What Is Your Stance On Copyright Infringements

MattFromGA
Posted
Posted

How do you feel about copyright infringements? Do you download movies or music from the internet? Do you buy pirated DVDs or software? If someone posted a thread on a forum with pdf ebook attachments that should be purchased, would you download the ebook for free?If you are doing any of the above, would you mind if someone copied your content? Lets say you wrote a blog about living in the Philippines and you discovered someone was copying your content into their site, along with other blogs. Would you be upset about that and feel like you've been done wrong?In my opinion, if you "steal" other peoples content, you have no leg to stand on if someone else "steals" your content.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
How do you feel about copyright infringements?

TheMason
Posted
Posted
How do you feel about copyright infringements? Do you download movies or music from the internet? Do you buy pirated DVDs or software? If someone posted a thread on a forum with pdf ebook attachments that should be purchased, would you download the ebook for free?If you are doing any of the above, would you mind if someone copied your content? Lets say you wrote a blog about living in the Philippines and you discovered someone was copying your content into their site, along with other blogs. Would you be upset about that and feel like you've been done wrong?In my opinion, if you "steal" other peoples content, you have no leg to stand on if someone else "steals" your content.
Some things I will download, others I will not. I do download movies movies and TV shows from ThePiratebay.org. Why? Because most of them are not available for purchase or viewing in the Philippines. The legal DVD selection here is terrible and I'm not willing to pay extra to have them shipped internationally, hassle with customs etc. Many of the streaming movie services are not available in the Philippines. Since the movies I want to watch are not readily available for purchase, I download pirated versions or buy the pirated DVD off the street. I don't download new releases if they are shown in the Philippines. If I want to see one of those, I'll go to the theater. If its not playing here, I'll download it.I will not buy pirated software, but I will almost always choose an open source or free version of what I want even if it is not as full-featured. If I can't find a freeware app for what I need, I'll pay for one.I will pay for downloaded music provided I can get it from iTunes with no DRM software attached to it. If all they have is the version that locks the song to my computer or iPod, then I will get a pirated version instead. I will not download a free copy of an eBook unless it is from the Guttenburg Project. I really don't read eBooks too often though so its really a moot point.To summarize, if the copyright holder makes their content available in a versatile format that is easy for me to purchase I will. If they choose not to do that, then I will look for pirated versions instead.