Dogs

johnb
Posted
Posted (edited)

I love dogs, so whether you keep dogs here in the Philippines for security or pets or a bit of both tell us about your choice of dog and breed or mixed breed all is good information. We wanted dogs for security and as pets, in the sense of security we wanted Barking not Biting, we have quite a large compound with five apartments so we didn't want anything to aggressive and threatening as they may scare of the tenants, by chance one day we saw an add for labrador cross dalmation for sale, there were ten puppies in the litter, where they were housed had no lights so we had to try and choose two puppies with only a torch, they don't stand still for very long lol.we eventually picked two males one Black who is named Barney after my old Labrador gun dog, and one chocolate named Sinta after a dog my wife and I inherited from a posting we had in Africa [sinta came with house]Our dogs temperament has proved perfect for us except that after they reached 14 months they started fighting, real bad fighting on one occasion barney bit clean through the lower jaw of sinta and wouldn't let go I guess that's the Dalmation in them, http://en.wikipedia...._%28dog%29#Usesany way they are now seperated one lives at the front of the house and the other at the side, they can see each other and often will chase along side each other but cannot be together, sinta is very territorial and will charge our main gate if someone dares come close, its barred and 6 ft high so know risk of him hurting anyone, but if we bring someone in he acts just like a Labrador, Barney is the softest looking but really sly, conservative with his barks but once pissed wont give up till he's caught it, chased it of or eaten it.both of the dogs have no collars they have never been chained or tied up they just run free in there own parts of the Garden, we only lock them up when I employ workmen, some of the workmen have been with us for years, but if they come to the front of the house sinta still goes ape sh&t.One thing that I Wasn't aware of was the need for heart worm tablets for the dogs, also yearly rabies injections, three monthly worming and parvo treatment, we don't have a vehicle and trying to bring our dogs to a vet for inoculations in a jeepney or taxi would cause all sorts of problems, but we have a local vet that will do house calls for 150 phpI forgot to mention a third dog, shes a 12 year old long haired Jack Russel called patches, she belongs to one of our tenants, what she lacks in size she makes up with attitude lolJust wanted to add, at the bottom of my road here in Pardo, Cebu. You can find Great Danes, British bull dogs, pure Labradors, even dachshunds, passed a house just the other day with a sign saying Pitt bulls for salepics belowMy wife favors our brown dog Sinta he's very loyal to her, Barney wont listen to her but will listen to me "sometimes" lol you'll see him eying up the candy in our nephews arms at Christmas, barneys yard looks like a building site because at that time it was, looks better now recently removed more than 2000 bags of soil and rubble.100_0812-1.jpg100_0876.jpg100_0915.jpg

Edited by johnb

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I love dogs, so whether you keep dogs here in the Philippines for security or pets or a bit of both tell us about your choice of dog and breed or mixed breed all is good information. We wanted dogs for security and as pets, in the sense of security we wanted Barking not Biting, we have quite a large compound with five apartments so we didn't want anything to aggressive and threatening as they may scare of the tenants, by chance one day we saw an add for labrador cross dalmation for sale, there were ten puppies in the litter, where they were housed had no lights so we had to try and choose two puppies with only a torch, they don't stand still for very long lol.we eventually picked two males one Black who is named Barney after my old Labrador gun dog, and one chocolate named Sinta after a dog my wife and I inherited from a posting we had in Africa [sinta came with house]Our dogs temperament has proved perfect for us except that after they reached 14 months they started fighting, real bad fighting on one occasion barney bit clean through the lower jaw of sinta and wouldn't let go I guess that's the Dalmation in them, http://en.wikipedia...._%28dog%29#Usesany way they are now seperated one lives at the front of the house and the other at the side, they can see each other and often will chase along side each other but cannot be together, sinta is very territorial and will charge our main gate if someone dares come close, its barred and 6 ft high so know risk of him hurting anyone, but if we bring someone in he acts just like a Labrador, Barney is the softest looking but really sly, conservative with his barks but once pissed wont give up till he's caught it, chased it of or eaten it.both of the dogs have no collars they have never been chained or tied up they just run free in there own parts of the Garden, we only lock them up when I employ workmen, some of the workmen have been with us for years, but if they come to the front of the house sinta still goes ape sh&t.One thing that I Wasn't aware of was the need for heart worm tablets for the dogs, also yearly rabies injections, three monthly worming and parvo treatment, we don't have a vehicle and trying to bring our dogs to a vet for inoculations in a jeepney or taxi would cause all sorts of problems, but we have a local vet that will do house calls for 150 phpI forgot to mention a third dog, shes a 12 year old long haired Jack Russel called patches, she belongs to one of our tenants, what she lacks in size she makes up with attitude lolJust wanted to add, at the bottom of my road here in Pardo, Cebu. You can find Great Danes, British bull dogs, pure Labradors, even dachshunds, passed a house just the other day with a sign saying Pitt bulls for salepics belowMy wife favors our brown dog Sinta he's very loyal to her, Barney wont listen to her but will listen to me "sometimes" lol you'll see him eying up the candy in our nephews arms at Christmas, barneys yard looks like a building site because at that time it was, looks better now recently removed more than 2000 bags of soil and rubble.100_0812-1.jpg100_0876.jpg100_0915.jpg
Thank you for sharing that John, my wife and I got to see your dogs first hand and they are really neat. My wife and I love dogs and I had dogs most of my life. My parents had a Chihuahua, I know not really a dog but she was one mean bitch, :565: and we had a number of German Shepherds in our family gas station, and then later when I got married and had our own home then we had a Doberman and he was a real sweetheart but would tear anyone apart we did not let into our home and then would love them to death once we let them in, and he would not let anyone near my former wife when she was walking him on a lease, if she said watch, which I taught him but would otherwise let people walk up to him and pet him and even after they pet him and he wagged his tail, if she said watch he was ready to bite until she gave the off command. Dogs are so smart. My wife and I would love to have another dog once we decide to settle in one place or the other but traveling back and forth from Florida to Cebu, and all the travel we usually do while in each does place not really allow for a dog , so unless we move to a house one day, dogs are probably not in our near future but we can at least enjoy our friends dogs every time we visit them.I guess if I had to pick a dog then I would either pick a Doberman or a standard poodle because of the short hair on the Doberman and the lack of shedding on the poodle, because I used to fill 55 gallon drums with our shepherds hair when I brushed them and I do not feel hot weather is fair to them because our shepherds liked to stay inside the aircon office most of the day and loved to try to kill anything that even thought about coming into the office except those we invited in and said it was OK to them, and then they let just about anyone in but hated some and those they showed their teeth to and I had to hold them back or they would have bitten them. Dogs know who they like and who they do not and they have a sixth sense we do not have, and one shepherd who was inside the aircon office which was basically sound proof to us, would know when my grandmother was a block away and leaving her apartment and we know this because we timed it a number of times and used the phones to confirm, so as soon as my grandmother would close her door and lock it then that dogs tail was already going and she was jumping up on the triple thick window and trying to get out and there was a whole apartment complex in between my grandmother and the dog. That was one smart dog and even obeyed hand signals from me but was out of control when she wanted to go see grandma. :565: I guess we pick dogs we have had experience with during our lives or had friends who had that type of dog and it worked out well for them, but it is true IMO, no matter what dog you pick, the way you bring them up is how they will be as adults, and isn't that the same for many humans as well. SugarwareZ-004.gif

