Killings Killings & More Killings

Travis
Posted
Posted

wt-hell.gifwhen will it all end? I am getting tired of reading the news to just see even more daily killings. when will the government here get it under control? will they ever get it under control? If a witness to a major trial cannot be protected http://www.tribuneonline.org/headlines/20100625hed1.html & big businessmen such as the owners of a major hotel are killed & even new media people are being killed in such large numbers then what hope is there for the general public? th_unfair.gifsignnvm.gifshooter.gif23_9_11[1].gif

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
wt-hell.gifwhen will it all end? I am getting tired of reading the news to just see even more daily killings. when will the government here get it under control? will they ever get it under control? If a witness to a major trial cannot be protected http://www.tribuneon...100625hed1.html & big businessmen such as the owners of a major hotel are killed & even new media people are being killed in such large numbers then what hope is there for the general public? th_unfair.gifsignnvm.gifshooter.gif23_9_11[1].gif
Hello my friend,I apologize for being too simplistic but I believe the most recent killings (salvaging) have been high profile victims. Journalist, radio commentaries, rich tycoons have been victimized due to their sponsorship of the wrong candidate. As you may know, sponsorships for their chosen one can be sold under the table. In addition to that, the Tagalog term “utang na loob” is a personal debt of gratitude that are often cashed in during political campaigns. Meaning, I can get you elected provided you sign this business permit/contract once you’re in office. Or your debt is paid in full provided you get rid of certain opposition or witness to a crime.What I understand about ancient Philippine history is that tribal mentality was promoted by natural separation of islands. Some island group, village leaders and tribal warlords were challenged by invaders with bigger swords or bolo knifes. Does this tribal mentality exist today? Oh yeah, but on a much bigger scale and brutality. Today, the biggest and meanest tribe out there is the national government he, he. I mentioned this in another thread, but the corruption machine is well lubricated with the three G’s: Guns, Goons and Gold.What about the welfare of the general public, including the Expat community? Granted you may be caught in a cross fire/bombings but I believe it’s few and far between in most areas of the Philippines. I would try to maintain a low profile and seek mutual respect from all people around me. I know my advice is too general but its basic and simple. Simple as a smile, a greeting or even a thank you.In all fairness, I could argue about the welfare of the general public in USA. School massacres, drive by shootings, serial rapist killers, church shootings, yada, yada, yada…..the biggest killer right now is BP due to fat cats greed and negligence and blatant violations of all safety standards. I would imagine that given a chance, some of those displaced families along the Gulf Coast would rather live in the Philippines.Respectfully -- JakeDisclaimer -- the above remarks does not necessarily reflect the opinions of other staff members of this wonderful forum and therefore shall not be held liable. As always, I welcome point-counter points....... Edited by Jake
spelllllling

Travis
Posted
Posted
wt-hell.gifwhen will it all end? I am getting tired of reading the news to just see even more daily killings. when will the government here get it under control? will they ever get it under control? If a witness to a major trial cannot be protected http://www.tribuneon...100625hed1.html & big businessmen such as the owners of a major hotel are killed & even new media people are being killed in such large numbers then what hope is there for the general public? th_unfair.gifsignnvm.gifshooter.gif23_9_11[1].gif
Hello my friend,I apologize for being too simplistic but I believe the most recent killings (salvaging) have been high profile victims. Journalist, radio commentaries, rich tycoons have been victimized due to their sponsorship of the wrong candidate. As you may know, sponsorships for their chosen one can be sold under the table. In addition to that, the Tagalog term “utang na loob” is a personal debt of gratitude that are often cashed in during political campaigns. Meaning, I can get you elected provided you sign this business permit/contract once you’re in office. Or your debt is paid in full provided you get rid of certain opposition or witness to a crime.What I understand about ancient Philippine history is that tribal mentality was promoted by natural separation of islands. Some island group, village leaders and tribal warlords were challenged by invaders with bigger swords or bolo knifes. Does this tribal mentality exist today? Oh yeah, but on a much bigger scale and brutality. Today, the biggest and meanest tribe out there is the national government he, he. I mentioned this in another thread, but the corruption machine is well lubricated with the three G’s: Guns, Goons and Gold.What about the welfare of the general public, including the Expat community? Granted you may be caught in a cross fire/bombings but I believe it’s few and far between in most areas of the Philippines. I would try to maintain a low profile and seek mutual respect from all people around me. I know my advice is too general but its basic and simple. Simple as a smile, a greeting or even a thank you.In all fairness, I could argue about the welfare of the general public in USA. School massacres, drive by shootings, serial rapist killers, church shootings, yada, yada, yada…..the biggest killer right now is BP due to fat cats greed and negligence and blatant violations of all safety standards. I would imagine that given a chance, some of those displaced families along the Gulf Coast would rather live in the Philippines.Respectfully -- JakeDisclaimer -- the above remarks does not necessarily reflect the opinions of other staff members of this wonderful forum and therefore shall not be held liable. As always, I welcome point-counter points.......
hi Jake. I am not concerned for my safety although I think somewhere is a post about over 100 foreigners being killed in one year& that is really a lot compared to how many are here. it is just depressing continually waking up to the news of more killings & I just wish they would get some of that under control & catch & prosecute those responsible for them all or at least most. yes there are killings in the US too but the population is way larger than here & there just seems to be many more high end people getting killed here. how often in the US do you read of politicians, news reporters or other high end people getting killed-it has just gotten out of hand here & they need to fix it or less of us will be moving here

