Gym/health Club Reviews

Inspector
Posted
Posted

I've been staying in Cebu quite a bit recently, and have worked out in all the major gyms in Cebu city. Hopefully this review will help any visitor regarding their living here versus a visit. Remember, your needs will dictate, as will your duration/wallet, as to what gym you need. I have also exercised in many NON air con gyms as I am a bit hardcore with my lifting, however due to the heat here, I will only list the "club" types. Prices vary, and some I do not remember exact costs as I was only joining for 1-3 months at a time. I do remember costs as high or reasonable, so I will list it as a worth it or not, and in order of high to low.Remember one important aspect in joining a gym. Will it fit your needs? Remember, this is the Philippines, and many of the items made here are smaller. Does it have enough weights? How is the ATMOSPHERE? Do you get a good vibe from the place? This is why I strongly suggest that you join for the least amount of time offered despite the higher cost. Fitness First - By far the most complete gym in Cebu, located on the top floor of the Ayala Mall. The last I heard, it was run by a UK guy, and this place has it all. I actually do not know how anybody can afford it, as it is WAY overpriced, but if you have no problem with money and want the most "western" type gym you can get, this is it. For those stronger hard core lifters, this has a nice area for free weights, as well as the top level where they have a very spacious machine area. This, IMHO, is the most impressive area of the gym. For those who enjoy biking and running, they have more treadmills, steppers and bikes then the hair that is falling out of my head every day. Yes, a lot. For those with the money, a strong desire to be in shape and living in Cebu City, this is a fine gym. My issues with it, aside from the cost, are the fact you need to sign up for a year (they charge 550 pesos for a daily workout the last I heard) and it might be too much for many expats being most are a bit aged and retired, and do not need all the facilities. Remember, putting 2,000 treadmills is nice and you can get some shock and awe, but you are only using one. If you are 25 years old, rich and live in Cebu full time (not the typical expat combination) this IS the gym. It also lacks a swimming pool and jacuzzi. For this price, I would expect those in a tropical country. My review? 1%20%2840%29.gifClub Ultima - Alright, this is ONE gym I have not actually sweat in. Located on Osmena Boulevard in Tower 2. I came across this place looking at condos. This is as complete as the Fitness First, albeit smaller. It also has a huge swimming pool, jacuzzi section and all sorts of amazing things on different flloors you get to with an elevator. However, I am not sure if these "extras" come with the membership for the gym only. As I mentioned, I was looking to purchase a condo, and once I found out that I needed to pay near 10,000 american dollars to join the club first, and THEN be able to buy a condo, I laughed and walked out. However, this was AFTER the 12 hour tour of the complete tower. It was indeed impressive. However, that is for another post, and we will stick with the gym. I was told you can use this facility separate from actually buying a condo. It was also impressive to say the least. I do remember it being a "bit" cheaper then Fitness first, however, I am not sure if you can do a month by month. The security was a bit much for me, and while I would feel safe living there, I would find it a pain in the ass going there to exercise daily. Still, you owe to yourself to check this place out. It IS amazing, and the gym high tech and very modern. My review? :cool_beans:Citigym - This gym is located at the waterfront hotel, in the basement. The great thing about this gym is they allow you to use their pool, and the pool is indeed beautiful. They also allow for month by month, which includes parking in their garage. Inside the gym you will be issued a ID card, and given a key for a locker, and two towels. The area is small, but the equipment is top notch. Again, not near as the amount as Fitness First, but you can only use one bench press or smith machine at a time, and if that piece is working and the gym is not over membered (ssshhh...I just made that word up), you will be fine here. The staff is wonderful, the area secure without being overbearing like Club Ultima, and they even have a boxing area for any old expats that still want to hit the heavy bag remembering the ex-wife and all your money she has made from your divorce. My only issue I had here was personal in nature, as a younger expat seemed to feel the entire gym was his. He was very well built, not a bulk machine, but more a fitness type. However, he decided that he was going to superset with 5 pieces of equipment located all over the gym. For those unaware of a superset, it's a way of doing more then one bodypart in order to save time. You finish a set of chest presses, then do some calf raises, and then some crunches ect. This is not only rude, but illegal to do in most gyms