The Art Of Saying Sorry

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This must be a culture thing, why do the Filipinos seem to have trouble saying sorry or thanks? :D

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
This must be a culture thing, why do the Filipinos seem to have trouble saying sorry or thanks? :AddEmoticons04230:
I often wondered the same thing, and that has been a big problem that we also faced over the years and especially with our Filipino family :D and with workmen. It must have something to do with the machismo Spanish cultural upbringing? No insult meant toward anyone with my comment, but over the year I have had to deal with that often and it is a very real issue in the USA and in the Philippines..... They really do need to learn how to admit when they are wrong and face the fact that all humans make mistakes. :36_6_3[1]:

daisy
Posted
Posted
This must be a culture thing, why do the Filipinos seem to have trouble saying sorry or thanks? :1 (235):
It's hard to say I'm sorry...just as it is easy to forgive but hard to forget! :SugarwareZ-037:

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

I disagree it is hard to say your sorry. Saying sorry imo shows maturity and an understanding of other people, whoever they are.Before I read this thread it so happens I've been thinking about this subject for a number of reasons but primarily because of the lack of control over children and disciplne. In the West children are given rules and are expected to stick to them otherwise punishment happens. It is good for society to have rules as long as they are not repressive or abusive.In the RP however, children never seem to be told off, especially the boys. This can lead to an immature outlook on life. I have often pondered why young boys on motorbikes ignore the fact that the way they drive will often be fatal. Most families have a young boy in the extended family who has been killed on a bike. So why drive like one is bulletproof? I think it is an extension of letting do what they want as a kid and also leads to a belief they cannot be wrong as no one has ever told them they are wrong.Rules make a society what it is. Look at the countries who have risen above poverty to create empires. Was that done by letting people believe they don't have to follow rules and therefore never be wrong or was it by facing up to tough choices and deciding for the good of the whole certain aspects of society need to be controlled?Whilst I love the RP it will never rise above corruption and poverty until there is a major shift in attitude to each other, by accepting right from wrong and being able to abide by rules that benefit everyone. Rushing to beat the next man at whatever the cost shows disregard for others, which I do find perplexing because of the "don't embarrass anyone" mentality but I suppose that is another symptom "I can never be wrong". If your never wrong you don't have to say sorry.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

AngelofBroden
Posted
Posted

Face, pride.. I'm sorry to say, but you guys are correct. And saying thank you is just as hard to do, too.. I had to give even my family a hint that a sincere thank you would really be nice every so often :36_1_50[1]:

"This must be a culture thing?"Heck yea!!!!! It's all about FACE.Filipinos are Asian. A generality, Spanish, Asian and whatever mixes you would like to add and you get that wonderful person the Filipino who is a unique and good person. Generally any Asian person to admit an error is difficult. This must be done in a very subtle way or more likely it would be understood that you would be expected to understand that they made an error and would cover for them so they would not lose face. FACE is everything! Always! This is extra difficult for Filipinos as they have the macho Spanish BS going on too. Thank you is another issue as any obligation had strings attached in Filipino culture. Again things are not nearly as simple as they may seem.If you have a Filipina GF or wife she should be the one to give or not so that the "Rich Kano" is not the "one".Seriously what "Tweety" said is exactly right.

paul
Posted
Posted

I don't find it difficult for Filipinos to say they are sorry. I have had others say that sorry doesn't even exist in their language, in Cebuano. I assure you, it does.