Uk Migrants Must Pass English Test

Travis
Posted
Posted

AddEmoticons04230.giffinally 1 country is getting smart. maybe this is the push they need here to make English the national langauge AddEmoticons04230.gifAddEmoticons04230.gifAddEmoticons04230.gif http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/insideNews.htm?f=2010/june/10/news5.isx&d=2010/june/10<P class=Standard>IMMIGRANTS coming to Britain to marry or join their partners will be asked to take an English language test first, the UK government announced Wednesday All non-European migrants will have to demonstrate basic communication skills before receiving a visa, the announcement said. The measure, due to come into force by the fourth quarter, will apply to spouses and unmarried couples who are already in Britain as well as overseas applicants. They will need to demonstrate they can speak English at the same level required for skilled workers admitted under the points-based system. The introduction of an English language test was one of four key elements of the Conservatives’ election manifesto. However, deputy prime minister Nick Clegg was opposed to the move. Home Secretary Theresa May said: “I believe being able to speak English should be a pre-requisite for anyone who wants to settle here. “The new English requirement for spouses will help promote integration, remove cultural barriers and protect public services. “It is a privilege to come to the UK and that is why I am committed to raising the bar for migrants and ensuring that those who benefit from being in Britain contribute to our society.” The new plans mean a spouse coming from outside Europe must provide evidence they have passed an English language test by an approved provider. Visa applicants in these circumstances must already meet a range of criteria before being allowed to enter the United Kingdom under current rules.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted (edited)

What about inside Europe? So I was right all along they all really do speak English. SugarwareZ-007.gif

Edited by tom_shor