in the USA. Sure, so is peeing in the shower, and I do that, but who's looking? Anyway, I jumped on the machine that was in his "set", a calf machine and just sat. He came over and looked at me, and I just sat there listening to my ipod and Social Distortion. I seen him talking to me, because his lips were moving, but I just did my 20 reps and sat again. On the way out a worker applauded me, and said they get complaints of him doing that and he will not stop. Not when I was there. I continued to use his superset equipment and ignored him until he finally stopped coming at my time. My review? :thumbsup:Holiday Gym and Spa - Decent for what you get, which includes a very large lap pool and not much else. In Banilad, by the Tinderbox. The equipment here is below average and is lacking for hard core lifters. They do not have an arm curl machine, so those old timers wanting to make some guns, beware of your ulnar nerve. Free weights, curls and old do not mix very well. They also have low stacks, so again, if you are a bit stronger then the rest of the world, you will want to find a better equipped gym. The pool IS the selling point here, as it is a nice exercise type pool. They also have tables and a health bar where you can eat. IMHO, there are better places. This reminds me of some of those non air con gyms, and the type of equipment they use. You know, the nails as pins for the stack pieces, with a lot of the equipment made for smaller filipino's. If you do not like hitting your head on the jeepney roof as you sit in it, this might not be the place for you as you try and do some leg lifts. As mentioned, whenever you try a gym, and you are either tall or strong, you MUST actually try ALL the equipment. This gym is case in point as to why. Remember, join a gym for a few days first, and then decide. Holiday also has a average boxing gym. My review? 1%20%2840%29.gifMetro Sports - This is located near the Sunflower gym. It has a huge badminton area and above a great gym for MY needs. Remember, I am a bit hardcore and not looking for certain things another lifter might need. The equipment, while basic, fits me well. They have enough weights. They have a great atmosphere. Granted, the lockerroom is not air conditioned, and it is small, so for those larger guys, you might have to be careful your thing does not bounce off another mans ass as you pass, but the gym is well kept, the staff nice, and you can get a nice pump and stronger. It also has a huge boxing area and some world class fighters that can train you. The aerobic room enough for your needs, with the TV's. If you join the entire area, with badminton, you will also get the rock climbing area so you can fall, break your leg and use the fine Cebu hospitals. Alright, that was sarcastic. IMHO, this is a great gym and a great price. Hey, Thursday night you can get pumped up and then watch STAGE CREW at the Sunflower...and actually be buff enough to get a lady because of your big pecs and not your fat wallet. :tiphat:My review? :woohoo::thumbs-up-smile:Slimmers World - Located at the SM Mall. This is an overpriced sh&t hole. It cost nearly as much as Fitness First, but with less equipment then my home gym I had in the states. They have large plates that look like 20kg's (the 45 pounders), but actually weight 5. Oh, and they might have three of them. So if any of you guys need to LOOK like you are in the 400 pound bench press club, you just might do it here, despite the fact it will be 60 pounds. The place is a complete joke. The ONLY pluses I can give is it is in the mall, and near the cool KMK bus, so if you are heading towards or from Talisay, it is a good final destination. But the prices there? The equipment is old, the clients are old, and you need your own lock, your own towels, and own stupidity to join this place. A tiny gym with tiny weights and crappy equipment, at a laugh out loud hefty price. Go elsewhere. My review? forrest-gump-fight-282x300.jpg RUN AWAY!I have also exercised at coach pacquiao's, in the JY Square Mall, 2nd floor. This is Manny's uncle, or that was the chismosa I heard. He wanted to do an article in a paper he does a column, showing yours truly and that you can get big without the use of steroids. I explained to him about genetics, and any pinoy that see's Arnold or the new bigger boys of today winning those competitions, they must realize that asians simply can not get that big due to genetics, no matter if they take steroids or not. As far as the gym? It is a decent gym, having Nautilus machines, but I was able to stack them all, so had to move on as it was lacking big time in free weights. Rule of thumb: If a gym has the screw on collars with a threaded bar, move on. They charge too much for what they have, BUT, it is air conditioned and if you not looking for free weights and just keeping toned, you may want to try this one. Personally, it is so close to the Waterfront I would go there over this place, but to each there own. That concludes my review. Hope this helps any of those relocating, visiting or living here now that have decided to get in shape. :cheersty:

