Scenarios Of Doom If Polls Fail

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Will the elections fail and if so, how will it affect the foreigners living in the country? This could very well be a dangerous time for the whole country and a good time to keep a very low profile for expats. On Wednesday last week, National Grid Corp. of the Philippines placed Mindanao under red alert, warning that the region, home to about a fourth of the country’s 50 million voters, faced a critical power shortage that could disrupt the conduct of automated elections on the island.The warning triggered a call from a member of the House of Representatives to grant President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo emergency powers to ward off an energy crisis on Election Day.The proposed solution could allow Ms Arroyo to cling to power if the May general elections failed to elect a new set of national leaders.The May elections are fraught with more peril to the orderly transfer of power than any election since Edsa I.The whole story here

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I don't think the outcome of the election matters. If there is a successful election, none of the likely winners are bad for foreigners. If there is a failed election and GMA stays in power, we'll have pretty much the status quo. There is the possibility of civil unrest if that happens, but I don't think it will happen. The Filipinos I know are all too apathetic about politics to bother taking to the streets to protest anything that happens.There is the chance to get caught up in random election-related violence, but I don't see a scenario where foreigners will be singled out for attention.

Jake
Posted
Posted

I once saw a protest sign just outside the US Embassy saying YANKEES GO HOME! A bigger one alsosaying YANKEES GO HOME, but please take me with you!Jake