Home And Personal Security

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,This is an off shoot from Lee's home invasion thread where I posted a question regardingthe purchase and use of pepper spray in the Philippines. My own research revealed thatthey are readily available for purchase. They might come in handy when riding a jeepney, taxi or bus but not sure if one could carry a small canister into a public place like shopping malls, banks or restaurants. Any thoughts guys........?Respectfully -- Jake

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hey guys,This is an off shoot from Lee's home invasion thread where I posted a question regardingthe purchase and use of pepper spray in the Philippines.  My own research revealed thatthey are readily available for purchase.  They might come in handy when riding a jeepney, taxi or bus but not sure if one could carry a small canister into a public place like shopping malls, banks or restaurants.  Any thoughts guys........?Respectfully -- Jake
Jake, I do not know the laws pertaining to carrying such self defense weapons so maybe someone else will answer that, but I would like to say that while they might be good in some places and for some instances, my personal experiences and knowledge of how robbers work in teams and especially in the Philippines, would lead me to say that unless a person has a lot of training in observing everything around them and getting a feel for what is actually going on and not just what their tunnel vision then tells them is going on, it would be much better to give it up rather than fight when robbed. Now with that said, if it were a life and death situation then it might then be wise to use any and all means at a persons disposal to defend themselves but IMO knowing the difference would be extremely important before taking actions that might get a person killed unnecessarily.  As far as carrying them in a mall, I believe it would probably not be allowed if the security knew about the item but security rarely if ever does more than a cursory check of most non Asian foreigners who know their way around and who do not show concern when checked, and I can tell you that I have gotten way larger items into malls with no problem, and in all our years I have only once been asked about my pocket knife when going into a mall and that one time they only made me sign their book and write down what the weapon was and above what I wrote were guns etc, so place it where they will not touch and IMO just go for it, but again also IMO, since most robbers act in teams, those weapons would only get an untrained person killed and even I when with my wife would rather give up my belongings while in the Philippines rather than try to use force in just a robbery, but if my wifes life were in danger or I felt that they had intent to kill me or us, then all bets would be off since I would then have nothing to lose and something to gain by at least trying. 

Jake
Posted
Posted

Good points of thought Lee. I must admit that using any kind of self defense would invite more serious problems. Like you said, they do work in teams. But if lives are in immediate danger, then all bets are off.Perhaps you could enlighten us on how to "observe and detect" potential danger in a public place. Your background experience as a law enforcement agent could teach us how to read body language, especially from a "holdapper" or even a person using shabu (local meth, ice).Hopefully some of the ladies take note. Our wifes and girlfriends need to know these things,starting with having presence of mind of your surroundings.Respectfully -- Jake

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Good points of thought Lee.  I must admit that using any kind of self defense would invite more serious problems.  Like you said, they do work in teams.  But if lives are in immediate danger, then all bets are off.Perhaps you could enlighten us on how to "observe and detect" potential danger in a public place.  Your background experience as a law enforcement agent could teach us how to read body language, especially from a "holdapper" or even a person using shabu (local meth, ice).Hopefully some of the ladies take note.  Our wifes and girlfriends need to know these things,starting with having presence of mind of your surroundings.Respectfully -- Jake
Jake and others, I am no expert on anything and it is impossible to teach people what years of training and experience would teach a person, I started when I was 13. A person who takes self defense classes would learn some of the things to look for, so I would recommend that for a start. As far as body language, watch the eyes and if a person besides the person involved in the crime is paying excessive attention to everyone around and at the same time to the victim of the crime, or if they are trying to make like they are not looking but really are, then chances are they are part of a team. Mainly it is important for a victim to get out of tunnel vision while still keeping their eyes on your opponent and observe everything about him, his eyes, his hands, his shoulder movements up or down or to the side, the way he turns his body or shifts his hips, etc, they are all signs of things to come and if he is expecting and needing a partner or partners to help him then he will most always look away from you and look their way.  So if your opponents eyes look in a direction then move him in that direction so that he get shot or knifed and not you.IMO it is much better to not play hero and in retrospect what I did was probably stupid for even me to have done since I am no kid anymore.  :hystery: :hystery:

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1YffRYkLhOE"Wrong way Charlie"! This was a little bit of an OVER KILL, but it left a message! If more people are brave to help, it would be a better world!

Edited by Pinoy Art

Travis
Posted
Posted
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1YffRYkLhOE"Wrong way Charlie"! This was a little bit of an OVER KILL, but it left a message! If more people are brave to help, it would be a better world!
thumbs-up-smile.gif good to see a beat down like that of criminals & if those who see crime jump it & help then it could be a better world for all of us

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Anybody thought about installing security devices and or surveillance equipment in your home? A lot of the more modern hardware stores in the Philippines sell them, an AC or DC system in case of a power outage! And when not home, most security systems will call who ever you programed into it if ever the alarm is triggered! We had a similar system when we lived in the U.S. and some came with a monthly service plan connected to a service and or private local law enforcement. Worked pretty well and gave us a peace of mind when away or at home!

Travis
Posted
Posted
Anybody thought about installing security devices and or surveillance equipment in your home? A lot of the more modern hardware stores in the Philippines sell them, an AC or DC system in case of a power outage! And when not home, most security systems will call who ever you programed into it if ever the alarm is triggered! We had a similar system when we lived in the U.S. and some came with a monthly service plan connected to a service and or private local law enforcement. Worked pretty well and gave us a peace of mind when away or at home!
an alarm system is only as good as your neighbors & the police response both of which would seem to be lacking from what I read. in a high rise I do not feel the need for an alarm but maybe I have a false sense of security & 1 of my neighbors might become a problem. I have seen alarms that attach to the doors with a touch pad on them & that might be good for me to have but I do not know if they sell those here or not. anyone know where 1 of those can be bought in Cebu?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

A camera surveillance system such as THIS ONE might be a good idea to at least have evidence as to the events that lead up to the outcome of an an incident and to make the home owner aware of things to come if home and to give them a chance to call the police before it escalates. Of course the one I show is in the US so probably only 110 volt but I am sure they must have some available locally in the Philippines or to be shipped in.  

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

You could also try a bar of bath soap inside a pair of socks. No problem with security works 1st time every time. thumbs-up-smile.gif And you won't spray yourself in the face. thumbsup.gif