Who Needs Doctors Anyway?

Hosea
Posted
Posted

Anyone know the how, what, where and whens of getting health insurance in the Philippines? How much I will pay for the best care and all the other questions I don't know to ask right now? My daughter was born in Davao City 18 months ago. It was a very good experience but not with my insurance company here in the states. It cost me just over $1,600. Not all that much comparing to my oldest daughter's birth 30 years ago that was over $4,000. My insurance company back then paid just about everything. This time my insurance company here has run me through the hoops, dumped me in the trash, kicked me to the curb and given me a lot less than I paid out of pocket. PPO's suck!I may change companies this November. This close to retirement I may have to be with this company for my last 5 years to be able to keep company insurance at retirement. Not sure I should even keep insurance from here but just in case I have to return to the states it will cost me a lot more to continue health insurance. It would be interesting to know about life insurance as well. Do they pay and is it worth it?

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Just a few days ago a friend gave me a pamphlet from Blue Cross (don't know if it is the same as in the US) ...... many people will tell you that medical care is so cheap you don't need insurance but at my age that may not be true ...... so I am looking into it ....... the plan offered in my age bracket of 51-65 it costs per year for the cheapest plan ....... P 8,865 for a ward and P 15,797 for a semi-private ....... private is P 26,722 ........I am going to at least look into it ... if nothing else just peace of mind ....

• 11 months later...
Hosea
Posted
Posted

Before I left the US I saw that Blue Cross has an international plan that is excepted here in the Philippines. I'm not sure but I think I abandoned further looking into Blue Cross because the information I had said that it was only accepted by a few hospitals and they all may have been in Manila. When we arrived here in Davao I began to ask people here and there in the medical field what insurance is accepted most here. One name kept coming up. Maxicare Healthcare Corporation www.maxicare.com.ph. I noticed that if when you ask for a quote you will get a better price by providing your wife's birthday and not your own if you are an old guy like me. From the info you provided I will probably not count out Blue Cross either.

brock
Posted
Posted
Just a few days ago a friend gave me a pamphlet from Blue Cross (don't know if it is the same as in the US) ...... many people will tell you that medical care is so cheap you don't need insurance but at my age that may not be true ...... so I am looking into it ....... the plan offered in my age bracket of 51-65 it costs per year for the cheapest plan ....... P 8,865 for a ward and P 15,797 for a semi-private ....... private is P 26,722 ........I am going to at least look into it ... if nothing else just peace of mind ....
A guy I met in Lonestar Bar gave me his card, I dont know if this will be of any help to anyone.www.bluecross.com.phUli StoeckerMedical Sales AssociateBlue Cross Insurance, inc,#13, Montesclaros ApartmentDon Gervacio Quijada St,Guadalupe, Cebu CityTel, No,: (032)255-5765Mobile;+63928 301-7611Email; uli.stoecker1@web.de

• 1 year later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Blue Cross. Philippines is 1 of the better insurance carriers for the "expat" . Medicare (US) is not effective outside the US,only in certain areas. please read the medicare site for uptodate info.. IF you have "medicare select" from California, You may have some type of coverage please check other forum post listing what is current.or your provider from the Us,Several Philippine carriers do offer HMO' coverage but it is not nationwide. offered mostly in the major cities (manila.cebu.Davao )and provinces located adjacent to them.these carriers may be limited in coverage and restrictions .(age, past health, etc)Philhealth.the government health insurance is available to us .inquire at www.philhealth.gov.phalso this was covered on another post.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes, Blue Cross of the Philippines is a good medical insurance plan, but you have to jump through a lot of hoops before one can get coverage from them! Go to Gold Heart's post #8 http://www.philippin...?showtopic=3835 and see what he went through to get coverage.Gold Heart moved back to the U.S. last year I believe and haven't heard from him since! I hope he and his family is doing well!

Edited by Art2ro

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

For those of us who have Blue Cross Blue Shield in the USA, there is coverage internationally to some degree that can be found on their website HERE or by making phone calls to them.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Actually the majority of U.S. medical health insurance plans do have coverage internationally, but on a preauthorization basis and for reimbursement only after the fact! There isn’t a lot of international insurance companies that hospitals in the Philippines will accept, except on a cash paid for services up front basis! Blue Cross of the Philippines does have a health plan that doesn’t require out of the pocket out lay that covers the patient 100% of all medical costs, but their annual premiums are expensive! The majority of other health insurance plans in the Philippines are of up front payment with 80% reimbursement and sometimes are limited to what is covered! In the Philippines, one gets what one pays for and their medical procedures policies differs from one insurance company to the next!