Mindanao – Trapped In A ‘Power Crisis’

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

How bad is it for those of you who live in Mindanao or have family there? Cebu has blackouts but it seems Mindanao is getting the worst of it.The sizzling summer months left Mindanao consumers snared in a double whammy of long-hours of rotating brownouts, and the subsequent price spikes also cut deep into their pockets. It’s already July, but situations haven’t really improved much for them – the power supply crisis of the past months, to say the least, truly left them an indelible experience. The loudest of voices inordinately cast the blame on parties that provided scant power during those crisis times – that whatever remedial measures have been resorted to – for the complaining customers and distribution utilities, the whole strategy all spelled “f-l-a-w-e-d.” The rap sheet talked of power providers allegedly cornering hefty returns and the regulators supposed indiscretion at its decision allowing cost recoveries for power supply wheeled into load customers of system operator National Grid Corporation of the Philippines. If anyone merely listens to the heated debates, everything seemed convincing. The situation is desperate after all, so it’s easier falling into the trap of sensationalism rather than dealing with the issues of real substance. But for the more inquisitive ones: There are more realistic and tough questions seeking answers: What really went amiss in Mindanao? If important facts are to be ignored, can Mindanao power supply problem be solved? And if the truth is shunted aside or becomes hostage in the realm of mudslinging, will future developments turn our better for the consumers? The whole story here

Jake
Posted
Posted

The power situation has not improved for the last 20-30 years with remote areas suffering the most. From my understanding, one of the ways to provide needed power in remote areas are big generators on power barges that can be relocated along any river. The problem with that in the past has been mismanagement and corruption once the NEW power barges are transferred to the local operators. It's call BOT -- build, operate and transfer. The builders are power experts from other countries and the problem arises when local operators start using diluted/low grade fuel for the new generators. It is my sincere hope that the new administration would enforce existing rules and regulations across the board, including Bureau of Immigration, Customs, Law enforcement and of course the power infrastructure. Respectfully -- Jake

love2winalot
Posted
Posted

Hiya: We had a brownout in Morong, bataan, 4 times when i was there in may-june. One lasted 8 hours, from 7 am to 7 pm. The other 3 lasted from 8am to noon, back on a couple of hours, and off again until 7-8 pm. Only once was any, "Romor/notice given". Here is the thing. In a province, like the part of morong we live in, there is NO House address. So, when we get our Bills, they are always late, and always have the, "Past Due" stamped on them. And usualy a note of how we need to pay it right away. Other Bills, Internet-cell phone-ect, we can pay before actually getting the bill, as the total due is the same each month. The power bill can not be done this way.So, here is my question. If they, "The Power Company", can stamp a bill, and type in notices on a bill, Then why can't they put the Brown Outs dates for the next month on the Bill? A lot of poor people have little food. They have No Transportation. So, at 8 am their power goes off, the food in their little refridgarator can verry well spoil. So, Now it ends up being a race to the sellers of Block Ice, to put the food in a chest with Ice. There is never enough Ice. We are looking at buying a Generator, but i have no idea what size we want to get, and how much, "power" we want during the brownouts and blackouts.

Jake
Posted
Posted
Hiya: We had a brownout in Morong, bataan, 4 times when i was there in may-june. One lasted 8 hours, from 7 am to 7 pm. The other 3 lasted from 8am to noon, back on a couple of hours, and off again until 7-8 pm. Only once was any, "Romor/notice given". Here is the thing. In a province, like the part of morong we live in, there is NO House address. So, when we get our Bills, they are always late, and always have the, "Past Due" stamped on them. And usualy a note of how we need to pay it right away. Other Bills, Internet-cell phone-ect, we can pay before actually getting the bill, as the total due is the same each month. The power bill can not be done this way.So, here is my question. If they, "The Power Company", can stamp a bill, and type in notices on a bill, Then why can't they put the Brown Outs dates for the next month on the Bill? A lot of poor people have little food. They have No Transportation. So, at 8 am their power goes off, the food in their little refridgarator can verry well spoil. So, Now it ends up being a race to the sellers of Block Ice, to put the food in a chest with Ice. There is never enough Ice. We are looking at buying a Generator, but i have no idea what size we want to get, and how much, "power" we want during the brownouts and blackouts.
Living out in the boonies (about an hours drive south of Subic Bay) has its pros and cons.If I may suggest (even though it's greasing the system) that you get familiar with yourfriendly mail man and offer him some sort of "gift". Educated him on the exact location ofyour residence and hopefully would delivery your mail on time. I assume that you havesubmitted your certificate of residence for Morong, Bataan. As far as buying a generator, here is a website that may assist you in your selection:http://getclub.space...px?sa=506174067Respectfully -- JakePS -- beautiful home displayed in Google Earth "Gloria's Villa"

love2winalot
Posted
Posted

hiya: Thanks jake. We know our mailman, and added our names to the entry arch over the driveway. It is the company, smart, power co., cable co. ect. they send out the bills so late, or just assume that you will come in any pay it on your own, and the, "Bill", is just to ask why you have not paid yet? hhehehehe