Visa For Spouse To Visit The Us

United Army
Posted
Posted

Just wondering if anyone has gotten a visa for their spouse to visit the US.? This is only for those who got married in the RP and live also in the RP and wanted to take their wife back to the US to visit family and friends, were you able to get a B-2 visa in Manila? What did it cost? the web site states $131.00. and how long did it take, etc?

MattFromGA
Posted
Posted

I have done it. It was a breeze too.I moved here in Jan 06 and married my wife in June 06. About Oct 07 we applied for her b1/b2 visa, and at the same time a Schengen visa to go to most of Europe (German, Holland, France, etc.). We were able to go to Manila for both visas at the same time.When we went to the US Embassy for the interview, the actual interview took at most 2 minutes. Not only that, the interviewer asked me more questions than my wife. I told him that I live in the Philippines now and that we just want to go visit the US. She was given a 10 year multiple entry visa.We also went to the Dutch Embassy the next day, where she was given the Schengen visa for the one visit. Once you get the US visa, getting other visas is basically guaranteed.Since then my wife has also gotten a visa for S. Korea and we have flow back to the USA 3 times. I cannot remember the cost, but the trip to Manila was more expensive for us by far than the actual visa.

TheMason
Posted
Posted (edited)
Just wondering if anyone has gotten a visa for their spouse to visit the US.? This is only for those who got married in the RP and live also in the RP and wanted to take their wife back to the US to visit family and friends, were you able to get a B-2 visa in Manila? What did it cost? the web site states $131.00. and how long did it take, etc?
The fee of $131 is correct. You need to pay it at a BDO branch and then setup your interview date online or via the call center. Online is free, the call center charges you to call them. If you are living here on a residency or SRRV then the US tourist visa is fairly easy to get. If you are here on a tourist visa, they're not as likely to grant your wife a visa for the US. They'll assume you're just circumventing the immigrant visa process and that she'll overstay the tourist visa.As for how long it takes, it depends on their current caseload. When you schedule the interview, you'll see when all the available appointments are. If granted, the visa is issued the same day or a few days later at the latest. Edited by TheMason

United Army
Posted
Posted
I have done it. It was a breeze too.I moved here in Jan 06 and married my wife in June 06. About Oct 07 we applied for her b1/b2 visa, and at the same time a Schengen visa to go to most of Europe (German, Holland, France, etc.). We were able to go to Manila for both visas at the same time.When we went to the US Embassy for the interview, the actual interview took at most 2 minutes. Not only that, the interviewer asked me more questions than my wife. I told him that I live in the Philippines now and that we just want to go visit the US. She was given a 10 year multiple entry visa.We also went to the Dutch Embassy the next day, where she was given the Schengen visa for the one visit. Once you get the US visa, getting other visas is basically guaranteed.Since then my wife has also gotten a visa for S. Korea and we have flow back to the USA 3 times. I cannot remember the cost, but the trip to Manila was more expensive for us by far than the actual visa.
Hello MattFromGA...were you on a tourist visa when your wife got her US visa?

cebuexpat
Posted
Posted

I dont mean to get off the subject at all, but if someone did take their spouse to the USA, and what would happen if the RUNN OFT ( O' brother where art thou ) . I know some spouses who have cousins, and other family members in the USA already, with not so great reputation ( already left husbands, ect....) what if a spouse decided to disappear, how would that affect the american man. Would he be in trouble, would he be held responsible???? Have to pay ?????

United Army
Posted
Posted (edited)
I dont mean to get off the subject at all, but if someone did take their spouse to the USA, and what would happen if the RUNN OFT ( O' brother where art thou ) . I know some spouses who have cousins, and other family members in the USA already, with not so great reputation ( already left husbands, ect....) what if a spouse decided to disappear, how would that affect the american man. Would he be in trouble, would he be held responsible???? Have to pay ?????
You have a good point!!! Edited by Mr. Lee
repair post placement

MattFromGA
Posted
Posted
I was here on a tourist visa.
what if a spouse decided to disappear, how would that affect the american man. Would he be in trouble, would he be held responsible???? Have to pay ?????
I dont see how the husband would be held accountable for it. It might be harder to get the "next wife" in the USA though.

sjp52
Posted
Posted
I was here on a tourist visa.
what if a spouse decided to disappear, how would that affect the american man. Would he be in trouble, would he be held responsible???? Have to pay ?????
I dont see how the husband would be held accountable for it. It might be harder to get the "next wife" in the USA though.
Hi Matt, How long did it take from start to finish

MattFromGA
Posted
Posted
Hi Matt, How long did it take from start to finish
Its been a while so I dont remember every date, but....When we applied for the interview at the US embassy in Manila there were two options. Pay a bit more for a priority date, or pay less for a date further out in time. We paid for the priority date and was lucky to get something about 2 or 3 weeks in the future. We went to the interview in Manila and she had the visa in her passport the next day. We picked up her visa and went to the Dutch embassy where she got approved for her Schengen visa, though if I remember correctly, she had to go back out a week later to pick up. I forget the details of that part now. Just to clarify, we had been to the Dutch consulate office here in Cebu to fill out forms and stuff weeks before we went to their embassy.The b1/b2 visa from the USA, the Schengen visa for Europe and her S. Korean visa all went much, much faster than what I hear other guys going through for their spousal/fianc