Are Americans And Filipinos Really Friends?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Recently a member posted a question asking why do some Filipinos hate Americans and I just found this opinion and I feel it would be worth reading and commenting on, and especially by any Filipinos who read it. So is the US to blame for where the Philippines is today or would the Philippines have been much better off without US intervention? In the past, July 4 was the day Filipinos celebrated Independence Day until President Diosdado Macapagal changed it to June 12. July 4 was the day the Americans gave us our independence. June 12 was the day Filipinos declared their independence after fighting an anti-colonial war against Spain. His reason was simple. Independence is not given, it is owned and fought for.We were independent long before either Spain or the United States of America came to colonize us. So giving back what we previously owned is no big deal. Indeed, someday a future generation of Filipinos would ponder on what we might have been if Spain and the US had not colonized us and we had gone on to develop our nation on our own. Having been the first country in Asia to establish a constitutional republic we certainly had distinction and political promise. But it was not to be.President Macapagal’s legacy may not seem important to many Filipinos, but I believe that it should be central idea for nationbuilding. We should always be reminded of how we fought for the freedom and independence that was snatched from us by another aspiring colonizer at the expense of a million Filipinos who died in its defense. On this day of friendship, it is good to remember that too.Moreover, when the US granted our independence on July 4, 1946 it was with strings attached, among them the military bases and parity rights for Americans in developing our natural resources. As if these were not onerous conditions enough the US also imposed as a condition that we adopt the American presidential system. As one author wrote, Americans were keen to show the world their superiority not only in war but also in culture, politics and governance. The presidential not parliamentary was their brand.It was President Fidel V. Ramos who set aside July 4 as the day “to commemorate the liberation of the country by joint Filipino and American forces from the Japanese occupation at the end of World War II.”In recent days, this friendship has come under strain with a growing number of Filipinos becoming more conscious that we may have been given our independence formally but America’s influence and occasionally direct intervention on how to run our country continue. Manifest destiny and benevolent assimilation remain alive and kicking.At a recent lunch women who you’d think were not all that interested in politics, the topic of conversation was how the May 10 elections showed all the marks of American interference. They were not misled by oligarchic media or survey groups. They may want America’s friendship but it should not be at the cost of our independence and self-determination.link to where this is from

Jake
Posted
Posted

A quote from Ms Pedrosa of Philippine Star:"We were independent long before either Spain or the United States of America came to colonize us. So giving back what we previously owned is no big deal. Indeed, someday a future generation of Filipinos would ponder on what we might have been if Spain and the US had not colonized us and we had gone on to develop our nation on our own".As a Filipino-American, here is my opinion: Ms Pedrosa is full of it. It doesn't take a future generation to ponder what would Philippines be like if the US and her allies did not save our asses. Without the intervention of US military during WWII, the Filipinos would not be able to develop anything, period. We would continue to suffer under Japanese iron fist. Did I mention millions more Filipinas would be enslaved as comfort women as the Japanese army colonized the whole region, including Australia. Granted, there are some ugly Americans/foreigners that are not good ambassadors. I wouldn't likethem either. As an naturalized US citizen and veteran, I find that the US government and corrupt UScompanies have spoiled the good name of the common people.Some Filipinos will protest their position of national pride (buy/use Philippine made products) and yet have in their possession many kinds of status symbols, all imported from other countries. Go figure......Respectfully -- Jake