Eating Mango's

cebuexpat
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well I am sure everyone's going to call me stupid... Which is ok, i am sometimes. But when I tell this story, remember where I am from. A small Kentucky farming community, with all old timers, farmers, and not a lot of worldly people. We did not go to the city much, we were not big TV watchers, just a reserved little town with a lot of hillbillys...SO anyways, when I first arrived here, they was showing me around and well I was amazed with the fruits... Have to realize I never a coconut tree in my life except on TV.. Plus some of the other tropical fruits just looked amazing to me... So while at a small market my partner had wondered away from me. So I decided I would try some of the fruits... I looked and asked the vendor what is the yellow one... She said Mango... Well I had heard of the fruit but never seen one or tried one... She said very good sir, you try.... So I bought two... Went over on the sidewalk and looked at it... It looked good, reminded me of a peach..I said ok looks like a peach, feels like a peach, i will eat it like a peach.... So i just bit down into it and started eating. Skin and all... Well needless to say it was not as good as I was hoping with the bitter skin taste. In few moments I noticed a crowed had gathered and was really smiling and small laughing to themsleves... Then when my partner and her friends returned, they began to really laugh... I was very confused, what had i done... Why was they laughing at me... Well when they told me,,, I began to laugh also.. I said I kept wondering why everyone was saying Mango was so good.. I thought wow surely that many people could not like it..... Once they showed me how to cut it and eat the inside, things improved greatly.....

Edited by cebuexpat

Demeter
Posted
Posted
Well I am sure everyone's going to call me stupid... Which is ok, i am sometimes. But when I tell this story, remember where I am from. A small Kentucky farming community, with all old timers, farmers, and not a lot of worldly people. We did not go to the city much, we were not big TV watchers, just a reserved little town with a lot of hillbillys...SO anyways, when I first arrived here, they was showing me around and well I was amazed with the fruits... Have to realize I never a coconut tree in my life except on TV.. Plus some of the other tropical fruits just looked amazing to me... So while at a small market my partner had wondered away from me. So I decided I would try some of the fruits... I looked and asked the vendor what is the yellow one... She said Mango... Well I had heard of the fruit but never seen one or tried one... She said very good sir, you try.... So I bought two... Went over on the sidewalk and looked at it... It looked good, reminded me of a peach..I said ok looks like a peach, feels like a peach, i will eat it like a peach.... So i just bit down into it and started eating. Skin and all... Well needless to say it was not as good as I was hoping with the bitter skin taste. In few moments I noticed a crowed had gathered and was really smiling and small laughing to themsleves... Then when my partner and her friends returned, they began to really laugh... I was very confused, what had i done... Why was they laughing at me... Well when they told me,,, I began to laugh also.. I said I kept wondering why everyone was saying Mango was so good.. I thought wow surely that many people could not like it..... Once they showed me how to cut it and eat the inside, things improved greatly.....
No, you're not stupid. You were just innocent then.
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Try the green Indian mangoes with a slight yellowish color inside, you can slice it up leaving the peel on and eat it! Try it with shrimp alamang (salty shrimp paste). But don't eat too many green Indian mangoes, it'll give you gas and will be farting all evening! SugarwareZ-011.gifSugarwareZ-005.gifSugarwareZ-003.gif

Edited by Pinoy Art
  • Like 1

volstateguy
Posted
Posted
Well I am sure everyone's going to call me stupid...

Travis
Posted
Posted
i guess it is a good thing you are not allergic to mango skin or it would have been them watching you gasp for air instead of laughing- people need to be very careful when trying out new foods & maybe carry around benedryl fast disolving tabs to place on their tongues just incase

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

An additional bit of advice if you ever decide to pick your own. Don't get sap from the tree or the juice that drips from the stem when you pick them on your skin. Worse than any poison ivy you ever had. In Hawaii we used to refer to that as Mango herpes. thumbs-up-smile.gif The fruit is mighty good though. I like them just a little bit green so they are still firm.