Do Not Carry Over P10,000 When Leaving The Philippines

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

NAIA passenger caught with P1MBy Rudy Santos Saturday, November 1, 2008 Customs officials at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) seized P1 million in 1,000-peso bills from a Japanese national who was about to board Thai Airlines TG 621 bound for Osaka at 2 p.m. yesterday.Aviation personnel turned over 48-year-old Hisao Sakan to customs police officer-in-charge Jun Moralde along with the cash found in his possession at the final check-in of the airport departure area.Sakan, a real estate agent from Shiga-Ken Kukatsu-Shi, Nishiyagura, is now under investigation while the bills are being counted prior to seizure in favor of the government.Tess Roque, deputy collector for passenger services, said Sakan was carrying P600,000 in his hand-carried case, while another P400,000 was found inside his black trolley bag.Roque said Central Bank regulations require that a departing passenger could bring out of the country only P10,000, or $10,000.Any amount in excess is subject to confiscation, even if declared, Roque added.For more on this story go to http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Headline...aid=20081031116

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
NAIA passenger caught with P1MBy Rudy Santos Saturday, November 1, 2008 Customs officials at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) seized P1 million in 1,000-peso bills from a Japanese national who was about to board Thai Airlines TG 621 bound for Osaka at 2 p.m. yesterday.Aviation personnel turned over 48-year-old Hisao Sakan to customs police officer-in-charge Jun Moralde along with the cash found in his possession at the final check-in of the airport departure area.Sakan, a real estate agent from Shiga-Ken Kukatsu-Shi, Nishiyagura, is now under investigation while the bills are being counted prior to seizure in favor of the government.Tess Roque, deputy collector for passenger services, said Sakan was carrying P600,000 in his hand-carried case, while another P400,000 was found inside his black trolley bag.Roque said Central Bank regulations require that a departing passenger could bring out of the country only P10,000, or $10,000.Any amount in excess is subject to confiscation, even if declared, Roque added.For more on this story go to http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Headline...aid=20081031116
Early this year on my flight to Cebu, had too fill in a declaration card stating if I was bringing more than $10.000 in with me. Never had to do it before.Laws are getting stricter now. :thumbsup:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I would never tell them that I had that much with me, and once when we had to carry a large sum, I kept it just under the legal amount. BTW, for those who do not know, the $10,000 or P10,000 is per family and the law used to be per person.To avoid problems, I either wire the money into our account there or write a check and deposit it into our account and wait the 3 weeks for it to clear.

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

When I first came to settle I brought well over $10k. As I didn't want hassle I didn't declare it and when my bank account was set up they accepted it without question.If you have over $10k, you should get a form completed but I'm sure it takes a while and after a long journey I'd prefer not to have the hassle. This was arriving at Cebu Mactan mind you, Manila may be more agressive.Back to the thread, I always used to carry more than 10k peso with me when leaving, noone ever checked my wallet or asked. Now I have no need to bother as I just leave spare cash here. Funny that it's 10k peso or $10k US, ie 500,000peso. Why not just change peso back to $?

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
When I first came to settle I brought well over $10k. As I didn't want hassle I didn't declare it and when my bank account was set up they accepted it without question.If you have over $10k, you should get a form completed but I'm sure it takes a while and after a long journey I'd prefer not to have the hassle. This was arriving at Cebu Mactan mind you, Manila may be more agressive.Back to the thread, I always used to carry more than 10k peso with me when leaving, noone ever checked my wallet or asked. Now I have no need to bother as I just leave spare cash here. Funny that it's 10k peso or $10k US, ie 500,000peso. Why not just change peso back to $?
According to the article he was trying to open a bank account but they wouldn't let him so he just decided to bring it back with him. If you fill a suitcase full of money you are asking for trouble. P15 or 20 thousand in your wallet is unlikely to be noticed unless you call attention to it.