Taxi Meter Receipts

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I would guess that this will take a long time to roll out.abs-cbnNEWS.com | 09/12/2008 7:34 PMThe Land Transportation and Franchising Regulatory Board (LTFRB) hasgiven the go-signal for the implementation of the issuance of meterreceipts to taxi passengers following a Supreme Court ruling favoringthe new system.LTFRB chief Thompson Lantion said he met with taxi operators Fridayand they have agreed to proceed with the implementation of the newsystem."Ito naman ay sa kapakanan, hindi lamang sa kanilang hanapbuhay, sakanilang korporasyon, sa kanilang mga operators, kundi sa kapakanandin ng pangkalahatan, lalong lalo na sa mga gumagamit ng pampublikongtaxi," said Lantion.Some of the operators said they will start the gradual implementationof the new metering system. They said that with the absence of paper-printing meters, they will have to issue receipts "manually"."We are prepared to adhere with the Supreme Court ruling," saidLeonora Naval, president of Association of Taxi Operators of MetroManila.Each receipt will have to contain the following information:1. Name, address and telephone number of the taxi operator2. Taxi's plate number3. Date of the trip4. Actual time when the passenger boarded the taxi5. Distance of the trip (in kilometers)6. And the total fare amountLantion said the taxi receipts will be issued at no additional costto passengers. He added that the slip can also be used fortransportation reimbursements in companies.The LTFRB chief said the taxi flag down rate will remain at P30 forthe first 500 meters, with an additional P10 to the final cost of thetrip.Lantion said operators who refuse to follow the metering system willbe fined P1,500 and have their franchise cancelled."Hindi naman karagdagang pabigat sa mga pasahero. Ito'y iso-shoulderng mga operators. Sa mga operator naman, hindi magiging ganoongkalaki ang effect financially," said Bong Suntay, president of thePhilippine National Taxi Operators Association Inc. (PNTOA).Earlier, the taxi operators filed a petition before the Supreme Courtto block the implementation of the taxi receipt system. Thepetitioners were composed of PNTOA: New Qualitrans Inc.; R&ETransport Inc.; ABC Transportation Services Inc.; and, Lucky 8Transport Services.The Supreme Court, however, junked the petition as it cited that thesystem is legal and is intended to "ensure passengers' welfare andsafety." -- With a report from Alex Santos, ABS-CBN News

Strange Dahlia
Posted
Posted

Let's hope this new receipt system will help discourage taxi owners scamming their passengers...

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Great news Tom .........been following this sense it's beginning if this actually materializes soon and not delayed for months it will be a significant achievement toward protecting the consumer ........ only time will tell if it will work the way it should ...... the biggest test will be IMHO in Manila .... where taxi drivers are despicable .... here in Cebu we have never had a serious problem with the taxi drivers ....... in fact most are very polite and congenial ........

• 2 weeks later...
Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

That is really good news. I have been in 2 taxis with fast meters in the last 2 years but both gave in when I told them I knew. I was also wondering if the p10 was still in effect now that fuel is going down, and that answered the question for me. Thanks!

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hell yea .... you didn't think they would give that up did you ....... be interesting to see if the cry and complain when the fuel starts going up again ..... SugarwareZ-267.gif

paul
Posted
Posted

The additional Php 10 is still in effect here, as there are stickers on most of the taxis windshields stating as such. I have though, on occasion, been in a taxi that did not have the decal on the windshield. The cost of gasoline has dropped, but the labels remain on the taxis. I don't really mind either way, as long as the driver doesn't try to screw me, I give them extra voluntarily. I do this especially if we are in heavy traffic in town.

• 5 weeks later...
tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Let's hope this new receipt system will help discourage taxi owners scamming their passengers...
You still have to get them to turn it on. I haven't had any trouble with that but I know some who have. If they seem reluctant I just tell them I will only pay what the meter says. They drop the flag right away.