Jeff's Banking questions

jeff bradshaw
Posted
Posted

Thank You for that information. It is easy enough to live in a country as a tourist..but when it comes to living as a resident and getting serious about being here...your eyes get opened very wide, very quickly!ok, I will check into the cheque option. I must admit that i don't carry a UK cheque book here thinking that would be of no use at all, so left it back in the uk. Writing a cheque and presenting it to a Philippine bank account wasn't something I had considered as possible..shows my ignorance I guess....especially for a large sum of money.I had approached the HSBC to set up a Premier account so that I could use the international free transfer arrangement from a UK HSBC to a Philippine HSBC account. The problem is that you need to leave 50k in the to keep the account open or they charge a monthly fee. and the UK branch would let me register the account to be tax exempt electronically. they would have to send me a paper form to sign and return to them by post. As I am about to leave the country for a few months, it would not have been possible to resolve until i get back, so havent bothered progressing opening the account..i reckon there is a better way to do it with my existing Nationwide bank account. I use the ATM card here easy enough, although i can only get on average 10,000 pesos a day out...useless for large purchases. For example, i get married in around 10 days time. To pay for the wedding I have had to take 10,000 pesos out of the ATM machine almost every day for a while and hoard it as i stockpile lots of peso notes!RegardsJeff