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Inspector,Although I don't frequent any fitness centers either here or aboard, i am very impressed with yourextensive review. Keep on posting my friend, you're doing fine!Respectfully -- Jake

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Yes inspector, thank you for the extensive review of the gyms.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Thanks very much for the excellent review. I run about 3-4 miles and couldn't find any safe and decent place in or around Cebu City to jog so I was using Fitness First and paying 550p per day, which is ridiculous. They do have a monthly rate of 2500p, I think that's what they said; I don't recall the yearly. It is amazing how many treadmills they have but some of them have slipping belts which is very dangerous when running. They're all fairly new, however, they just need better maintenance. As you pointed out, they also have many of the latest universal machines. Never saw it crowded either, maybe because of the price. I also noticed the practice of wiping down the equipment after use doesn't exist too much there, at least not that I saw. I'll definitely try the others you recommended but I'm mainly interested in the treadmills. If anyone knows of a good outdoor park or place to run in Cebu I would love to know it.Thanks again.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Thanks very much for the excellent review. I run about 3-4 miles and couldn't find any safe and decent place in or around Cebu City to jog so I was using Fitness First and paying 550p per day, which is ridiculous. They do have a monthly rate of 2500p, I think that's what they said; I don't recall the yearly. It is amazing how many treadmills they have but some of them have slipping belts which is very dangerous when running. They're all fairly new, however, they just need better maintenance. As you pointed out, they also have many of the latest universal machines. Never saw it crowded either, maybe because of the price. I also noticed the practice of wiping down the equipment after use doesn't exist too much there, at least not that I saw. I'll definitely try the others you recommended but I'm mainly interested in the treadmills. If anyone knows of a good outdoor park or place to run in Cebu I would love to know it.Thanks again.
I have seen people running in the park on Osmena circle in years past, I have not checked it this year but that area is pretty safe in the daytime. Sorry Mike I forgot to mention that when you asked me in person while you were here.Anyone know if that park is still open to the public for running?

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I have seen people running in the park on Osmena circle in years past, I have not checked it this year but that area is pretty safe in the daytime. Sorry Mike I forgot to mention that when you asked me in person while you were here.Anyone know if that park is still open to the public for running?
Thanks Lee, but I was thinking of something much less crowded and polluted then that circle. Guess I'm spoiled living in FL in that regard. Probably doesn't exist in Cebu City.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Hi Mike. In the states I would do as you do, walk or run as I have always felt using a gym for these actions a bit expensive and silly. However, with the weather...rain,hot and cold...even in the states they are a nice thing to have to avoid the extemes. In the Philippines, there simply is, IMHO, too much pollution overall to jog anywhere. Now, I know of some nice places in the Subic freeport zone that you can run, and I am sure in Cebu City there is some park with "less" pollution, but I would do as you are, finding a gym with the treadmills to do the hamster actions. That all being said, I am now running a bit here, and if I do it very early (4 AM), I sort of beat the diesel.... and rat dogs. However, there is a group of three dogs that must smell my sweat a block away, as they simply await for me as I make this right turn, and there I am, knocking dog head with my stick while running. th_fluch.gifI could still try Metro Sports for the treadmills. You can also watch the badminton action down below, as well as the TV. IMHO, this gym is a well kept secret, and I enjoy it that way as it is never crowded....aside from the badminton.

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
Hi Mike. In the states I would do as you do, walk or run as I have always felt using a gym for these actions a bit expensive and silly. However, with the weather...rain,hot and cold...even in the states they are a nice thing to have to avoid the extemes. In the Philippines, there simply is, IMHO, too much pollution overall to jog anywhere. Now, I know of some nice places in the Subic freeport zone that you can run, and I am sure in Cebu City there is some park with "less" pollution, but I would do as you are, finding a gym with the treadmills to do the hamster actions. That all being said, I am now running a bit here, and if I do it very early (4 AM), I sort of beat the diesel.... and rat dogs. However, there is a group of three dogs that must smell my sweat a block away, as they simply await for me as I make this right turn, and there I am, knocking dog head with my stick while running. th_fluch.gifI could still try Metro Sports for the treadmills. You can also watch the badminton action down below, as well as the TV. IMHO, this gym is a well kept secret, and I enjoy it that way as it is never crowded....aside from the badminton.
Great review! I had previously gathered and posted the prices for the gyms I visited. I have not been to all that you cited but included the prices for the Marriott, Holiday, Citigym, Fitness First.Don't know if you noted the Holiday spa in addition to the treadmills has an outdoor track for running. You essentially run around the perimeter of the building. There is overhead shelter so you can do this in the rain. I appreciate the difference between real running and running on a treadmill.Gold Heart

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Great review! I had previously gathered and posted the prices for the gyms I visited. I have not been to all that you cited but included the prices for the Marriott, Holiday, Citigym, Fitness First.Don't know if you noted the Holiday spa in addition to the treadmills has an outdoor track for running. You essentially run around the perimeter of the building. There is overhead shelter so you can do this in the rain. I appreciate the difference between real running and running on a treadmill.Gold Heart
Thanks Gold Heart. Yes at Holiday they do have that track and it goes past the pool on one side. Many western gyms have that as well, and sure beats running outside and wrecking your knee on the pavement holes all over the Philippines. And Holiday also is very spacious as far as the equipment area. And they also have a badminton area I did not mention. My issue was personal for me, as the equipment simply did not suit my needs.