Weekly Supermarket Spend

manabouttown
Posted
Posted

A conversation came up with a couple of Expats and a visiting tourist the other night,the subject was weekly cost at the supermarket in the Philippines.I was thinking it would be interesting to see what the average spend would be by members here. What do you spend each week at the supermarket including what is spent at the local market?? Please tell us how many people you are buying for so its easier to compare. :thumbsup:

Inspector
Posted
Posted

2 people, around 5,000 pesos per week...but that is Rustan's with the Giasano in Ayala Mall, with a lot of western type meats, non sugar ingredients, cook from scratch type dishes. If I was to eat in the province again, probably 234 pesos for the month...but I'd rather be back in the USA if that was the case.

Panserhansen
Posted
Posted

It varies a lot, I guess on average for two adults 7000-8000 a week including wine and beer. That includes house holds items like shampoo, soap, razors, cleaning equipment etc. It could be much less if neccessary or much more if I could afford. Sometimes you're happy with corned beef, rice and water - sometimes you fancy fresh crabs and a good white wine. Before I used to do most of the shopping at Rustans. Now I buy most seafoods, veggies and fruits at the local market. Better quality and cheaper. The mangos at Rustans for 100/kilo are sour, while at the market you pay 55 and much sweeter. Shopping at Rustans always make me pick items I really don't need, while the local market doesn't offer much more than you need!

TheMason
Posted
Posted

It sure does vary a lot! My wife and I spend between 5,000-8,000 per month, and we're spendthrifts compared to my wife's family. They spend about 5000 a month for a 10 person household. It really depends on what your tastes are and how much you can adapt to local foods. If you can eat rice at every meal and eat lots of chicken and fish, you'll be able to eat cheaply. If you want Aussie or US beef or expensive cuts of meat, your bill will be far higher.

United Army
Posted
Posted

We spend about 3,000 per week for the 3 of us, give or take some..

• 2 weeks later...
Art2ro
Posted
Posted
It varies a lot, I guess on average for two adults 7000-8000 a week including wine and beer. That includes house holds items like shampoo, soap, razors, cleaning equipment etc. It could be much less if neccessary or much more if I could afford. Sometimes you're happy with corned beef, rice and water - sometimes you fancy fresh crabs and a good white wine. Before I used to do most of the shopping at Rustans. Now I buy most seafoods, veggies and fruits at the local market. Better quality and cheaper. The mangos at Rustans for 100/kilo are sour, while at the market you pay 55 and much sweeter. Shopping at Rustans always make me pick items I really don't need, while the local market doesn't offer much more than you need!
That's about our weekly budget, but no thanks on the corned beef, I grew up on it in the U.S. as a kid and I'm all corned beefed out! We too have a Rustan's, but seldom go shopping there, too expensive. We mainly do our grocery shopping at SM Mall Sta. Rosa just a few miles from our house. We do spend an extra P4,000 a month on Aussie Steaks, Maire Calendar's chicken pot pies and hot pockets at S & R in Alabang! I love my chicken pot pies and Aussie Steaks! SugarwareZ-003.gif23_11_60[2].gif7_4_17[1].gif

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
A conversation came up with a couple of Expats and a visiting tourist the other night,the subject was weekly cost at the supermarket in the Philippines.I was thinking it would be interesting to see what the average spend would be by members here. What do you spend each week at the supermarket including what is spent at the local market?? Please tell us how many people you are buying for so its easier to compare. thumbsup.gif
We are about 6K -7K / week for a family of 3 + helper. Robinsons, Rustans, Makro No beef -- few Western / International specialties. With Local pork, fish and chicken.