Filipinos Most Forgiving Of Bad Customer Service

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I guess this might explain who so many businesses here give such poor customer service because the majority of their customers are Filipino, so why bother to fix the system. I wonder how many of you have complaints about poor customer service? I sure know that I have had too many problems in the amount of time we spend in the Philippines. Why do you think it is that many Filipinos do not complain more? Filipinos are the least likely to end a business relationship despite bad customer service compared with counterparts in three other Southeast Asian countries, an online survey by a Singaporean firm found. The major complaint in the Philippines is that customer service representatives are not empowered to make decisions. Customer service is lacking in the Philippines but Filipinos seem accepting of that

TheMason
Posted
Posted

Well, I think its tied to the generally poor work ethic in this country. Since so many people don't work at all, and so many of the ones that do have jobs don't bother to do them correctly, they're very understanding and forgiving when someone elsedoes their job haphazardly or not at all.Then there is also the pervasive 'screw the customer' mentality in Filipino businesses. Filipinos are so used to businesses not delivering quality goods or outright ripping them off, a small thing like customer service seems silly to quibble about. If you actually get value for your money when you patronize a business here, you're so ecstatic about it that you don't care if the company was treating you like crap the entire time.

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
Well, I think its tied to the generally poor work ethic in this country. Since so many people don't work at all, and so many of the ones that do have jobs don't bother to do them correctly, they're very understanding and forgiving when someone elsedoes their job haphazardly or not at all.Then there is also the pervasive 'screw the customer' mentality in Filipino businesses. Filipinos are so used to businesses not delivering quality goods or outright ripping them off, a small thing like customer service seems silly to quibble about. If you actually get value for your money when you patronize a business here, you're so ecstatic about it that you don't care if the company was treating you like crap the entire time.
When I comment to PI Family & Asawa about offHand and mind blowing stupidity in "service's" I get the same (almost always) comment "They are doing their best" !!!:th_thimage_265775:UK Tom Edited by Singers

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
I don't think it is work ethic. I find most Filipinos very hard working and I find most of those in service businesses work hard. I also think one of the base elements are here -- courtesy which is ingrained or inate. I believe the answer lies along what Mr. Lee has stated. Everyone makes mistakes but it is how you respond to them that makes the difference. Service processes are not well defined or taught and they don't have the ability to act on what they think is right. Just the other day I went to a restaurant here with my family who ordered the common fare. I ordered something a bit more healthy. The answer came back -- out of stock sir, I ordered the next best thing -- out of stock sir, and then yet a third -- out of stock. I asked to speak with the manager and relayed how frustrating it was to find common items and things I ordered not available. e.g. spaghetti and meatballs!! I told them I'd have to go out and get something from another place and bring back so that I could eat with my family and that I would never return. It did not seem to bother him or others -- "its up to you". They did not know what to do or say. I ordered spaghetti and meatball take out from the store right next door. Something in the interest of customer service they could have done.My wife hates when I complain. You are right, it is not natural to complain here -- I think it has to do with saving face. I always do it in a nice way and work to keep my voice low but I'm compeled to let someone know that what they are doing is unacceptable. It may not make a difference but does provide me some relief and satisfaction.I do find a growing number of businesses with customer feedback forms and Dim sum Express even has a text feed back service. Not sure what is done or how this is used.

retired
Posted
Posted

I do believe its as mentioned by the previous poster and it's all abut 'saving face' . This is the only culture i am aware of where someone will kill you over what most cultures would consider as a slight or minor offense . Somewhere along the line this culture seems to have kept the 'saving face' but lost the concept of honor which is much more prevalent in other Asian cultures . Have never heard a satisfactory rationale for that .