Air Con

displacedsoul
Posted
Posted

Was thinking of putting an airconditioner into the future inlaws house.What would be the best? window or one of those split system things.The house is mainly concrete and like most houses on the small side.Anyone had experience with air con in the Philippines.thanks

cebuexpat
Posted
Posted
Was thinking of putting an airconditioner into the future inlaws house.What would be the best? window or one of those split system things.The house is mainly concrete and like most houses on the small side.Anyone had experience with air con in the Philippines.thanks
Either one of the systems are ok.... The window type unit of course requires little preparation, and can be put at about any location.... This type does use more electric than the Split Type Units... But in my opinion the window type seems to have better fans and blow much harder than the split types. This type would also be the cheaper of the two...The Split Types are the more expensive, but they also are more energy efficient. Lot more preparation work is needed for this type of unit. Some tips I can give is this type of unit only will come with a approx. 10 feet of piping. Anything more than that will be at a extra charge... Also think of the placement of the outside unit. If they live somewhere that is not protected very well, outside units can be stolen, and also broken by children in the neighborhood sitting or playing and even sticking things in the fan...... Also some suppliers do not include the mounting brackets for the outside unit. That will be another extra charge, along with some dont supply the breaker box for the outside unit either.... Just some things to look out for.Last, since this will be for future inlaws, you might also want to think, if you would ever want or get the unit, a window unit can be removed easily, transfered eaisly. A split type would be a lot more trouble and larger expense to move... Plus the fixing of the damage the pipe coming through the wall..... Hope this helps....

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Probably a more important question would be do they need it? As generally most Filipinos I know don't own Air-con and for that reason have never needed it because they are used to the local climate.. might be better money spent extending a porch area for shading.. pay once instead of getting complained at for making their electric bill 4 x the size

Mik
Posted
Posted

Some of my in-laws have an aircon in their bedrooms. .

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

My Aunt's husband died yesterday of a heat stroke at the age of 72! They have air conditioning in their home, but her husband was the typical Filipino tight wad and didn't want to pay for the added cost of electricity when using their air conditioning! They are well off and could afford it! Nuf said eh! SugarwareZ-004.gif

Edited by Pinoy Art

• 7 months later...
Okieboy
Posted
Posted

we have small window Air conditioners 1/2 hp in the bed rooms and only use at night, we use fans in the daytime, actually i never owned a Air Conditioner before comming to the Phil, i am from Oklahoma, but i am use to the heat, i was a welder for 35 yrs