Ref

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Just curious..In Australia it is common to shorten the word for the refrigerator to fridgeThe Filipinos say ref, not sure what other countries say, Anyone ?? :rolleyes:

Steve
Posted
Posted
Just curious..In Australia it is common to shorten the word for the refrigerator to fridgeThe Filipinos say ref, not sure what other countries say, Anyone ?? :rolleyes:
In the US it's common to say fridge.

On-in-2
Posted
Posted
Truck drivers in the states often call a refrigerated trailer a 'reefer'. Although some people use it to reefer to something else altogether!

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Us old-timers still refer to it as an ice-box .............. right Billie .......

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

Interesting. It's fridge in the UK. I thought ref was a US term. Another mith busted.

Mik
Posted
Posted

Occasionally I will slip and call it an ice box. That's what my dad always called it. His family used an ice box when he was younger. Where I live now, most of my neighbors don't even have that.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Occasionally I will slip and call it an ice box. That's what my dad always called it. His family used an ice box when he was younger. Where I live now, most of my neighbors don't even have that.
My mother still calls the radio the wireless but thats another story.Do your neighbors have any sort of ways to keep foods from spoiling, I think that covering food in salt was a method once,come to think of it once at the Marriott hotel in Cebu I seen the cooks setting up the BBQ and covering the ice with salt then placing the food on top.

BobNChe
Posted
Posted

The salt on the ice you mention is the same principle as old ice cream makers. They used rock salt to melt the ice because the temperature of melting ice mixed with salt causes a brine and a reaction that is actually colder than stagnant ice.