New Years Eve Bombs

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

With the new year celebrations coming around quick something reminded me of the fireworks that go off night and day leading up to new years eve.Since us foreigners cant own a gun, are we allowed to purchase those massive sized fireworks I seen selling in Cebu? Man some of them were the size of a bomb :nuke: I read somewhere early in the year about the high number of accidents with fireworks in the Philippines, many people lost limbs and eyes because of those fireworks.In Australia they were banned years ago except for licensed operators.My wife tells me they cant be bought in Mindanao either, my guess is that it would confuse people if fireworks were going off or a real bomb. Maybe they would use the gunpowder to make real bombs :th_thimage_265775:

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
With the new year celebrations coming around quick something reminded me of the fireworks that go off night and day leading up to new years eve.Since us foreigners cant own a gun, are we allowed to purchase those massive sized fireworks I seen selling in Cebu? Man some of them were the size of a bomb :nuke: I read somewhere early in the year about the high number of accidents with fireworks in the Philippines, many people lost limbs and eyes because of those fireworks.In Australia they were banned years ago except for licensed operators.My wife tells me they cant be bought in Mindanao either, my guess is that it would confuse people if fireworks were going off or a real bomb. Maybe they would use the gunpowder to make real bombs :th_thimage_265775:
Yes they make some of them quite powerful and many who use them exercise very little common sense. Some think it is funny to light the triangular ones and throw them on the sidewalks at peoples feet. If you stepped on they they would quite easily remove a toe or two. I even saw one guy stick one in the upright pole of a bamboo scaffold and fill the air with flying bamboo splinters. Both of these guys went elsewhere when I suggested I try one in one of their bodily orfaces not normaly seen by the sun. :1 (235):

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

I can also remember when they would throw those buggers into jeepneys in Olongapo just for laughs. People got hurt because they usually landed on someone lap..Then there were the bottle rockets, with the powder chamber about 1.5 inches in diameter and about 6 inches long...let one of them babies hit you in the back...When I was in Cavite, we had a couple neighbors that used to have bamboo lauchers and would play war games with those things, darting in and about peoples houses while someone is shooting these rockets at each other. Not a fun time in my book. There were always half dozen that lost fingers, eyes or worse every year. Just no common sense. I always tried to stay out of the way as much as possible during those times.

BobNChe
Posted
Posted

In my estimation Christmas and New Years are good times to stay at home and be festive there. Invite a few people over, who will spend the night and not drive later, and just have a good time.In my estimation after seeing what the fiestas were like this year versus last year, Xmas and NYs will be a bit more calm than in the recent past. the economy is much tighter and there is less money for fireworks. Last NYs was like a war zone!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I can also remember when they would throw those buggers into jeepneys in Olongapo just for laughs. People got hurt because they usually landed on someone lap..Then there were the bottle rockets, with the powder chamber about 1.5 inches in diameter and about 6 inches long...let one of them babies hit you in the back...When I was in Cavite, we had a couple neighbors that used to have bamboo lauchers and would play war games with those things, darting in and about peoples houses while someone is shooting these rockets at each other. Not a fun time in my book. There were always half dozen that lost fingers, eyes or worse every year. Just no common sense. I always tried to stay out of the way as much as possible during those times.
I wonder if this law will ever make it to Cebu and other parts of the Country?Cops step up monitoring of firecrackers in Davao City12-19-2008The Davao City Police Office will intensify the monitoring of alltypes of firecrackers banned in this city that covers the directiveof Mayor Rodrigo R. Duterte.DCPO Chief Ramon Apolinario said they are also strengthening itsmonitoring on the possible entry of firecrackers and pyrotechnics inthe city."Firecracker ban has been imposed in Davao City since 2001 duringthe holidays and Duterte has been quite serious about theimplementation," Apolinario said.Earlier this week, Duterte has been reminding the authorities andstern on his orders to the police to detain all violators even thosewho are found in mere possession of any of the banned items."I gave a previous order but I'm reminding the police now. They mustbe arrested even possession only. We are just imple-menting thelaw," the mayor told the police personnel."For minors, it is not really putting them in prison but this is fortheir own protection. They must be told about the dangers ofpyrotechnics. I repeat, must be all detained," Duterte added.Duterte also told the police to keep an eye open for vendors whosell firecrackers on the sly.The Davao City Council passed the local ordinance prohibiting theuse, sale and distribution of pyrotechnics or firecrackers in 2002.But the year before that, they mayor has already made it a policy.Since the implementation of firecracker ban in the city, there wereno longer "bloody Christmases" and the city enjoyed an almost zeroincidence of firecracker related accidents. :whistling:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well I don't know about baning the fireworks here in Cebu ... haven't heard that yet but the are busting illegal fireworks manufacturing here (if you can call loading powder into paper containers manufacturing) ....... so they are doing something ....... But on the other hand they announced on the news tonight that they were going to put a special tape on the guns of policeman to insure that they don't get carried away and fire them into the air during the many celebrations ..... apparently just telling them not to will not suffice ........ 28.gif

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

I don't think they realize what goes up must come down and unlike when you fire it horizontaly at almost the same speed. Firing into the air has been against the law in Phoenix for several years(Since a girl was killed by one). But they catch some if those @ss#oles every year.

