Why Do People Study In The Philippines?

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Its something I find totally bizarre why people will graduate as a Doctor, Dentist etc.. then as soon as they finish go and retrain to be a nurse or caregiver so they can work abroad. Recently it came up (this week with a friend) as he just finished 9 years of study and now looking to study as a welder for a few months so he can leave RP.. Big question is why do so many people waste so much time and money studying something they will never do?

Singers
Posted
Posted
Its something I find totally bizarre why people will graduate as a Doctor, Dentist etc.. then as soon as they finish go and retrain to be a nurse or caregiver so they can work abroad. Recently it came up (this week with a friend) as he just finished 9 years of study and now looking to study as a welder for a few months so he can leave RP.. Big question is why do so many people waste so much time and money studying something they will never do?
????????????? and?????????????Now scratching my head. ???The "status and prestige" of a Degree perhaps. ?? No - can't eat that!.No - I do not see any sense in it.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I would have to guess based on my own experience with family that it is because someone else has paid for it all, and being in school and being supported while in school is probably much easier than having to work, and then comes the time when they must graduate and then be on their own, and then they tell whoever paid for it all that they now need to retrain for another position because there are no jobs in the field they trained for, and thus they go back to school and have someone support them again and then eventually the well runs dry and it then becomes time to go to the land of plenty where money is said to grow on trees and then when they get there, they wake up from the fairly tale life they have had lived all those earlier years and realize there is no money tree.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I would have to guess based on my own experience with family that it is because someone else has paid for it all, and being in school and being supported while in school is probably much easier than having to work, and then comes the time when they must graduate and then be on their own, and then they tell whoever paid for it all that they now need to retrain for another position because there are no jobs in the field they trained for, and thus they go back to school and have someone support them again and then eventually the well runs dry and it then becomes time to go to the land of plenty where money is said to grow on trees and then when they get there, they wake up from the fairly tale life they have had lived all those earlier years and realize there is no money tree. :cool_beans:
:cool_beans: oh my god,there is no money tree !!!!!

softail
Posted
Posted

This is an interesting subject. My wife

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
This is an interesting subject. My wife's niece graduated from the University of Kansas with a Doctorate in physics this last May, we attended the Hooding ceremony, quite an affair. I believe this took like mmm 8 years I guess. She and her boyfriend at the time were recruited from the University of the Philippines Los Banos with full funding including a stipend for living expenses. No sooner did her boyfriend graduate, he broke up with her and is now studying to be a priest.I suspect that probably he is afraid to hop off the gravy train, roll up his sleeves and go to work. A friend of mine who is a Priest said it could be at least another 8 years or more before he is done studying for the Priesthood. Go figure.Doug and Sally
I am pretty sure that I have already figured it out and stated it in my above post. Many of the poor in many countries and especially the Philippines where no government support is available, will remain poor forever because of the attitude of letting someone else provide for them so that they can sit on their arses and not have to provide for themselves or so they can buy unnecessary things with the money sent home. Now mind you all, that I said many and not all because I am sure there are also many exceptions to the many who actually want to have a better life and are willing to work for it, but at the same time I feel that the Philippine mentality structure of children and family having to provide for others who refuse to work is a very bad setup and really needs to be addressed before any meaningful change can ever come about in the Philippines. IMO, there is nothing wrong with providing for those who are hard working and wish to have a better life for themselves, or with providing for food and medical assistance for those who cannot afford to do so for themselves, but giving to those who refuse to even try to earn money for themselves IMO only exacerbates the situation.

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I think people want to learn a particular field so they study for it in good faith. Then they realize they can't get a job doing that in the RP, so they have to be re-trained for something else. I don't have the Filipino experience to draw on, but I would think that kids here grow up thinking, 'I want to be a doctor, or a scientist, or dentist, etc.' rather than thinking, 'I want to be a welder and work menial jobs in Saudi Arabia.' So, they study for their dreams, not for reality. Unfortunately, the economic realities of life hit them and they settle for the work that they can do to earn money for their family.As for the guy wanting to join the priesthood, I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he is answering God's call to service and does not control the timing of the calling.

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
I think people want to learn a particular field so they study for it in good faith. Then they realize they can't get a job doing that in the RP, so they have to be re-trained for something else. I don't have the Filipino experience to draw on, but I would think that kids here grow up thinking, 'I want to be a doctor, or a scientist, or dentist, etc.' rather than thinking, 'I want to be a welder and work menial jobs in Saudi Arabia.' So, they study for their dreams, not for reality. Unfortunately, the economic realities of life hit them and they settle for the work that they can do to earn money for their family.As for the guy wanting to join the priesthood, I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he is answering God's call to service and does not control the timing of the calling.
I wonder what the eX GF had to say???? about his "Calling".???23_11_60[2].gif I expect :th_thbarbaque: something like :728:"BOBBIT" you wont be needing THAT anymore Darling?!!! :wasntme: perhaps!UK Tom Edited by Singers

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I wonder what the eX GF had to say???? about his "Calling".???23_11_60[2].gif I expect :th_thbarbaque: something like
Well....I'm guessing she wasn't too thrilled....her BF took a look at his options and decided a life of celibacy was better than a life with her....that's got to bruise the ego a bit.