Translation Mix Up

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Officials in Wales mistakenly erected a road sign that read "I am not in the office at the moment" in Welsh after a translation mix-up.The sign originally said in English, "No entry for heavy goods vehicles. Residential site only," but when Swansea Council officials sent it to be translated, they received an automated e-mail written in Welsh that read: "I am not in the office at the moment. Please send any work to be translated."Unaware of the actual meaning of the e-mail, officials had the sign printed and put up near a supermarket, only realising their mistake when Welsh speakers pointed it out.All road signs in Wales are required to be written in English and Welsh."Our attention was drawn to the mistranslation of a sign at the junction of Clase Road and Pant-y-Blawd Road," a Swansea Council spokesman said."We took it down as soon as we were made aware of it and a correct sign will be installed as soon as possible."

On-in-2
Posted
Posted
Officials in Wales mistakenly erected a road sign that read "I am not in the office at the moment" in Welsh after a translation mix-up.;
I wonder how many forums have a member who is thinking about -blocking- the owner/admin.hehehe...I don't know about anyone else...but until you change that avatar, I ain't clicking on any of your posts!!! hahahaIt's probably disturbing to me because it reminds me of what I see in the mirror. Pete

Markham
Posted
Posted
Unaware of the actual meaning of the e-mail, officials had the sign printed and put up near a supermarket, only realising their mistake when Welsh speakers pointed it out.
This is inexcusable as Council employees must be bi-lingual, preferably with Welsh as their first language.
All road signs in Wales are required to be written in English and Welsh.
That's true - and it's not just road signs but all signage. The problem, however, is that there's currently no standardisation as to which language appears first - in some parts of Wales, the signs will be in English first and then Welsh whilst in other parts, it's the converse. Coincidentally, many public companies' names are both in Welsh and English, for example the company that's responsible for water in Wales is called "Dwr Cymru Welsh Water" - which in English means "Welsh Water Welsh Water"! ("Dwr Cymru" is pronounced 'Dooer Kumrie' if you're interested :smile:)But you know, the signage gaff you mentioned is one of many that frequently happen in Wales. Not so long ago, a council erected a road sign which, in English, said "Keep Left" and in Welsh "Keep Right".Mark

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Officials in Wales mistakenly erected a road sign that read "I am not in the office at the moment" in Welsh after a translation mix-up.;
I wonder how many forums have a member who is thinking about -blocking- the owner/admin.hehehe...I don't know about anyone else...but until you change that avatar, I ain't clicking on any of your posts!!! hahahaIt's probably disturbing to me because it reminds me of what I see in the mirror. Pete
Oh, I dressed up in my best wheelbarrow for that pic too, guess I should ban myself :13_4_10[1]: Tom

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Being heavy is a sign of wealth in the Philippines, so I think Boss Man is trying to tell us all that he is very, very, very, very rich. SugarwareZ-007.gifSugarwareZ-011.gif

Mik
Posted
Posted

When is the baby due? Looks like you are ready to nurse it. (How do you say that in Welsh?)

Oh, I dressed up in my best wheelbarrow for that pic too, guess I should ban myself :1 (235): Tom

Markham
Posted
Posted

Pryd ydy 'r baban ddyled? Dremiau cara ach 'n barod at fag 'i. ( Fel ddeudi a i mewn Cymraeg? )Well, you did ask!Mark