Cebu Opens Doors For New Nuclear Plant

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Is this good or bad for Cebu? Do you think the Philippines has the ability to properly train security forces to protect a facility from rebel attacks? http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/246594/cebu-opens-doors-new-nuclear-plant

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Is this good or bad for Cebu? Do you think the Philippines has the ability to properly train security forces to protect a facility from rebel attacks? http://www.mb.com.ph...w-nuclear-plant
No, I don't think they can protect from an attack. I also don't think they can manage to maintain the facility properly. Look at all the other infrastructure that is decaying due to poor maintenance and lack of funds. Why would this nuclear plant be any different? They can't even maintain their coal power plants properly.Look at what is going on with the nuclear plant in Vermont, USA now. The plant owners/operators have been lying to officials for years about their maintenance and facilities. As a result, toxic chemicals have leaked into the ground water. The US has the resources and systems in place to ensure this doesn't happen, yet it still happened. I don't believe for 1 second that the Philippines can or will do a better job of regulating nuclear plants and maintaining safe practices than the US has done.Of course, being the Philippines, nobody will really care if there are toxic chemicals in the water. The rich will buy clean water and the poor...well, nobody really cares about them anyway.

mike
Posted
Posted
Is this good or bad for Cebu? Do you think the Philippines has the ability to properly train security forces to protect a facility from rebel attacks? http://www.mb.com.ph...w-nuclear-plant
No, I don't think they can protect from an attack. I also don't think they can manage to maintain the facility properly. Look at all the other infrastructure that is decaying due to poor maintenance and lack of funds. Why would this nuclear plant be any different? They can't even maintain their coal power plants properly.Look at what is going on with the nuclear plant in Vermont, USA now. The plant owners/operators have been lying to officials for years about their maintenance and facilities. As a result, toxic chemicals have leaked into the ground water. The US has the resources and systems in place to ensure this doesn't happen, yet it still happened. I don't believe for 1 second that the Philippines can or will do a better job of regulating nuclear plants and maintaining safe practices than the US has done.Of course, being the Philippines, nobody will really care if there are toxic chemicals in the water. The rich will buy clean water and the poor...well, nobody really cares about them anyway.
No Pinoy rebels have shown a liking for suicide attacks, yet messing with a nuclear power plant would be just that.I think they can and will resource such a security blanket and it will be very efficient and effective. They may even have some foreign specialized assistance in doing soFair to say it will not be the usual security arrangements that we can and do question.M

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Its not IF they can but they HAVE to.. the power needs are already over capacity and it won't get any better. The question is who do they partner with it to get it constructed and maintained? If the world had gone nuclear power over a decade ago I wonder if we would still be hearing about global warming.. as by now the disposal techniques would have developed over a decade instead of just sat on a dusty shelf. Anyway getting back to topic all for it if its done properly but no doubt like SRP it will probably take years for things to be agreed.

Singers
Posted
Posted
Frightening prospect! necessary or not. :oA South Korean project is likely.?Must now check the prevailing wind is not South Westerly in Tacloban. NIMBY(not in my back yard)UK Tom