Elderly Swiss-Born Man Kidnapped In Zamboanga

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Gunmen have kidnapped an elderly Swiss-born man this city where he had lived for decades, police said on Monday.Charlie Reith, 72, who is a naturalised Filipino, was abducted from his home in Zamboanga city while he was drinking with German friends on Sunday night, local police said in a statement. The eight gunmen escaped aboard three boats with Reith, the statement said. The statement gave no details as to the motive but Muslim rebels and bandits frequently carry out kidnappings for ransom in Zamboanga and other parts of the volatile southern Philippines' Mindanao region. Reith was married to a Filipina and had been living in the Philippines for decades. Complete story hereSo I guess the question is, why did they not take the Germans who were with him, or had they already gone home and why now? So is Zamboanga really safe for round eyes?

Travis
Posted
Posted

this seems to answer it cuz he owned a resort ie money & the German fought them off ie not likely with armed men hehehe & maybe he was the one to set him uphttp://www.sunstar.com.ph/network/armed-men-kidnap-swiss-man-zamboanga

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
Gunmen have kidnapped an elderly Swiss-born man this city where he had lived for decades, police said on Monday.Charlie Reith, 72, who is a naturalised Filipino, was abducted from his home in Zamboanga city while he was drinking with German friends on Sunday night, local police said in a statement. The eight gunmen escaped aboard three boats with Reith, the statement said. The statement gave no details as to the motive but Muslim rebels and bandits frequently carry out kidnappings for ransom in Zamboanga and other parts of the volatile southern Philippines' Mindanao region. Reith was married to a Filipina and had been living in the Philippines for decades. Complete story hereSo I guess the question is, why did they not take the Germans who were with him, or had they already gone home and why now? So is Zamboanga really safe for round eyes?
Mr Lee,The further south one travels the more one "feels" & "thinks" -- I Should have stayed HOME...Put "THE VILLAGE" visit on the "LONG finger" -- me thinks.....If a "local" were kidnapped a "Press Release" from a "Police spokesman" would suffice -- with a "Foreigner" the "BIG Chief's" are wheeled out... as per my previous post (to you) on travel "How safe are we" in Philippines........ UK Tom Edited by Singers

BobNChe
Posted
Posted

I know that some people get involved online with a Filipina from those areas and jump into things without knowledge. Others like that wild west type of environment and dig the thrill seeking! But as I have always said, if you have a choice of where to live in the Philippines, why would you choose the areas where trouble is known to be? This goes to show you that even when you think you are accepted and safe, sh&t can happen!

sparkys boss
Posted
Posted
I know that some people get involved online with a Filipina from those areas and jump into things without knowledge. Others like that wild west type of environment and dig the thrill seeking! But as I have always said, if you have a choice of where to live in the Philippines, why would you choose the areas where trouble is known to be? This goes to show you that even when you think you are accepted and safe, sh&t can happen!
did. and yes can be bad. i was there in 2008 and for me wasnt to bad to begin with. but everyone in her village knew in 2 days that i was a forienger. i'm not a kano. im native american /indian so i might have gotten away with more then anyone. since i did blend in alot more. but her cousin on the edge of rio-hondo had a eid explode half block away after i left. me? not sure but i did go there alot. food was good and mom worked there. so dont know. 8 months latter after the big push by the military she had pump boats landing close to her front yard./ my bar. and milf shooting guns down her street. so zamboanga can be a wild west town if you go during the wrong time. I did see some kano's there when we was walking around zamboanga city and yes did speak german dont know if it was the guy with his buddy's. but that was about it. just german guys. i'm not going back this year. i think that cebu is as far south as i want or need to go. thanks dave