A Merchant Seamen, The Early Days

oldutot
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Captain Scott was a British sail training ship. Home port Buckie, Scotland. I was a sea cadet in 1977 aboard this 150 ft. top gallant schooner class. Back then I cruise the Mediterranean sea

Edited by Boss Man
media tags to show video

Jake
Posted
Posted
The Captain Scott was a British sail training ship. Home port Buckie, Scotland. I was a sea cadet in 1977 aboard this 150 ft. top gallant schooner class. Back then I cruise the Mediterranean sea
Hello Oldutot,Excellent video of Captain Scott. I would have love to see her all out under sails trying to bury the rails!Thank you for sharing your early training as a merchant sailor.Respectfully -- Jake

Singers
Posted
Posted
Hello Oldutot,Excellent video of Captain Scott. I would have love to see her all out under sails trying to bury the rails!Thank you for sharing your early training as a merchant sailor.Respectfully -- Jake
Why do we waste our time evoking the age of Sail and Steam.?? IT was extremely hard work AND dangerous!!WE love it because there was a human element involved in the process to make IT work... US...!! Not a "Chip"?.You may diisagree.?UK Tom

Jake
Posted
Posted
Why do we waste our time evoking the age of Sail and Steam.?? IT was extremely hard work AND dangerous!!WE love it because there was a human element involved in the process to make IT work... US...!! Not a "Chip"?.You may diisagree.?UK Tom
Hello Tom from UK,I totally agree! Under full power with the jib and main sail trimmed perfectly, feeling how she glides through the water with only the fingertips on the helm, a hot cup of coffee (spiked of course) and maybe a warm body by your side -- yep, I'd take that any day. I'm sure you felt it also Tom -- it's like a free ride off Mother Nature and it's soothes the savage beast within us all.Respectfully -- Jake

oldutot
Posted
Posted
Tom Old sailors quote. Back in the day we had wooden ships with iron men, now we have iron ships with men with paper arses.

Singers
Posted
Posted
Tom Old sailors quote. Back in the day we had wooden ships with iron men, now we have iron ships with men with paper arses.
Hi Oldutot,Thanks for a BIG belly laugh. A good start to my day. Steam above refers to Steam Trains.Regards,UK Tom

Singers
Posted
Posted
Hello Tom from UK,I totally agree! Under full power with the jib and main sail trimmed perfectly, feeling how she glides through the water with only the fingertips on the helm, a hot cup of coffee (spiked of course) and maybe a warm body by your side -- yep, I'd take that any day. I'm sure you felt it also Tom -- it's like a free ride off Mother Nature and it's soothes the savage beast within us all.Respectfully -- Jake
Yes Jake - with full sail and in the East Mediterranean - pure Bliss. Then the natural rise and fall on the waves has a certain effect on the Lady companion....Regards,UK Tom