Rp Travel Dangerous Due To Poll-Related Violence, Says Us

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

What parts of the Philippines do members think should be totally safe from any election related violence. I feel that Cebu should not have any problems but I am wondering what members think.

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
What parts of the Philippines do members think should be totally safe from any election related violence. I feel that Cebu should not have any problems but I am wondering what members think. The United States has warned its citizens against traveling to the Philippines due to continuing threats of terrorism and spo-radic violence throughout the country in the runup to the May 10 elections. In the latest travel warning issued by the US State Depart-ment, Washington said "American citizens traveling, living and working throughout the Philippines are urged to exercise heightened caution in public gathering places where events may occur in relation to the May 2010 Philippine elections and June inauguration." Read the full story here
Hi Lee,My linkForeign Office UKThere ARE uneasy rumblings... and hopefully they will come to nothing.But, seriously, the plan should be for Xpats to keep a low profile.Plan a few "Gated Condo parties" if in need of company.UK TomSugarwareZ-225.gif Edited by Singers

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

At the end of the day travel advice by Embassy's is always negative purely because if they said everything was fine and a revolution started who is going to be sued thumbs-up-smile.gif unless your messing around in political waters or have the misfortune to be in the wrong place at the wrong time I wouldn't worry about it any anger, shootings, killings will be Filipino V Filipino just let them get on with it.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
At the end of the day travel advice by Embassy's is always negative purely because if they said everything was fine and a revolution started who is going to be sued thumbs-up-smile.gif unless your messing around in political waters or have the misfortune to be in the wrong place at the wrong time I wouldn't worry about it any anger, shootings, killings will be Filipino V Filipino just let them get on with it.
During my first trip to the Philippines I was hanging out in Glorietta mall in Makati one morning when hundreds of shouting Filipinos started pouring in from outside. There was some political demonstration going on that I didn't know about. I saw the crowds coming and got out of there. Foreigners were not targeted during that demonstration, but there was no way I was going to stick around and see if the chanting demonstrators were peaceful or not. I'll stick close to home in the days surrounding the election until things calm down again. Its too easy to get caught in the crossfire and end up collateral damage. Staying indoors for a few days won't kill me.