9 Rapes In Philippines Daily

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I would have thought that since the country is made up mostly of christian people that rape would be a very low crime rate figure but the story below says differently.MANILA, Philippines

TheMason
Posted
Posted (edited)

Assuming a population of 94 million, 3159 rapes comes out to .03 per 1000 people. That number is extremely low compared to other countries. South Africa leads the world at 1.19 per 1000, Australia is # 3 at 0.77 per 1000, and the US has 0.30 per 1000.Of course, that is only reported rapes. Rape is typically under reported everywhere, but in countries like the Philippines where the rape victim is stigmatized I think the under reporting is greater.http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap_percap-crime-rapes-per-capita

Edited by TheMason

Demeter
Posted
Posted
but in countries like the Philippines where the rape victim is stigmatized I think the under reporting is greater.
This is true as most unreported rape cases took place in the provinces. Victims were threatened and the fear of losing face once the crime was reported has always kept the victims from revealing their plight.