British Passport

TERENCE
Posted
Posted

Hello it me again being stupid can anyone help again ^_^My wife is going to apply for british citizenship and passport. She already has definate leave to remain in england.Will it be a problem if we retire to the philippines in same year as passport is given and live there for many years.Will Uk government question her why she was staying in Philippines if she has been given a naturalization/British passport.Many thanks in advance.

brock
Posted
Posted
Hello it me again being stupid can anyone help again ^_^My wife is going to apply for british citizenship and passport. She already has definate leave to remain in england.Will it be a problem if we retire to the philippines in same year as passport is given and live there for many years.Will Uk government question her why she was staying in Philippines if she has been given a naturalization/British passport.Many thanks in advance.
All people holding a British passport live all over the world, You do not have to reside in the UK to hold a passport. Some people hold a British passport and have never been to the UK.

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
All people holding a British passport live all over the world, You do not have to reside in the UK to hold a passport. Some people hold a British passport and have never been to the UK.
Hi Brock,The rules have changed... Brussels rules now. :lol: ... ALL CHANGE ...for pastures new... (PI perhaps) soon there will be NO British passport OR British Embassies... While I have not studied the "Filipina holding a UK Passport Rules --Tex has mentioned a ??? requirement for a "minimum time" in and out of UK for such (any) O/Seas born new UK P/Port holders.In the 3 years it took Tex we had 4 changes in "requirements" from Home Office now Border Agency --- more like a Para-Military shower of aggressive PR1CKS. IMO. The old decencies HAVE GONE. :cheersty: UK Tom Edited by Singers

TERENCE
Posted
Posted
Hi Brock - thanks for the advice / not really sure if we apply for British Citizenship/Passport if we are not staying in UK. We just dont want to create a trouble in UK Government in the future, but it will very helpfull to us if my wife holding a British Passport as we can have a holiday in Asia or Europe even in USA without applying for visa when we retire in Philippines.We read somewhere that if my wife apply for a Naturalization/Bristish Citizentship means we stay and live in UK and the only acceptable expalanation is to start work for overseas company that has a association in UK, this indicates that at least intend to continue being an active citizen of the UK and not to retire outside UK.There are so many things to consider and we just dont want to jump in the boat and let it take you there without knowing the rules.Some advise would be appriciated in anyonw in this position :lol:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hi Brock - thanks for the advice / not really sure if we apply for British Citizenship/Passport if we are not staying in UK. We just dont want to create a trouble in UK Government in the future, but it will very helpfull to us if my wife holding a British Passport as we can have a holiday in Asia or Europe even in USA without applying for visa when we retire in Philippines.We read somewhere that if my wife apply for a Naturalization/Bristish Citizentship means we stay and live in UK and the only acceptable expalanation is to start work for overseas company that has a association in UK, this indicates that at least intend to continue being an active citizen of the UK and not to retire outside UK.There are so many things to consider and we just dont want to jump in the boat and let it take you there without knowing the rules.Some advise would be appriciated in anyonw in this position :lol:
My advice would be to get her a UK passport and use a family or friends address if you decide to leave the UK and then just consider it to be a long vacation due to an excuse of health issues of someone in your wifes family, and then if you decide to stay in the Philippines, then you can deal with what the UK government does down the road. Laws change and who knows what the future will hold, so IMO why worry about it now because if she does not have the UK passport then you and your wife will not be able to do some of the travel you wish to as easily, and then if they revoke it down the road, then she and you will already have traveled around during her time holding the passport. Problem solved and what they do not know as long as you keep a UK address will not hurt you for years to come. What is the worse they can do, revoke her passport later on, she will still have her other citizenship in her home country. 

brock
Posted
Posted
Hi Brock,The rules have changed... Brussels rules now. 714_full_of_crap.gif ... ALL CHANGE ...for pastures new... (PI perhaps) soon there will be NO British passport OR British Embassies... While I have not studied the "Filipina holding a UK Passport Rules --Tex has mentioned a ??? requirement for a "minimum time" in and out of UK for such (any) O/Seas born new UK P/Port holders.In the 3 years it took Tex we had 4 changes in "requirements" from Home Office now Border Agency --- more like a Para-Military shower of aggressive PR1CKS. IMO. The old decencies HAVE GONE. signnvm.gif UK Tom
So what happens to my 2 children born in the Philippines with a British passport, But never been to the UK ?

