Senate Ratifies Immigration Law, Easing Rules On Foreigners

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I am not sure what all this means but this is very interesting. Here is a copy of the actual law Anyone care to decipher all this and tell us if it is good or bad for foreigners?Senate ratifies law easing rules on foreigners The Senate on Friday ratified the Philippine Immigration Act of 2009, helping amend policies that will make it easier for foreigners to visit and engage in business in the country. The law, which will also strengthen and modernize the Bureau of Immigration and Deportation, will also create a border control division that will protect the Philippines’ 32,000-kilometer shoreline. Lawmakers ratified the amendment before the Senate went into a sine die adjournment signaling the end of the 14th Congress. The adjournment was attended by 13 senators, with Liberal Party's Manuel Roxas and Benigno Aquino III failing to show up.In February, a bicameral conference committee reconciled the Senate's and House of Representatives' versions of the bill.Before Senate Bill 3404 was ratified, Immigration chief Marcelino Libanan - in an interview with Senate reporters - emphasized the importance of ratifying the measure in enhancing both the country's security and tourism.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

I gave up after about 6 pages!Regards: Jim

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Kind of a long winded and boring Bill to read! It also mentioned, they still have to draft the rules and regulations to implement the Bill! More red tape it seems! And I thought they were to simplify the whole thing as to make it more user friendly for the investors to bring in more trade into the Philippines! What do I know about business? Nada! Hey! I'm retired, don't need the aggravation and stress at my old age! SugarwareZ-004.gif23_11_59[1].gif

Edited by Pinoy Art

Mik
Posted
Posted (edited)
Section 36. Non-Quota Immigrants. - The following immigrants, termed “non-quota immigrants”, may be admitted without regard to numerical limitation and immigration reciprocity:(a) The spouse of a Philippine citizen: Provided, however, That the abandonment and failure to give support by the foreign spouse to his Filipino wife and family, legal separation, or termination of the marital status by annulment or divorce where the cause is attributable to the foreign spouse, shall constitute grounds for cancellation of the immigrant visa issued to the foreign spouse;
The 13(a) immigrant visa is conditional upon maintaining your marriage. But death of the sponsoring Philippine citizen spouse is not listed as grounds for cancellation of the visa. . Edited by Mik

UZI
Posted
Posted

It seems to me, from my experience, that since Libanan took over the BI, Visas are simpler, graft has been reduced (no fixers at least in public) and the regs are clearer to understand. That may not sit with everyone who like the current chaotic nature of the BI, especially certain types of foreigner who like flying under the radar.This seems like a strong attempt to get off the inconsistent implementing of the regs outside of Manila and to get the BI in line with accepted International conventions.The key here is not this draft law but the next stage, which is the implementing of the law. So often here, it is that part we get frustrated with.As for Mik's comment....quite right too as far as I understand it. Uzi.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted (edited)
It seems to me, from my experience, that since Libanan took over the BI, Visas are simpler, graft has been reduced (no fixers at least in public) and the regs are clearer to understand. That may not sit with everyone who like the current chaotic nature of the BI, especially certain types of foreigner who like flying under the radar.This seems like a strong attempt to get off the inconsistent implementing of the regs outside of Manila and to get the BI in line with accepted International conventions.The key here is not this draft law but the next stage, which is the implementing of the law. So often here, it is that part we get frustrated with.As for Mik's comment....quite right too as far as I understand it. Uzi.
I think the important thing is just wait and see.. as my wife says she doesn't get excited over promises incase it brings disappointment. Which also fits into the way of life here.. :hystery: don't worry about it until it happens. Edited by Mr. Lee
Repair quote

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
Section 36. Non-Quota Immigrants. - The following immigrants, termed “non-quota immigrants”, may be admitted without regard to numerical limitation and immigration reciprocity:(a) The spouse of a Philippine citizen: Provided, however, That the abandonment and failure to give support by the foreign spouse to his Filipino wife and family, legal separation, or termination of the marital status by annulment or divorce where the cause is attributable to the foreign spouse, shall constitute grounds for cancellation of the immigrant visa issued to the foreign spouse;
The 13(a) immigrant visa is conditional upon maintaining your marriage. But death of the sponsoring Philippine citizen spouse is not listed as grounds for cancellation of the visa. .
Now if they could just do the same with property rights SugarwareZ-047.gif