Sending Laptops To Pi

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

My research into this online is turning into a major PITA. I have some used laptops the family is interested in. I was going to pack them in a Balikabayan box. LBC says their is an extra fee for these items. Is this the customs fee or just them trying to squeeze a few extra dollars out of me?One family member wants one sent sooner and is willing to pay the extra shipping. Some information I find says there is a 40% duty tax on them? I would hate to send something FedEx or LBC airmail and then be hit with $200 plus in customs fee's.What are your experiences with customs fee's and shipping of these types of items?Currently I have no one to hand carry, so that is not an option for me at the moment.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
My research into this online is turning into a major PITA. I have some used laptops the family is interested in. I was going to pack them in a Balikabayan box. LBC says their is an extra fee for these items. Is this the customs fee or just them trying to squeeze a few extra dollars out of me?One family member wants one sent sooner and is willing to pay the extra shipping. Some information I find says there is a 40% duty tax on them? I would hate to send something FedEx or LBC airmail and then be hit with $200 plus in customs fee's.What are your experiences with customs fee's and shipping of these types of items?Currently I have no one to hand carry, so that is not an option for me at the moment.
We have found that the best idea is to not tell anyone they are in the balikbayan boxes and just list personal items and clothing. If you list them then there will be a fee for duties. It seems everyone I know who has shipped a balikbayn box has gotten them so while you do take the chance of loss, it seems that rarely ever happens. From what I have been told, most other packages get opened and people are then charged for duty based on what the Philippines feels they are worth and not what you say they are worth. I know you said hand carry was not possible for you but that is what we do and I usually bring two laptops in my laptop case, one for me and one for my wife.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the quick response Mr. Lee. I sort of figured the best way would be to not mention them on the Balikabayan Box paperwork. How much does everyone usually list? I am a novice at sending them. Just guess I am being a bit paranoid about what to list to not attract attention.The next opportunity for carry in for me will be June. I have a few Netbooks to bring in.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the quick response Mr. Lee. I sort of figured the best way would be to not mention them on the Balikabayan Box paperwork. How much does everyone usually list? I am a novice at sending them. Just guess I am being a bit paranoid about what to list to not attract attention.The next opportunity for carry in for me will be June. I have a few Netbooks to bring in.
My wife just lists personal items and used clothing and with no real value because used items have little real value in the US. As for your next trip being June, seems almost the same time a box would take anyway (2 to 3 monts), so just carry two or three laptops in yours and your wifes personal items and you should be covered. My wife uses one of those very large laptop pocketbooks when we travel and she puts her regular pocketbook in that and then there is room for a netbook in there and I have a laptop case big enough for a 17" laptop but only carry a 15.3" one and a 13 inch one in the same case and while it gets a little heavy at times, we do manage to bring them in that way and are never asked about my laptop case. Of course we end up bringing them back to the US each year so no duties would be due on them anyway but I am considering leaving one here in our condo to make it easier to bring an extra one on the next trip.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

These laptops would be going to Manila. They claim the balikabayan box would arrive in 30 days from California. I intercepted a few laptops heading to the recyclers and was able to salvage a few of them. I was going to bring 3 in June.

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I just sent 2 desktops and 2 laptops to the Philippines in a BB. I never even wrote what was in the box. They said it would take 30 days but it ended up being 2 months. But they arrived safe and sound. It cost me $125 to send the box.

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
I just sent 2 desktops and 2 laptops to the Philippines in a BB. I never even wrote what was in the box. They said it would take 30 days but it ended up being 2 months. But they arrived safe and sound. It cost me $125 to send the box.
I've also sent laptops and desktops via BB with no problems. I've also sent via UPS alternatively declared and it was not inspected. Just recognize there is a risk.

• 1 month later...
love2winalot
Posted
Posted

Hiya. We have been shipping boxes to the Philippines for over 18 years. My wife usually uses who ever has a sale going on. The cost from Las Vegas is $45 to Manilla, and $50 to Morong. We have never had a box not make it there, and never had any items come up missing from the box. Here is the Deal.All shippers have pretty much the same Disclosure form. No fire arms, explosives, electronics, and so on. This is Required by them to be in compliance with importing ito the Philippines. That being said, and excluding LBC, "they are so big, and have so many customers they might actually go my the book", The restrictions are just a suggestion.We have sent:TV'sBig Screen 62" TVStereo systemPlay stations3 computerswalkmans, cd players, ectMicrowave ovenand all the usual items people send.Everybox say on the list of items:ClothsCan food, spam, ectGatoraideBedding itemspots an pansdishesHere is why some shipments take longer to arrive than others. The shipping company is not going to pay for a 1/2, or 3/4 full container. When they get enough boxes to, FILL the Shipping Container, then they actually get shipped. Otherwise your box is just sitting around someplace. At Subic Motors, and other places, the Used Cars from Japan they have 4-sale there were not shipped in as a Car. They were cut in two, and then shipped, and welded back together. This way, at customs, they were importing, "Parts", and not Vehicles, and thus pay a whole lot less tax.From America the people will ship Cars into the Philippines without claiming a car is in the container. They but the boxes around the container. Put the car in, all the way to the back. Build a special Pallet to surround the car, "to protect it", and fill the container with Boxes. If the container is selected for a Spot Check, all they see are the boxes. See, it is not just all of us coming up with ways to make money in the Philippines, it is also people from the Philippins coming up with, "creative" ways to make money in our countries.

Balintawak
Posted
Posted
Hiya. We have been shipping boxes to the Philippines for over 18 years. My wife usually uses who ever has a sale going on. The cost from Las Vegas is $45 to Manilla, and $50 to Morong. We have never had a box not make it there, and never had any items come up missing from the box. Here is the Deal.All shippers have pretty much the same Disclosure form. No fire arms, explosives, electronics, and so on. This is Required by them to be in compliance with importing ito the Philippines. That being said, and excluding LBC, "they are so big, and have so many customers they might actually go my the book", The restrictions are just a suggestion.We have sent:TV'sBig Screen 62" TVStereo systemPlay stations3 computerswalkmans, cd players, ectMicrowave ovenand all the usual items people send.Everybox say on the list of items:ClothsCan food, spam, ectGatoraideBedding itemspots an pansdishesHere is why some shipments take longer to arrive than others. The shipping company is not going to pay for a 1/2, or 3/4 full container. When they get enough boxes to, FILL the Shipping Container, then they actually get shipped. Otherwise your box is just sitting around someplace. At Subic Motors, and other places, the Used Cars from Japan they have 4-sale there were not shipped in as a Car. They were cut in two, and then shipped, and welded back together. This way, at customs, they were importing, "Parts", and not Vehicles, and thus pay a whole lot less tax.From America the people will ship Cars into the Philippines without claiming a car is in the container. They but the boxes around the container. Put the car in, all the way to the back. Build a special Pallet to surround the car, "to protect it", and fill the container with Boxes. If the container is selected for a Spot Check, all they see are the boxes. See, it is not just all of us coming up with ways to make money in the Philippines, it is also people from the Philippines coming up with, "creative" ways to make money in our countries.
Nice Reply there. you been in business for a long time and seen it all I guess.However just to inform you all, we had a container with tv`s coming in from another Asian Country. However what the client didn't inform us before it was sent, was that he put in a motorcycle. So when the container went through the screening machine, ops.., Client got his tv`s but will have to pay 200.000 pesos for releasing the bike. Its new times coming-

Travis
Posted
Posted

how would someone even register a car brought in that way i do not think it is a good idea even if you can get away with it.