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

The rules are changing.. as regards never being in the UK yet a citizen a girl here had been living on the streets thrown out by her mother and her British father had died. MercyInAction (A british charity in cebu) sorted her out a passport and got the girl on a plane to the UK. So don't think its really an issue.As regards the retirement etc. just don't change your home from outside the UK as long as your registered there you still have rights.. but also check how this affects your pension rights as it may be more beneficial to change it.The E.U. has created a real joke about the borders and passports as long as the Philippines doesnt implode personally I am looking at getting citizenship when I can.

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
Hi Brock,The rules have changed... Brussels rules now. 714_full_of_crap.gif ... ALL CHANGE ...for pastures new... (PI perhaps) soon there will be NO British passport OR British Embassies... While I have not studied the "Filipina holding a UK Passport Rules --Tex has mentioned a ??? requirement for a "minimum time" in and out of UK for such (any) O/Seas born new UK P/Port holders.In the 3 years it took Tex we had 4 changes in "requirements" from Home Office now Border Agency --- more like a Para-Military shower of aggressive PR1CKS. IMO. The old decencies HAVE GONE. signnvm.gif UK Tom
So what happens to my 2 children born in the Philippines with a British passport, But never been to the UK ?
I will make inquiries on Monday unless I get "voice Jail".*UK Tom* = "voice Jail" is what I call the "Please hold - your call is in a Q - pres 1 for crap - 2 for sh1t and 3 - for a jobsworth. = A person who will only work within his job description and hasn't the brain to think outside his work guide anyway... and usually says "It is more than my job is worth" to assist further...???10 years one rang the Home Office and got a PERSON who knew the job thoroughly AND was willing to help ... now you get The Border Agency employee --- a thick sh1t who to answer my question has to put me you on hold to ask another cretin to help and I end up -- hanging up in frustration ... last 2 years I unhelpfully left all that CRUD** to Tex... ** its in the dictionary look it up. Not you Brock the thick sh1t who complained about not being able to understand MY ENGLISH --- WTF Edited by Singers

TERENCE
Posted
Posted
Hi Brock - thanks for the advice / not really sure if we apply for British Citizenship/Passport if we are not staying in UK. We just dont want to create a trouble in UK Government in the future, but it will very helpfull to us if my wife holding a British Passport as we can have a holiday in Asia or Europe even in USA without applying for visa when we retire in Philippines.We read somewhere that if my wife apply for a Naturalization/Bristish Citizentship means we stay and live in UK and the only acceptable expalanation is to start work for overseas company that has a association in UK, this indicates that at least intend to continue being an active citizen of the UK and not to retire outside UK.There are so many things to consider and we just dont want to jump in the boat and let it take you there without knowing the rules.Some advise would be appriciated in anyonw in this position :)
My advice would be to get her a UK passport and use a family or friends address if you decide to leave the UK and then just consider it to be a long vacation due to an excuse of health issues of someone in your wifes family, and then if you decide to stay in the Philippines, then you can deal with what the UK government does down the road. Laws change and who knows what the future will hold, so IMO why worry about it now because if she does not have the UK passport then you and your wife will not be able to do some of the travel you wish to as easily, and then if they revoke it down the road, then she and you will already have traveled around during her time holding the passport. Problem solved and what they do not know as long as you keep a UK address will not hurt you for years to come. What is the worse they can do, revoke her passport later on, she will still have her other citizenship in her home country.
Many thanks for your advice. That is a really good point that we never think about. We selling the house here in the UK so it that case we will not having an address back here but still love to come back for holiday.We appriated for all comments.