Jake
Posted
Posted

Your point well taken. It's very frustrating to continually read the almost daily salvaging, kidnappings, scamming etc. Oh did I mentioned occasional decapitations? My favoritecolumnist is Ramon Tulfo from Philippine Daily Inquirer. Talk about frustration, he is wellknown to speak his mind.Respectfully -- Jake

Travis
Posted
Posted
Your point well taken. It's very frustrating to continually read the almost daily salvaging, kidnappings, scamming etc. Oh did I mentioned occasional decapitations? My favoritecolumnist is Ramon Tulfo from Philippine Daily Inquirer. Talk about frustration, he is wellknown to speak his mind.Respectfully -- Jake
thanks Jake I wanted it discussed coz I did not wish people to get discourage from moving here coz it is nice to see other who look like me here- well not really look like me coz few people can be this ugly SugarwareZ-034.gif lol I think you get the idea what I meant. low profile it is for me so I will not get in anyones way yes.gif

• 3 weeks later...
ekimswish
Posted
Posted
hi Jake. I am not concerned for my safety although I think somewhere is a post about over 100 foreigners being killed in one year& that is really a lot compared to how many are here. it is just depressing continually waking up to the news of more killings & I just wish they would get some of that under control & catch & prosecute those responsible for them all or at least most. yes there are killings in the US too but the population is way larger than here & there just seems to be many more high end people getting killed here. how often in the US do you read of politicians, news reporters or other high end people getting killed-it has just gotten out of hand here & they need to fix it or less of us will be moving here
I think so many foreigners get killed because they don't understand the country they're in. I know that if I swear at people for whatever reason in Canada, I should expect a 50% chance of a fight. If I swear at people in Korea, I should expect a 50% chance of a yelling contest. But if I swear at someone in the Philippines I have a 50% chance of a knife in my gut. So I don't behave or react to things the same way in Korea as I do in Canada, or in the Philippines. I expect Canadians to let me walk at a crosswalk when I have the green light. I expect Koreans to let me cross, too, but know the odd a-hole won't, so I get ready to flip the bird. In the Philippines I don't bother expecting anyone to stop for me, so I keep my wits about me at all times crossing the street and refrain from flipping the bird when a jeepney almost runs over my daughter. At the street level, foreigners need to know where they are, and it ain't home. I think the question of government responsibility in all of this is asking a bit much. I think there's a can of worms you could open in the Philippines that could potentially lead to civil wars (on a greater scale), and there's also the equivilent in the US. If you tried to wrestle power away from the corrupt of the American business and political worlds, you could end up with a very big war as well, which is why they don't. See how quickly Obama changed his tune in office. Still trying to do great things, but just without stepping on too many powerful toes.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I think so many foreigners get killed because they don't understand the country they're in. I know that if I swear at people for whatever reason in Canada, I should expect a 50% chance of a fight. If I swear at people in Korea, I should expect a 50% chance of a yelling contest. But if I swear at someone in the Philippines I have a 50% chance of a knife in my gut. So I don't behave or react to things the same way in Korea as I do in Canada, or in the Philippines. I expect Canadians to let me walk at a crosswalk when I have the green light. I expect Koreans to let me cross, too, but know the odd a-hole won't, so I get ready to flip the bird. In the Philippines I don't bother expecting anyone to stop for me, so I keep my wits about me at all times crossing the street and refrain from flipping the bird when a jeepney almost runs over my daughter. At the street level, foreigners need to know where they are, and it ain't home. I think the question of government responsibility in all of this is asking a bit much. I think there's a can of worms you could open in the Philippines that could potentially lead to civil wars (on a greater scale), and there's also the equivilent in the US. If you tried to wrestle power away from the corrupt of the American business and political worlds, you could end up with a very big war as well, which is why they don't. See how quickly Obama changed his tune in office. Still trying to do great things, but just without stepping on too many powerful toes.
I think you are right on and I have seen many who act like they are kings or Gods while in the Philippines and use and abuse the locals but most I have read about who were killed were those in businesses with a lot of money, so while quite a few non Filipinos seem to go into business within the Philippines, it is my opinion that it would be a lot safer to keep a low profile while doing so or just do not go into any business that requires a lot of cash to be kept around or makes a lot of visible money.