Korea And Pocket File, Knife, Can Opener

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I just thought I would give everyone a heads up if you are going to travel through Korea. As many of you might know, my wife and I just returned to the US for the umpteenth time and this was the first round trip on Korean Airlines. I have been carrying in my carry on, a novelty nail file that I got maybe 25 years ago and it was maybe a total of an inch and a half in long and included a small rounded top edge knife of about one inch long, a can opener with a screwdriver tip, and a file and this has been with me back and forth to the Philippines in my carry on with my suitcase key attached and has acted as a key holder during that whole time and on 50 or more airline trips out of the US and back and through Korea on the way to the Philippines where I was checked in Seoul before getting on the last leg of our trip to Cebu. Now while this item may or may not be allowed, there are many items on the TSA list which would be far worse IMO such as screw drivers up to 7 inches   :7500: , scissors of less than 4 inches,   :mocking:  nail files and no size is mentioned  :wt-hell:  and my wife usually carries a metal one which is about 5 inches in total, eyeglass screwdrivers which they wished to take those away from me but I protested because they are allowed, corkscrew and no size is mentioned,   :wt-hell:  now why would someone need that in carry on luggage?, knitting needles   :wt-hell:  and my friends wife carries some very large metal ones and no one every says a peep even when people could use plastic ones on a flight, etc, etc.Now the point I am trying to make is not so much that they took away something that maybe they were allowed to do, but that it has made it with me back and forth to the Philippines on way too many occasions to count and it was never taken before, and that much worse items are allowed that could be used as weapons such as some of those I have mentioned above. Now to make matters worse, once on the flight they served us meals and what did they issue to us,  thats right they gave us metal silverware which included a fork, a spoon, and get this, a large steak knife   :wt-hell:  with of course a rounded tip, and up to 4 inch scissors and 7 inch screwdrivers are allowed and I sure cannot see why anyone would need one of those on a plane or in the carry on luggage and then they allow 10 inch metal knitting needles which would be far worse weapons than my one inch rounded tip file knife blade. So I ask you, what the heck is going on with these rules and what idiot makes them anyway?  Let me add, otherwise we enjoyed our travel on both Korean Airlines and Delta airlines and going through Korea was otherwise very pleasant. 

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
I just thought I would give everyone a heads up if you are going to travel through Korea. As many of you might know, my wife and I just returned to the US for the umpteenth time and this was the first round trip on Korean Airlines. I have been carrying in my carry on, a novelty nail file that I got maybe 25 years ago and it was maybe a total of an inch and a half in long and included a small rounded top edge knife of about one inch long, a can opener with a screwdriver tip, and a file and this has been with me back and forth to the Philippines in my carry on with my suitcase key attached and has acted as a key holder during that whole time and on 50 or more airline trips out of the US and back and through Korea on the way to the Philippines where I was checked in Seoul before getting on the last leg of our trip to Cebu. Now while this item may or may not be allowed, there are many items on the TSA list which would be far worse IMO such as screw drivers up to 7 inches :7500: , scissors of less than 4 inches, :mocking: nail files and no size is mentioned :wt-hell: and my wife usually carries a metal one which is about 5 inches in total, eyeglass screwdrivers which they wished to take those away from me but I protested because they are allowed, corkscrew and no size is mentioned, :wt-hell: now why would someone need that in carry on luggage?, knitting needles :wt-hell: and my friends wife carries some very large metal ones and no one every says a peep even when people could use plastic ones on a flight, etc, etc.Now the point I am trying to make is not so much that they took away something that maybe they were allowed to do, but that it has made it with me back and forth to the Philippines on way too many occasions to count and it was never taken before, and that much worse items are allowed that could be used as weapons such as some of those I have mentioned above. Now to make matters worse, once on the flight they served us meals and what did they issue to us, thats right they gave us metal silverware which included a fork, a spoon, and get this, a large steak knife :wt-hell: with of course a rounded tip, and up to 4 inch scissors and 7 inch screwdrivers are allowed and I sure cannot see why anyone would need one of those on a plane or in the carry on luggage and then they allow 10 inch metal knitting needles which would be far worse weapons than my one inch rounded tip file knife blade. So I ask you, what the heck is going on with these rules and what idiot makes them anyway? Let me add, otherwise we enjoyed our travel on both Korean Airlines and Delta airlines and going through Korea was otherwise very pleasant.
I caught a Emirates flight out of Brisbane to S'pore , just post 911, and had a nail clippers taken from my toilet bag and I had to "witness" (Please come this way - Sir) the destruction (breaking off) of the file blade and see it placed in a "Sharps box" !!! It was blunt!! and file was 1 1/2 inches long. (38mm.)..... boarded the flight and was served with a glass (GLASS) of fissy and the meal later was presented with Steel cutlery... A few "Banana Bender" cocktails followed..SugarwareZ-005.gif UK Tom Edited by Singers

