Toyota Tamaraw Fx Diesel

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Any opinions on this vehicle? Seems large enough to fit my fat arse, and comfortable enough for long trips. Only problem I see is having to take a whole bunch of cousins on long province visits. :lol:

easy44
Posted
Posted

I have a 1997 Tamaraw FX that has served me well for 9 years. It's basic transportation, carries a lot of people, is cheap to operate and maintain, and parts and service are available just about anywhere. If you're looking for something plush, powerful and comfortable, then it probably isn't for you. Suits me fine.

TheMason
Posted
Posted

The Tamaraw is widely used for taxis in Baguio City. They seemed to hold up to the mountain terrain very well. They weren't the most comfortable vehicles, but then, they were taxis so I doubt they were maintained well. You can probably get better suspension and interior seating than on the standard model sold for taxi use.

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Well, appreciate the opinions guys. I test drove two 1997's yesterday, original owners so I am hoping not Manila flood vehicles. I have an idea what they are worth from searches on classifieds, and did a non lift inspection on both. A few thoughts on the test dive down the national highway towards Minglanilla proper...roomy, but as mentioned, a bit bouncy and lacking power (neither THAT big a deal for me). Both had air con problems, fans?...with one tire bald on each (front) suggesting no tire rotation, bad wheel alighment..or worst, suspension. Of course it could be they bought a single new tire when needed, as In the US, most buy in pairs. Would need to get it on a lift, or have a trusted mechanic really inspect any I was interested to create some bargaining leverage. Both were negotiable from 200,000 and 190.000 (they sell around 160,000/180,000 on the sites). The 190,000 I would pass as the air con simply did not work, had high miles and the body was falling apart in spots, and rattled like my Harley Davidson fat boy. I am "friends" with the cousin of both these sellers, he works out with me in my home gym, so I am "hoping" I am not being white skin taxed. The 200,000 one drove with more power, was solid, smoother and the gentleman who stopped by was on his way to Moalboal with his family and seemed to take FAR better care, oh... and the air con worked, although he said it needed the fan cleaned...something I will have a expert review for me.Both said they would negotiate, as they would need to as they were high on the scale to begin with. A few questions from long time residents and those who have went through the process of purchasing.1- If I register it in Cebu, can I move to Luzon with it? What would I need to do if registration is needed to change? This goes for if I purchase in another area and bring it to Cebu.2- Many list cars on the ad sites with ending numbers on the plates as a selling point. I am assuming these have to do with how long the registration lasts? Am I correct here?3- Can registration be had for those on tourist visas? If any other advice you can throw out for me, and of course others in the same situation, please add.:thumbsup:

easy44
Posted
Posted
Well, appreciate the opinions guys. I test drove two 1997's yesterday, original owners so I am hoping not Manila flood vehicles. I have an idea what they are worth from searches on classifieds, and did a non lift inspection on both. A few thoughts on the test dive down the national highway towards Minglanilla proper...roomy, but as mentioned, a bit bouncy and lacking power (neither THAT big a deal for me). Both had air con problems, fans?...with one tire bald on each (front) suggesting no tire rotation, bad wheel alighment..or worst, suspension. Of course it could be they bought a single new tire when needed, as In the US, most buy in pairs. Would need to get it on a lift, or have a trusted mechanic really inspect any I was interested to create some bargaining leverage. Both were negotiable from 200,000 and 190.000 (they sell around 160,000/180,000 on the sites). The 190,000 I would pass as the air con simply did not work, had high miles and the body was falling apart in spots, and rattled like my Harley Davidson fat boy. I am "friends" with the cousin of both these sellers, he works out with me in my home gym, so I am "hoping" I am not being white skin taxed. The 200,000 one drove with more power, was solid, smoother and the gentleman who stopped by was on his way to Moalboal with his family and seemed to take FAR better care, oh... and the air con worked, although he said it needed the fan cleaned...something I will have a expert review for me.Both said they would negotiate, as they would need to as they were high on the scale to begin with. A few questions from long time residents and those who have went through the process of purchasing.1- If I register it in Cebu, can I move to Luzon with it? What would I need to do if registration is needed to change? This goes for if I purchase in another area and bring it to Cebu.2- Many list cars on the ad sites with ending numbers on the plates as a selling point. I am assuming these have to do with how long the registration lasts? Am I correct here?3- Can registration be had for those on tourist visas? If any other advice you can throw out for me, and of course others in the same situation, please add.:thumbsup:
You should be paying anywhere from P150K up to P200k for one in tip top shape.1. You do not need to re-register it in Luzon. You can have the registration changed when it expires.2. The last number on the plate indicates the month the registration expires. 1=Jan, 2=Feb etc. up to 10=Oct, Nov, Dec. There is more to it but I forget the details.3. I have owned a car registered to my name for 9 years on a tourist visa.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
You should be paying anywhere from P150K up to P200k for one in tip top shape.1. You do not need to re-register it in Luzon. You can have the registration changed when it expires.2. The last number on the plate indicates the month the registration expires. 1=Jan, 2=Feb etc. up to 10=Oct, Nov, Dec. There is more to it but I forget the details.3. I have owned a car registered to my name for 9 years on a tourist visa.
Thanks for all the great advice! :hystery: