When Poverty Leads To Suicide.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

This seems to be happening way too much lately. I guess not everyone is able to cope with the extreme poverty in the Philippines and I guess this guy just gave up but I have to wonder if they were so poor, how was his family heading to the disco? I guess discos are free to enter and dance in? I have never been to one here, so anyone know if there is a cover charge or if people are forced to buy drinks in order to get in?Link to this sad story

TheMason
Posted
Posted
This seems to be happening way too much lately. I guess not everyone is able to cope with the extreme poverty in the Philippines and I guess this guy just gave up but I have to wonder if they were so poor, how was his family heading to the disco? I guess discos are free to enter and dance in? I have never been to one here, so anyone know if there is a cover charge or if people are forced to buy drinks in order to get in?Link to this sad story
The story says there was a benefit dance at their barangay hall, so I suspect it was a free dance. You don't read much about suicide amongst the poor here. I'm not sure if that's because people don't do it as often or because it just isn't reported. Suicide is the only sin the Catholic church says you can't be forgiven for. Priests won't perform last rites on the body of a suicide and I don't think you can be buried on Church ground. I think this stance on suicide keeps the rate lower than in other poor countries. When I was living in Inida, you would read stories like this very frequently. When the rains were bad there would be big news stories about how high the govt. expected the suicide rate amongst farmers to climb.

Singers
Posted
Posted
The story says there was a benefit dance at their barangay hall, so I suspect it was a free dance. You don't read much about suicide amongst the poor here. I'm not sure if that's because people don't do it as often or because it just isn't reported. Suicide is the only sin the Catholic church says you can't be forgiven for. Priests won't perform last rites on the body of a suicide and I don't think you can be buried on Church ground. I think this stance on suicide keeps the rate lower than in other poor countries. When I was living in Inida, you would read stories like this very frequently. When the rains were bad there would be big news stories about how high the govt. expected the suicide rate amongst farmers to climb.
"Suicide is the only sin the Catholic church says you can't be forgiven for"Dead already! One cares?? - Don't worry Be happy.? Bobby McFerrin.. he also topped himself - Allegedly!.I tried this many , many, times but my eX wife would never go for IT.!The highest incidences of Suicide's in UK rates includes Farmers and Dentists... ??UK Tom

TheMason
Posted
Posted
"Suicide is the only sin the Catholic church says you can't be forgiven for"Dead already! One cares?? - Don't worry Be happy.? Bobby McFerrin.. he also topped himself - Allegedly!.I tried this many , many, times but my eX wife would never go for IT.!The highest incidences of Suicide's in UK rates includes Farmers and Dentists... ??UK Tom
If you believe in the Catholic faith, it means a lot. The souls of people that commit suicide are damned for eternity. No stay in purgatory or trip to heaven for them. Since the sin of suicide cannot be confessed and forgiven, it remains on your soul forever.If you don't believe, it doesn't matter at all.

Singers
Posted
Posted
If you believe in the Catholic faith, it means a lot. The souls of people that commit suicide are damned for eternity. No stay in purgatory or trip to heaven for them. Since the sin of suicide cannot be confessed and forgiven, it remains on your soul forever.If you don't believe, it doesn't matter at all.
So one cannot pray for God to "rest their Souls"?.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Suicide is more common than it seems.. I doubt it just doesn't get published as much. A young girl near the main road from my house killed herself about a year and a half ago because of being poor It didn't make any headlines although she was still at school age. Why? Because no doubt its reported as something else so that she can be buried. Im not going to get into debates on religion as I haven`t seen any good of any religion since they were first sold as the first travelling salesman's way to get money out of people.. so ill be quiet on that..

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Could we move away from the religious or religion part of this topic please,there is always room in the World Events Forum to debate this.:crack-up: