Meats - Very Different Ways

cebuexpat
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have asked this question to some locals, but never received a answer... So I will ask here, since we as expats have a larger perspective on things.How in the world do they let the meat hang outside in these meat markets in the heat and sun all day long, without them getting bad. I know some are not in direct contact with the sunlight, but the air temp is the same.... I know back in the states that its very important to keep all meats cool.. We used to cut up all of our deers. Even early season, if you did not get your deer hung up and ice on it within 8 hours of killing it, they would say dont cut it. It not good, and you could smell it already... Thats with temp's even cooler than here..... Even beef's and pork's should be in a cooler after killed and hung up. Now here I have noticed that the meat will hang all day long on hooks. They have a little machine that rotates and keeps most of the fly's off. You never see it on ice. Then also I know Pinoy do not waist anything, so what about the meats that don't sell that day. Are they stored and just hung back out the next day???? How do they keep them from getting bad ??? OR are they bad and when cooked not noticed ????? Are pinoy's have a different system then foreigners that this does not affect them, or is the meat different ????It's just amazing to me and was wondering if anyone else thought about this, or noticed what I have.... How do they do it ?????I know some of the local market vendors can not sell all the meats they have hanging for that day... So what becomes of them, I know they dont take the loss and throw them out. Surely they can not eat them all or give them away..... IF they do freeze them for the night, then put them out again the next day, I was told that was bad also to freeze and thaw meat should only be done once... After once you should not re freeze meats, or fish also....

Edited by cebuexpat

Demeter
Posted
Posted

I guess they use them to make TOCINO, well the lean meat. As for the fatty ones, they're used to make CHORIZO OR LONGGANISA.

retired
Posted
Posted

Unlike most foreigners Philippinos have industrial strength digestive systems .. :-)

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Unlike most foreigners Philippinos have industrial strength digestive systems .. :-)
I think also that if we remember back in our grandfathers days or earlier they did not have refrigeration then and they survived eating meat.Us westerners over the years have been conditioned to preservatives and additives and a way of life where we can no longer live in an un cleansed environment or food that has not got a use by date on the packet.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

That is well known as "DOUBLE DEAD MEAT" and some vendors still try to get by and sell it knowing that it's illegal to do so! And some try to pass along "dog" ribs for pork spareribs, because it visually looks the same cut up, but the smell is the difference! So buyers beware! Anyway, if it smells rotten, don't even think about buying it! SugarwareZ-024.gif

Edited by Pinoy Art

cebuexpat
Posted
Posted
That is well known as "DOUBLE DEAD MEAT" and some vendors still try to get by and sell it knowing that it's illegal to do so! And some try to pass along "dog" ribs for pork spareribs, because it visually looks the same cut up, but the smell is the difference! So buyers beware! Anyway, if it smells rotten, don't even think about buying it! SugarwareZ-024.gif
Ok now I am paranoid,,, I eat lot of ribs,,,, Thanks for the info... I have heard about this, but have been told it does not happen in Cebu.. The worst part is, if some of the ones i have already eaten are dog, I really liked it.... Maybe its better not knowing......

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Ok now I am paranoid,,,

brock
Posted
Posted
Ok now I am paranoid,,, I eat lot of ribs,,,, Thanks for the info... I have heard about this, but have been told it does not happen in Cebu.. The worst part is, if some of the ones i have already eaten are dog, I really liked it.... Maybe its better not knowing......
I wonder if that is why I like to roll over and play dead sometimes, like to bark and love to have my belly rubbed all the time. yes.gif They often say, You are what you eat th_thbarbaque.gif5146.gif Dog biscuits are pretty good too! SugarwareZ-065.gif
I have eaten dog before, But it was sad really, Because after eaing it, I thought to myself, The dog would have loved these bones.SugarwareZ-011.gif