Doctor Operating on Woman

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

Another reason not to eat pork chops. :rolleyes:

Hoz
Posted
Posted (edited)

Food prep in the Philippines is not what I am accustomed to in the US. I'm pretty picky, don't even like eating something that has been in the frige over 2 days! We went to Macro with my sister in laws maid. She was stocking up on meats for the following month and bought several large bags of fresh chicken, pork and beef. The driver took them out to the truck and put them in the covered bed. (Covered with a black plastic lid/topper.) Then the maid decided she needed to find something else for 'Mam" and ran back in. We sat waiting for 15-20 minutes while the fresh meat baked in the back!I was getting very squirmy to say the least. But everyone else acted non plussed.In addition, there were several stops on the way home to run errands!I'm not sure, but anytime we had dinner the next month the meat always tasted a bit 'off'. Maybe that's why I lost 10 pounds while we were visiting...

Edited by Hoz

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

1. It's by Fox.2. It's very rare, if in fact it happened. With Fox a debateable point.3. It happened in America4. What's with you guys?I've lived here 2 years eating local and never had a problem. Don't know anyone who has apart from one day trotts.Got to India if you want problems, lol

tom_shor
Posted
Posted (edited)
Food prep in the Philippines is not what I am accustomed to in the US. I'm pretty picky, don't even like eating something that has been in the frige over 2 days! We went to Macro with my sister in laws maid. She was stocking up on meats for the following month and bought several large bags of fresh chicken, pork and beef. The driver took them out to the truck and put them in the covered bed. (Covered with a black plastic lid/topper.) Then the maid decided she needed to find something else for 'Mam" and ran back in. We sat waiting for 15-20 minutes while the fresh meat baked in the back!I was getting very squirmy to say the least. But everyone else acted non plussed.In addition, there were several stops on the way home to run errands!I'm not sure, but anytime we had dinner the next month the meat always tasted a bit 'off'. Maybe that's why I lost 10 pounds while we were visiting...
Next time bring a cooler and put the meat and refergerated stuff in that. It will keep it cooler for the drive home. Or give the maid jeep fare and tell her to come home when she is finished. Edited by tom_shor

TheMason
Posted
Posted
1. It's by Fox.2. It's very rare, if in fact it happened. With Fox a debateable point.3. It happened in America4. What's with you guys?I've lived here 2 years eating local and never had a problem. Don't know anyone who has apart from one day trotts.Got to India if you want problems, lol
The opening frame of the video says it all..."Only on Fox"You can't live your life worried about the extreme examples. Years ago a friend of mine lost 50% vision in one eye by sipping a drink. She was on a plane and there was some turbulence and the swizzle stick poked her in the eye. Oops. I still drink on planes and use swizzle sticks. I just make sure I keep a hold of the stick when I'm drinking now.Sure, food safety is a concern in the Phils but all you can do is control what you can. Take proper care of food at your house and be selective about restaraunts you frequent and markets you shop at. There are so many unhealthy aspects of life in the RP. Worrying about them all would just ruin my time here.Your comment about India is spot on. I was living in a '5-star' hotel in Delhi for a few months on business. It was my first trip there and I was terrified about catching some disease so I only ate at the hotel restaraunts, was obsessive about hand washing and using hand sanitizer gel. Despite all my precautions, I got e-coli. I was quite ill for a week but on the positive side, I dropped about 30 pounds.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
When I spent 4 days up at Daanbantayan, I visited the wet market, only one Ive seen. All the meat and fish were on open tables,no ice or anything. Plenty of flies to choose from.Not sure if all wet markets are like that but if you were going to eat the pork etc ,I think it should be the same day as purchased. :rolleyes:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yea they pretty much are the same ...... some have salt water for the fish to sprinkle on it ...... the other day Julie came home with some clams that were still spouting water out their snout ...... I thought it was hilarious to watch them pee all over her as she tried to wash them in the sink ....... talk about fresh ... used to get them like that when I lived up in New England and we would feel around for them with our toes ......

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted
The opening frame of the video says it all..."Only on Fox"You can't live your life worried about the extreme examples. Years ago a friend of mine lost 50% vision in one eye by sipping a drink. She was on a plane and there was some turbulence and the swizzle stick poked her in the eye. Oops. I still drink on planes and use swizzle sticks. I just make sure I keep a hold of the stick when I'm drinking now.Sure, food safety is a concern in the Phils but all you can do is control what you can. Take proper care of food at your house and be selective about restaraunts you frequent and markets you shop at. There are so many unhealthy aspects of life in the RP. Worrying about them all would just ruin my time here.Your comment about India is spot on. I was living in a '5-star' hotel in Delhi for a few months on business. It was my first trip there and I was terrified about catching some disease so I only ate at the hotel restaraunts, was obsessive about hand washing and using hand sanitizer gel. Despite all my precautions, I got e-coli. I was quite ill for a week but on the positive side, I dropped about 30 pounds.
Only time I had problems in India were in 5 star hotels. Even there salad is washed in tap wtaer - say no more! Never eat a salad in a hotel, anywhere.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted (edited)
When I spent 4 days up at Daanbantayan, I visited the wet market, only one Ive seen. All the meat and fish were on open tables,no ice or anything. Plenty of flies to choose from.Not sure if all wet markets are like that but if you were going to eat the pork etc ,I think it should be the same day as purchased. :rolleyes:
Yep they are all like that. Best to go early enough the new stuff hasn't been out long. Just be sure you don't get what's left over from the day before. Edited by tom_shor