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Well I don't know about baning the fireworks here in Cebu ... haven't heard that yet but the are busting illegal fireworks manufacturing here (if you can call loading powder into paper containers manufacturing) ....... so they are doing something ....... But on the other hand they announced on the news tonight that they were going to put a special tape on the guns of policeman to insure that they don't get carried away and fire them into the air during the many celebrations ..... apparently just telling them not to will not suffice ........ 28.gif
Here is an update on the above ......... seems they can't make up their minds ....... SugarwareZ-011.gif No sealing of QC cops' guns for New Year By Julie M. Aurelio Philippine Daily Inquirer First Posted 17:42:00 12/24/2008 MANILA, Philippines--Police in Quezon City won't be sealing their issued firearms with tape this coming New Year in a gesture that their police chief thinks will send a message that cops can be trusted. Senior Supt. Magtanggol Gatdula of the Quezon City Police District assured the public that policemen could be trusted not to fire their guns indiscriminately. He explained that he had nothing against the usual practice of sealing issued firearms with adhesive tape to discourage indiscriminate firing during the holidays. "But this time, we would like to inform the public that Quezon City policemen are no 'wild wild west,'" Gatdula said. Gatdula said the QCPD Firing Range in Camp Karingal would be open to gun owners with an itch to pull the trigger during the merrymaking. "I enjoin the public, particularly gun owners to be responsible. I also call on everyone to report to the police any case of indiscriminate firing," the police official said. The QCPD director also issued a stern warning to both police officers and gun owners caught firing their guns indiscriminately that they would be dealt with accordingly as provided by law. Concerned citizens can report cases of indiscriminate firing through the QCPD Tactical Operations Center at +63 2 9258417.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Here is an update on the above ......... seems they can't make up their minds ....... SugarwareZ-011.gif No sealing of QC cops' guns for New Year By Julie M. AurelioPhilippine Daily InquirerFirst Posted 17:42:00 12/24/2008MANILA, Philippines--Police in Quezon City won't be sealing their issued firearms with tape this coming New Year in a gesture that their police chief thinks will send a message that cops can be trusted.Senior Supt. Magtanggol Gatdula of the Quezon City Police District assured the public that policemen could be trusted not to fire their guns indiscriminately.He explained that he had nothing against the usual practice of sealing issued firearms with adhesive tape to discourage indiscriminate firing during the holidays."But this time, we would like to inform the public that Quezon City policemen are no 'wild wild west,'" Gatdula said.Gatdula said the QCPD Firing Range in Camp Karingal would be open to gun owners with an itch to pull the trigger during the merrymaking."I enjoin the public, particularly gun owners to be responsible. I also call on everyone to report to the police any case of indiscriminate firing," the police official said.The QCPD director also issued a stern warning to both police officers and gun owners caught firing their guns indiscriminately that they would be dealt with accordingly as provided by law.Concerned citizens can report cases of indiscriminate firing through the QCPD Tactical Operations Center at +63 2 9258417.
Well the figures are now out http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/01/01/asia/AS-Philippines-New-Year.phpA light rain and the economic crunch dampened the normally boisterous New Year's Eve revelry in the Philippines, causing a drop in injuries involving firecrackers, Health Secretary Francisco Duque said Thursday.Duque said a government scare campaign, which showed him brandishing a surgical saw on TV to warn would-be victims of possible amputation, also helped bring down the number of people injured by powerful firecrackers to 346, including 181 who were hurt around midnight Wednesday.Police reported at least two deaths caused by firecracker explosions but Duque said health officials were still trying to verify the report.Last year, 434 people were injured by firecracker blasts on and before New Year's Eve, he said.Two low pressure areas off the country's eastern coast brought rains and drizzle to Manila and surrounding provinces late Wednesday, forcing many to stay indoors and raining out street parties.Firecracker blasts still thundered across the capital and lit the night sky but were brief compared to the long, frenzied celebrations in previous years.The economic crunch also kept Filipinos from splurging on firecrackers, Duque said."The worsening global economic condition could also very well explain the low figures recorded," Duque told a news conference.Many Filipinos, largely influenced by Chinese tradition, believe that noisy New Year's celebrations drive away evil and misfortune. But they have carried that superstition to extremes, exploding huge firecrackers and firing guns to welcome the new year despite threats of arrest. 1391.gif