johnb
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi LeeI once saw a Chihuahua kill a Doberman...............it got stuck in his throat SugarwareZ-011.gif

Edited by johnb

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hi LeeI once saw a Chihuahua kill a Doberman...............it got stuck in his throat SugarwareZ-011.gif
:565:My parents Chihuahua used to bite almost everyone on the calf and hold on even when they tried to shake her off. I think she had more bites on her record than the Shepherds did and we had to change the smartest Shepherds name 3 times because she kept biting people who were foolish enough to try to go in the office despite of all the signs and all the barking and growling she would do. One man put his hand on my fathers shoulder while yelling at him over a key to the bathroom and he almost lost his arm because we had to beg her to let go of him as he cried on the ground like a baby while she shook his arm trying to rip it off, he never should have touched my father because if the dog did not bite him then I probably would have decked him. It was funny to see the Chihuahua and the Shepherd get along, sort of like a kid and an adult, the Shepherd tolerated the Chihuahua and then became very protective of her like she became her daughter. Dogs can sure be good to learn from.

Demeter
Posted
Posted
One thing that I Wasn't aware of was the need for heart worm tablets for the dogs, also yearly rabies injections, three monthly worming and parvo treatment, we don't have a vehicle and trying to bring our dogs to a vet for inoculations in a jeepney or taxi would cause all sorts of problems, but we have a local vet that will do house calls for 150 php100_0915.jpg
Hi John,Can I ask for the number of that vet who does house calls? Last month, my dog Corky got very sick. His eyes got squinted and he became violent, attacking the female puppy I got from our neighbor. I had difficulty giving him anti-biotics and feeding him. My sister has a vehicle but no one could drive (her husband went sailing abroad) so it was really a problem trying to take him to the vet in Pardo Animal Clinic. However, I was able to leash him and give him a bath and take him to the vet, BUT, I carried him!!! He didn't want to walk, he was really acting like a baby. He is big and heavy, and I carried him from my place until the entrance of Southgate Subdivision. Luckily, he got inside the taxi without any objection. When we got to the vet, he was given an anti-biotic, B-Complex and another shot I forgot the name. He has never had anti-rabies shot and parvo and that's my problem now since it was too difficult taking him to the vet. That day, when I finally took him to the vet, I had the chill, probably because he was very heavy and I am very sick.

johnb
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Demeter, the Vets name is Dr Ramiriz #09398960969, you should know that Dr Ramiriz is Deaf so you should text and not call, he does lip read very well, so when you meet him you'll have know problem communicating, if we want answers to specific questions we write them down, so a pen and pencil should be at arms length, there are some risks with the rabies injections as its given in the scruff of the neck behind the head, if your dog is big and fights, the needle can hit the spine resulting in paralysis or death, the last time he injected sinta our brown dog, sinta turned on the Vet luckily no harm to either party occured. Hope this helps John

Edited by Boss Man
fixed edited word

Demeter
Posted
Posted
Hi Demeter, the Vets name is Dr Ramiriz #09398960969, you should know that Dr Ramiriz is Deaf so you should text and not call, he does "another forum" read very well, so when you meet him you'll have know problem communicating, if we want answers to specific questions we write them down, so a pen and pencil should be at arms length, there are some risks with the rabies injections as its given in the scruff of the neck behind the head, if your dog is big and fights, the needle can hit the spine resulting in paralysis or death, the last time he injected sinta our brown dog, sinta turned on the Vet luckily no harm to either party occured. Hope this helps John
Daghan kaayo'ng salamat, John. I will send him a text one of these days.