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
SugarwareZ-024.gif... novelty nail file... SugarwareZ-003.gif... TSA list ... screw drivers up to 7 inches... scissors less than 4 inches... corkscrew... knitting needles So I ask you, what the heck is going on with these rules and what idiot makes them anyway?
Answer - knee jerk bureaucrats, rather than security experts.Virtually every screening rule is a simplistic reaction aimed at the most visible aspect of a specific event... after the fact, of course. Liquid explosives were an obvious known threat before the 2006 event, etc... but --I was at Ft. Lauderdale Int'l waiting to board a plane back to Dallas in 2006, when suddenly every boarding gate was closed, all planes de-boarded... and everyone sent back out of secure areas to be re-screened. Big trashcans were rolled out and placed by each screening area.. TSA had banned "all" liquids from being carried on any plane. So, everything liquid or even semi-solid like gels in every carry-on bag went in the trash. Liquid Rx medicines, special diabetic drinks, etc., Babies who were boarding with parents for a 10 hour flight... too bad, not even baby formula or bottled mother's milk was let through. Wow... glad I wasn't setting next to those unhappy babies. 6 hours later I was finally back to the boarding area. Of course, over the next 4 years the rules have been modified to the 4 oz., etc., rules we now have.I am not complaining about security rules... I appreciate the good ones and wish some were much more strict... I am just critical of the reactive method by which ineffective rules are promulgated.Next trip, attach a set of steak knives to your luggage keys.Welcome back to the good ole' U S of A -- "land of smiles" Mad.gif and "friendly waves"auto_wos2.gif from passing motorist.Tom in Texas

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)

Welcome back to the good ole' U S of A -- "land of smiles" Mad.gif and "friendly waves"auto_wos2.gif from passing motorist.Tom in Texas
An accurate description of UK also but here it is WOMEN drivers who use the offensive gestures mostly and I speak as a passenger being driven by an eX. police driver.!!! The other day a "Lady" complete with kids and ON HER MOBILE phone caused him to swerve to avoid her and SHE gave him "the finger".In Ireland my friend, eX Priest and BSAP , said he will carry a brick in his car for women drivers to smash their windscreen (he WAS kidding) I think!!!UK Tom:mocking: Edited by Mr. Lee
repair quotes

Travis
Posted
Posted
I just thought I would give everyone a heads up if you are going to travel through Korea. As many of you might know, my wife and I just returned to the US for the umpteenth time and this was the first round trip on Korean Airlines. I have been carrying in my carry on, a novelty nail file that I got maybe 25 years ago and it was maybe a total of an inch and a half in long and included a small rounded top edge knife of about one inch long, a can opener with a screwdriver tip, and a file and this has been with me back and forth to the Philippines in my carry on with my suitcase key attached and has acted as a key holder during that whole time and on 50 or more airline trips out of the US and back and through Korea on the way to the Philippines where I was checked in Seoul before getting on the last leg of our trip to Cebu. Now while this item may or may not be allowed, there are many items on the TSA list which would be far worse IMO such as screw drivers up to 7 inches wt-hell.gif , scissors of less than 4 inches, wt-hell.gif nail files and no size is mentioned wt-hell.gif and my wife usually carries a metal one which is about 5 inches in total, eyeglass screwdrivers which they wished to take those away from me but I protested because they are allowed, corkscrew and no size is mentioned, wt-hell.gif now why would someone need that in carry on luggage?, knitting needles wt-hell.gif and my friends wife carries some very large metal ones and no one every says a peep even when people could use plastic ones on a flight, etc, etc.Now the point I am trying to make is not so much that they took away something that maybe they were allowed to do, but that it has made it with me back and forth to the Philippines on way too many occasions to count and it was never taken before, and that much worse items are allowed that could be used as weapons such as some of those I have mentioned above. Now to make matters worse, once on the flight they served us meals and what did they issue to us, thats right they gave us metal silverware which included a fork, a spoon, and get this, a large steak knife wt-hell.gif with of course a rounded tip, and up to 4 inch scissors and 7 inch screwdrivers are allowed and I sure cannot see why anyone would need one of those on a plane or in the carry on luggage and then they allow 10 inch metal knitting needles which would be far worse weapons than my one inch rounded tip file knife blade. So I ask you, what the heck is going on with these rules and what idiot makes them anyway? Let me add, otherwise we enjoyed our travel on both Korean Airlines and Delta airlines and going through Korea was otherwise very pleasant.
tsa used to allow small pocket knives but I see they must have changed that now but I am amazed at what they do allow when comparred to what they do not allow SugarwareZ-037.gifSugarwareZ-037.gifSugarwareZ-037.gif

love2winalot
Posted
Posted

Hiya: Customs in Las Vegas inspected one of my bags, and took out the small jar if manchetto cherries. The officer did offer to have them tested if i really wanted to bring them.......????

Travis
Posted
Posted
Hiya: Customs in Las Vegas inspected one of my bags, and took out the small jar if manchetto cherries. The officer did offer to have them tested if i really wanted to bring them.......????
if it had been me then I would have insisted on him letting me eat them right there and then laugh.gif & maybe I would have given him a couple to shut his mouth laugh.gif

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

When in doubt, we just put questionable things in our check-in baggage to avoid any hassles or confrontations! SugarwareZ-003.gif:th_goodidea: