How To Protect Electronic In The Philippines

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

As an off side to another topic on bringing over TV's, I would like to point out how we protect our electronics while living in the Philippines. In Ace Hardware Cebu we found an item that is a small box that plugs into the wall outlet and basically just has a time delay relay in it. I plug my power strip for our TV and all related electronics on our wall unit into that power strip and plug the power strip into one of those devices, so that when the power goes out or the voltage drops enough to do damage, the TV and all electronics connected to that device go off for a few minutes and then when the power comes back on and the relay has timed back on, then they all come back on. I have found the voltage to fluctuate often but not enough to trigger the unit unless the lights dim and that triggers the unit and that would be the time that it might hurt the TV. Then we do the same in the kitchen for our refrigerator and microwave to protect them.On my computer both in the US and the Philippines, I use a UPS which has a battery backup row of outlets and a power surge row and I plug all items into two power strips and then plug those into the appropriate section. Modems, routers, powered hubs and computers should be in the battery backup section to prevent losing the Internet when the power flickers and speakers, printers and other related computer gadgets that power going out will not affect the use of the computer should be plugged into the other power strip and into the surge side of the UPS. Also all aircons should have some form of outlet protection, they sell a larger similar unit which trips on a power failure and has to be manually reset when the power comes back on. I use one of those in a unit we have that has a wall aircon, the units we live in has split aircon and those have delay relays built into them for the compressor and if we are home when the power fails, I shut the breakers to all except a light and only turn them back on when the power comes back on and stays on for a few minutes.Anyone else have any tips they use to keep their electronics running correctly?

Jake
Posted
Posted
As an off side to another topic on bringing over TV's, I would like to point out how we protect our electronics while living in the Philippines. In Ace Hardware Cebu we found an item that is a small box that plugs into the wall outlet and basically just has a time delay relay in it. I plug my power strip for our TV and all related electronics on our wall unit into that power strip and plug the power strip into one of those devices, so that when the power goes out or the voltage drops enough to do damage, the TV and all electronics connected to that device go off for a few minutes and then when the power comes back on and the relay has timed back on, then they all come back on. I have found the voltage to fluctuate often but not enough to trigger the unit unless the lights dim and that triggers the unit and that would be the time that it might hurt the TV. Then we do the same in the kitchen for our refrigerator and microwave to protect them.On my computer both in the US and the Philippines, I use a UPS which has a battery backup row of outlets and a power surge row and I plug all items into two power strips and then plug those into the appropriate section. Modems, routers, powered hubs and computers should be in the battery backup section to prevent losing the Internet when the power flickers and speakers, printers and other related computer gadgets that power going out will not affect the use of the computer should be plugged into the other power strip and into the surge side of the UPS. Also all aircons should have some form of outlet protection, they sell a larger similar unit which trips on a power failure and has to be manually reset when the power comes back on. I use one of those in a unit we have that has a wall aircon, the units we live in has split aircon and those have delay relays built into them for the compressor and if we are home when the power fails, I shut the breakers to all except a light and only turn them back on when the power comes back on and stays on for a few minutes.Anyone else have any tips they use to keep their electronics running correctly?
Hello Lee,I forgot to mentioned on the other thread that purchasing commercial electronic stuff in the Philippines might be more advantageous (even though it maybe more expensive) due to warranties that come with the purchase, like free parts and labor available locally. Fortunately, you were able to repair your TV that way. I believe warranties outside your home country will not be honored. By the way, that auto shut off device sounds very interesting.Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Yes, UPS devices are good to have for your home PCs and other electronic devices that don't have built-in stand by mode features. Some air conditioning units with electronic features will usually stay off after a power outages where those that don't will come back on after power outage is restored and that is damaging to the compressors and refrigerators the like. Power chords with built-in current surge protectors and or UPS devices are a must to have for any electronic devices or appliances without built-in stand by features! And speaking about extended warranties, as long as the brand is of good quality, and the stores and dealers are reputable, there's no problems in getting anything repaired as long as your warranty agreement has not expired, the item shows no signs of abuse and you have your original receipts.