Filing For Social Security/ For People From The Us

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

For US members coming of age to file for their Social Security Benefits. Benefits can be filed online or on the telephone, I decided to do mine on the telephone because their online site did not recognize me. I believe I know why but will not go into it here, so just be prepared to do it on the phone in case the same thing happens to you. You can estimate your benefits Here and you can file no more than 3 months in advance of 62 years old or later.If you wish to file by phone - call 1-800-772-1213. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can call the TTY 1-800-325-0778. Be prepared to be asked a bunch of questions, such asDOBSS numberPlace of BirthMothers maiden nameYou checking account routing number (so they can direct deposit your money) and other possible bank info, so have your checkbook or banking info in front of you when you call.Wifes DOB and her SS number (if she has one)If divorced, X-wifes DOB, date of divorce and her SS number, I do not know if they would want multiple names and number if you are divorced more than once but my guess is that they will. (I did not have my x's ss number and they accepted the application anyway).Other questions may be asked about your military service, former places of employment etc, all questions you may be asked will be on their website and explained while waiting on the phone for a human to answer. The whole phone process took about one hour and that was not a problem for me since I have a Magic Jack VOIP phone here while in the Philippines and I did not wish to wait until our return to the US to do my filing because I wanted my benefits to start ASAP. Be advised that benefits will not start on your birthday or even in the month you were born, they now start months later, in my case on the third week of the second month after my birthday. So why do I tell you all this, so you can make your plans accordingly for your retirement and your possible travel to the Philippines. I hope some of that helps some US members to make plans for their future.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thanks Lee for the heads up -- will follow your foot steps in about two years,that is if the Social Security Dept will not go into bankrupt by then.Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Doesn't it also depend on in what State you are filing for your Social Security Benefits? I beleive the rate is different from state to state, but not certain. In California, they require to see your legal documents and certificates in person prior to completing the process. Anyone living in the Philippines can apply for their U.S. Social Security Benefits at the Manila U.S. Embassy.

Edited by Pinoy Art

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Doesn't it also depend on in what State you are filing for your Social Security Benefits? I beleive the rate is different from state to state, but not certain. In California, they require to see your legal documents and certificates in person prior to completing the process. Anyone living in the Philippines can apply for their U.S. Social Security Benefits at the Manila U.S. Embassy.
Art, I do not think states have a say over it but I could be wrong. If you and others look at their website, they say you can file online or on the phone, so it must be true but I could be wrong. Times are changing.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Art, I do not think states have a say over it but I could be wrong. If you and others look at their website, they say you can file online or on the phone, so it must be true but I could be wrong. Times are changing.
My brother in California filed is Social Security benefits on-line just last year, but had to go to the nearest SSS field office to present his original legal documents and certificates in order to complete the processing of his SSS benefit application. I don't really know how much he's receiving, but he started collecting his benefits 2 months after his 62th birthday via direct deposit to his California bank account.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
My brother in California filed is Social Security benefits on-line just last year, but had to go to the nearest SSS field office to present his original legal documents and certificates in order to complete the processing of his SSS benefit application. I don't really know how much he's receiving, but he started collecting his benefits 2 months after his 62th birthday via direct deposit to his California bank account.
I wonder if it could be different for people born in the US. I was born in the good old US of A. I am not sure if you and your bother were or not? They told me that they would send me a paper and if everything on it was correct, and it has to be because they repeated it all to me on the phone, then I was done and my money, and they gave me the exact amount, would be deposited into my checking account, and then gave me the date it would be there. Maybe they have different rules in different states but one of my friends from New York was the one who told me he did it on the phone and that is why I knew to try it that way.