15 Killed, 48 Injured In Bus Crash In Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Maybe its time the government or police start cracking down on un roadworthy buses. Surely the bus companies should be held accountable for the safety of passengers.:) CEBU, Philippines — Fifteen people were killed after the brakes on a speeding bus packed with passengers failed and the vehicle slammed into a concrete barrier in the central Philippines. Another 48 people were injured, police said Sunday.The bus carrying mostly homebound factory workers was traveling at high speed Saturday in Cebu province when it lost its brakes while maneuvering a downhill curve. The driver crashed the vehicle into the cement barrier to avoid hitting a throng of pedestrians, police official Erson Digal said.Most victims were killed inside the bus but five others died after being thrown from the vehicle on impact. The dead included a mother and son who died in an embrace, Digal said."It happened so fast. Residents heard the crash then the yells of so many people calling for help," Digal told The Associated Press by telephone.The injured bus driver was taken into police custody for questioning after receiving treatment.Saturday's crash in Toledo city was the second deadly bus accident in recent weeks in the area. A bus rented by Iranian medical students plunged into a ravine off a mountain road in Balamban town, near Toledo, killing 21 people last month.Cebu is about 350 miles (560 kilometers) southeast of the capital Manila.

Braddo
Posted
Posted

You are so correct Boss Man the Bus companies should be held responsible for the accidents that happen because of bad maintenance or incompetent driving My wifes cousin was on that bus he suffered broken bones not sure fully where and how many but she will get more info as it unfoldsI hate traveling on any of the buses and only do so if there is no other option available, I can count on 1 hand how many times I have traveled by bus and each time was a white knuckle experience.Cheers Braddo

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
You are so correct Boss Man the Bus companies should be held responsible for the accidents that happen because of bad maintenance or incompetent driving My wifes cousin was on that bus he suffered broken bones not sure fully where and how many but she will get more info as it unfoldsI hate traveling on any of the buses and only do so if there is no other option available, I can count on 1 hand how many times I have traveled by bus and each time was a white knuckle experience.Cheers Braddo
While sitting on a bus at the north bus terminal waiting to depart,the bus next to me was backing out,I looked down and could see canvas and steel showing through the tires on that bus,maybe the one I was on was the same but anyway after that trip it was my last,never again.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
While sitting on a bus at the north bus terminal waiting to depart,the bus next to me was backing out,I looked down and could see canvas and steel showing through the tires on that bus,maybe the one I was on was the same but anyway after that trip it was my last,never again.
Seems you Aussies have no sense of adventure.   SugarwareZ-004.gif Falling off a cliff would be neat, at least until the sudden stop,   :AddEmoticons04230: sort of like bungee jumping but while inside a bus with no seat belts.   :o My wife and I have traveled on buses and Vhires and both IMO are like putting our lives on the line because few vehicles seem to be maintained properly in the Philippines from my personal experiences, and I sure would not trust most taxis in the Philippines on long trips either.   :o May just be best to just stay home or do a personal inspection of the vehicle before even getting into any and I know that I would at least look over the tires before getting into any vehicle I was going to take on a long trip, but how would we know about the condition of the brakes or the competence of the driver.   :SugarwareZ-034: Millions of Filipinos take buses, ships, Vhires, jeepneys etc daily and most seem to survive, so all we can do is hope for the best and pray the Philippines tries to have safer transportation in the future, and that our number is not up yet. :10001: 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Looks like they have listened,lolCEBU, Philippines - The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) will issue a one month suspension order today of the franchises of the four other buses owned by Dulce Gantuangco, owner of the bus that figured a road accident in Toledo City last Saturday killing 15 of its passengers.http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=590513&publicationSubCategoryId=107

• 1 month later...
Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I guess they have not listened hard enough 20 hurt as bus slams into SUV, tree in Quezon City so I wonder just how many people have to die or become seriously injured for the govt to take real meaningful action to stop all these crashes. I have to wonder why the driver fled the scene? Could it be that he was drinking or on drugs?   Around 20 passengers were injured when the bus they were riding hit a sport utility vehicle (SUV), clipped the center island, cut into the opposite lane and slammed into a tree along East Avenue in Quezon City yesterday.  Investigator Police Officer 2 Romeo Rangas of the Quezon City Police District Traffic Enforcement Unit (TEU) said the victims were taken to the East Avenue Medical Center (EAMC), just across where the accident happened.  Rangas said the bus driver, identified only as “Jamisola,” 30, employed by Safeway Bus Lines, Inc (SBLI), fled the scene shortly after the collision.