A New Project Of Mine

softail
Posted
Posted (edited)

I never got the chance know my Grandfather who was a King County Sheriff in Washington State. He will killed in the line of duty in 1935 and has always been a mystery to me untill now. I have come across a batch of letter that he had written from 1914 thru 1918 to his mother. They take him from a young man working on the farm and trapping and hunting thru France in WW1. I have just started to transcribe the letters, not an easy job as they were written in the backwoods type of language of the time. They are a snapshot of a different time.I'm not sure if it would be of interest to the membership if I were to post from time to time some of the letters which I think might be of interest to the members. Let me know if you are interested.Here is the King County Memorial site with his picture and an account of what happened. http://www.odmp.org/...f-thomas-meehanDoug and Sally

Edited by softail

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I never got the chance know my Grandfather who was a King County Sheriff in Washington State. He will killed in the line of duty in 1935 and has always been a mystery to me untill now. I have come across a batch of letter that he had written from 1914 thru 1918 to his mother. They take him from a young man working on the farm and trapping and hunting thru France in WW1. I have just started to transcribe the letters, not an easy job as they were written in the backwoods type of language of the time. They are a snapshot of a different time.I'm not sure if it would be of interest to the membership if I were to post from time to time some of the letters which I think might be of interest to the members. Let me know if you are interested.Here is the King County Memorial site with his picture and an account of what happened. http://www.odmp.org/...f-thomas-meehanDoug and Sally
I know it would be of interest to me :crack-up: and if anyone is not interested then they do not have to read them. Feel free to post some and if you can translate them the best you can then that too would make it more interesting.

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I would love to hear about the way it was back then. I,m sure he was an interesting man

softail
Posted
Posted

Maukesha, Wis. Jan 10 1911

Dear Mother:I will drop you a fw lines wishing you all well as we are know. Willie had blood poison in his hand but he is over it know. As I made a raise to help Willie a little I will send you some which you have been expecting fore some time. I was to Jims for xmass and to Millwaukee fore New Years they made a awful noise on the New Years eave fore all the whisles bells and guns for about 1

softail
Posted
Posted

Fosston Minn

March 5 1913

Dear Mother:I will drop you a line fore you all hopeing you are well as I am.I was up to Lengly a little while helping Archie Rowe hall oad plank and switch ties. I did not get in much time but I got a weeks board just the same, it was pretty bad road so we stoped but it is snowing today maby we will be back halling again in a couple of days. You asked me about money, well I am not broke yet and I dont want to get any if I can help it, if I can get in a couple of weeks halling yet I can make it all right I guess.Was their a letter come there for me forwarded from Walworth Wis.there is a girl there I now and she wrote to me and said that there was a letter in the post office and she had the master foreward it to Tocoma, that happened before she knew I was here.I was wondering who it was from. We did not have much cold weather here yet only about one week real cold the rest has been pretty good. Has it stoped raining out there yet, I suppose it has by this time.I have not sold the hay yet, the market is very poor this year but I am keeping pretty clost track. I had a chance to sell some but I was afraid of getting beet out of it so I balked out.As news are scarse I will close.

Your boy

Thomas

softail
Posted
Posted

Fosston Minn

April 2 1914

Dear Mother:I will drop you a few lines. I received your letter when we was halling hay to town. Well the hay is balled and halled it was finished up baling March 20 and had it loaded March 23rd. Theres 23870 lbs it lacks 130 lbs of beeing 12 tons but there was 1 ton and 90 lbs we could not get in the car so we stored that in Holden & Handcocks barn. I will see what I can do with it as soon as I get a chance. What hay that went in the car sold for $12.00 a ton on the car. I did not get that money yet but I sold it through Holden & Handcock and they gurantee the money and that wont come till the returns of the car comes. I expect it will come about Monday or tuedsay.It cost $3.00 a ton to get it pressed and halled, it comes to $35.80