Taxi Safety

United Army
Posted
Posted

My wife took a taxi from the Grand Mall in Lapu-Lapu, Basak the other day, 6pm last Sunday, and the driver started to chat with her about the foreigner who's wife killed his girlfriend, after she found out that her husband was giving her more money than her. He then said to her, there is a dead body in the back, are you scared, are you scared she will get up? Well my wife was sacred, but not of the so called dead body in the back but of the taxi driver. Later he chatted again with her saying he has a girlfriend for 5 years now, and he is married.Needless to say I'm concerned. I told my wife next time something like that happens to get the taxi number and text me. And if I was with her then, I was not this time, the taxi driver most likely would not of said this to her. This taxi driver is a jerk...

Demeter
Posted
Posted
My wife took a taxi from the Grand Mall in Lapu-Lapu, Basak the other day, 6pm last Sunday, and the driver started to chat with her about the foreigner who's wife killed his girlfriend, after she found out that her husband was giving her more money than her. He then said to her, there is a dead body in the back, are you scared, are you scared she will get up? Well my wife was sacred, but not of the so called dead body in the back but of the taxi driver. Later he chatted again with her saying he has a girlfriend for 5 years now, and he is married.Needless to say I'm concerned. I told my wife next time something like that happens to get the taxi number and text me. And if I was with her then, I was not this time, the taxi driver most likely would not of said this to her. This taxi driver is a jerk...
If I were your wife, I would ignore the taxi driver and pretend that I didn't hear anything.Yes, it's best to write down the taxi's body number not only for safety's sake but also for when you left something inside. It's also a good idea to tell your (plural - your) wives not to be too friendly or conversant to taxi drivers or tell the taxi driver that they're married to a foreigner.. It's their way of diverting your attention from the meter, the next thing you know, you're paying more.

easy44
Posted
Posted
If I were your wife, I would ignore the taxi driver and pretend that I didn't hear anything.Yes, it's best to write down the taxi's body number not only for safety's sake but also for when you left something inside. It's also a good idea to tell your (plural - your) wives not to be too friendly or conversant to taxi drivers or tell the taxi driver that they're married to a foreigner.. It's their way of diverting your attention from the meter, the next thing you know, you're paying more.
True that.

cebuexpat
Posted
Posted

I am sure the driver was just joking, but still for your wife it was very scary. Saying as little as possible I have found to be the best. I will share my two taxi experiences just this week....One - Me and my female manager from my business was going to a meeting.. It was a later at night and we flagged down a taxi in front of my business here.. We got in the taxi and he asked my manager where are you going mam... She said Humay, humay ( which is a area here in Mactan in which The Queensland hotel is located. Which we WERE NOT going there.) The drive said OK mam, to Queensland.... LOL SugarwareZ-011.gif I told her she must have that look.... ha ha ha... She really got joked for that here at work...Next day me and a expat friend went to the city. He flagged the taxi, so I assumed he already made the deal with the driver. We got to Mango, He asked what's the meter... Well the driver said I did not use the meter... Of course I did not pay attention, thinking he already taken care of it... So the driver said P 300 is the bill.... Well we take that trip alot, and the meter is never over 200 and then we always give a P 20 or 50 tip.... Well my friend being a bit street smart, said here is P 250, I am not paying P 300 and its your fault if you did not use the meter... I was in the front and he was in the back, so I got out and he was sliding across the seat in the back to get out... I heard something and looked and the taxi driver had grabbed him by the back of the shirt and was yelling this is lacking, this is lacking.... I opened the door quickly and pointed to the man and said, let him go now or they will be trouble...He released him, and of course my friend was at this time in a rage... I was trying to clam him and the taxi driver stepped out of the taxi... He said this is lacking,,, At that time I told him, well best thing to do is call the police and let them come here and take care of it.... I also added, you should not grab a customer like that... I am just thankful it was early, and I had not had my normal intake of " the juice " yet... My friend is not a type to make fiscal confutations, but he was being very verbal.... Anyways, the driver said some loud words in Cebuano and jumped in the taxi and slammed the door and drove off.....

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
I am sure the driver was just joking, but still for your wife it was very scary. Saying as little as possible I have found to be the best. I will share my two taxi experiences just this week....One - Me and my female manager from my business was going to a meeting.. It was a later at night and we flagged down a taxi in front of my business here.. We got in the taxi and he asked my manager where are you going mam... She said Humay, humay ( which is a area here in Mactan in which The Queensland hotel is located. Which we WERE NOT going there.) The drive said OK mam, to Queensland.... LOL SugarwareZ-011.gif I told her she must have that look.... ha ha ha... She really got joked for that here at work...Next day me and a expat friend went to the city. He flagged the taxi, so I assumed he already made the deal with the driver. We got to Mango, He asked what's the meter... Well the driver said I did not use the meter... Of course I did not pay attention, thinking he already taken care of it... So the driver said P 300 is the bill.... Well we take that trip alot, and the meter is never over 200 and then we always give a P 20 or 50 tip.... Well my friend being a bit street smart, said here is P 250, I am not paying P 300 and its your fault if you did not use the meter... I was in the front and he was in the back, so I got out and he was sliding across the seat in the back to get out... I heard something and looked and the taxi driver had grabbed him by the back of the shirt and was yelling this is lacking, this is lacking.... I opened the door quickly and pointed to the man and said, let him go now or they will be trouble...He released him, and of course my friend was at this time in a rage... I was trying to clam him and the taxi driver stepped out of the taxi... He said this is lacking,,, At that time I told him, well best thing to do is call the police and let them come here and take care of it.... I also added, you should not grab a customer like that... I am just thankful it was early, and I had not had my normal intake of " the juice " yet... My friend is not a type to make fiscal confutations, but he was being very verbal.... Anyways, the driver said some loud words in Cebuano and jumped in the taxi and slammed the door and drove off.....
I take a lot of taxis 4 or more per day. I see a wide variety of drivers of all personality types. Some like to talk and ask a lot of questions others are totally silent. I rarely have meter problems but have the habit obtained from Manila of always making sure it is on and running. This is probably the best advise for anyone. There have been some occasions especially on trips to the airport where a drive will try to give me a fixed rate and if reasonable I accept ... If not I suggest I want to use the meter and provide a reasonable tip. No one has refused.

Travis
Posted
Posted
it sounds to me that he was feeling your wife out to see if she would like to be another of his gfs. tell her to text taxi numbers to you when she gets in & better yet do not let her travel by herself whenever possible. i have no idea why he was trying to scare your wife maybe he is a nut so tell her to be careful & you should report him to the lto too