Home Made Mexican - Yum Yum!

MattFromGA
Posted
Posted

Hope this is the right location for such a thread.....A friend of mine brought me 3 packs of corn tortillas from the USA. I'm now down to just 1 pack :(We just had an absolutely amazing Mexican dinner, and I sure wish I took some pics. I will on the next one. My "signature dish" is shredded beef buritos. We made our own flower tortillas for the buritos/chimichangas, our own corn chips from the corn tortillas, home made refried beens and some nice spanish rice sold in small packs in Metro Ayala. I slow cook a chunk of beef for about 14 hours, shred it up and cook it again with taco seasoning. That is the filling for the buritos. They definately kick-butt!!It was as good as eating at a solid tex-mex restaurant in the states. Man! The chips went over well - really, really well. I always know Filipinos love the food when they start to talk about how they could sell it in some shop to the locals. I have yet to find a place here in the Philippines that sell solid and fresh corn chips like you usually get for free at the tex-mex places in the USA. I cut the corn tortillas into 4 pieces each and deep fry till on the edge of being golden brown. There are never any left overs of the chips. Amazingly, a pack of 75 tortillas cost me just $2. Thats 300 corn chips in each pack.I did manage to score a nice el paso enchilada sauce, so the next Mexican night will be chicken enchiladas rolled in corn tortillas. Man! I thought I'd have to go back to the USA to get a Mexican dinner as good as this. Those corn tortillas really make a big difference in the overall quality.

BobNChe
Posted
Posted (edited)

On a fairly regular basis, Ayala has corn tortillas which look perfectly good. I did not try them, but they have them quite often. The Old El Paso ones are WAY expensive!Let's all do a Mexican night soon! I'm up for it!!!

Edited by BobNChe

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
On a fairly regular basis, Ayala has corn tortillas which look perfectly good. I did not try them, but they have them quite often. The Old El Paso ones are WAY expensive!Let's all do a Mexican night soon! I'm up for it!!!
OK we will be here for another month or so but first we need to find a good Mexican restaurant and also get past this get together without any hitches, I know how about Matt's house Mexican restaurant.

love2winalot
Posted
Posted

Hiya. Yea, giving them food they have never eaten before Rocks. Once you get past the, "this is not going to kill me is it?", thoughts, and they try it, they can;t get enough. I made a Turkey for New Years, and it went from them saying to each other, "You try it first. No, You try it. I,m not trying it until you do".........into them saying, "So,......munch munch munch...........So, this is why you are so fat, Eating like this all the time". They actually want me to bring a Turkey with me when i come on Wednesday. hehehehe.

Inspector
Posted
Posted

I make some very good homemade shrimp tacos. As Bob says, you can find the ingredients at Ayala..not sure if it is Rustans or other, but I have seen them. :(