Typhoon ‘Basyang’ To Hit Central Luzon Today

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Those of you up north and with family up north, please be sure to fill us in on how you and they are. I hope they get lots of rain but spread out so that it does not flood again. Luzon braced for the country’s first typhoon of the year as forecasters warned of floods and possible landslides across wide swathes of the main island as the government ordered schools up to the college level to close today while international flights will be diverted and ships were barred from leaving port.  Typhoon “Basyang” packing maximum sustained winds of 120 kilometers per hour (kph) near the center with gustiness of up to 150 kph, was expected by the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) to hit Central Luzon late last night or early today.   Pagasa spokesman Robert Sawi said at 4 pm yesterday, Basyang was at 40 kilometers (km) north northeast of Daet, Camarines Norte and was moving westward at 22 kph. It is expected to make landfall between Aurora and Northern Quezon area last night and it will be 160 km. northwest of Iba, Zambales by this afternoon. Pagasa expects the typhoon to leave the country by tomorrow afternoon.   Aurora, Northern Quezon, including Polillo Island and Camarines Norte, were placed under public storm Signal No. 3 last night while Signal No. 2 was hoisted over Isabela, Nueva Vizcaya, Nueva Ecija, Quirino, Bulacan, Rizal, Laguna, Southern Quezon, Marinduque, Camarines Sur and Catanduanes. Cagayan, Kalinga, Mt. Province, Ilocos Sur, La Union, Benguet, Ifugao, Pangasinan, Tarlac, Zambales, Pampanga, Bataan, Cavite and Batangas. Metro Manila and Albay were under Signal No. 1 last night.   Pagasa Administrator Prisco Nilo said the typhoon had induced the southwest monsoon thus causing heavy rains of 10 to 20 millimeters per hour within a 250 km radius. Strong winds, Nilo said, is expected to cover a 30 km radius.   Water level in Angat Dam is expected to rise as rain has started pouring in the watershed of Angat Dam based on the monitoring of Pagasa.   “Areas that are in the direct path will experience heavy rains, even areas to the south of the typhoon will have strong rain,” Nilo told reporters.  “It is possible that there will also be landslides or flooding,” he added. The rest of the story here 

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hopefully President Aquino will take the bulls by the horn and get all theneeded manpower and emergency supplies to the affected areas. Hecould really shine on this one. The Filipinos need a great hero these days.Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

We survived Typhoon Basyang! After having no power for 22 hours, it just has been restored a few minutes ago! I don't know how fast the winds were, but it was close to that of Typhoon Millennium of a few years back! Anyway, all is well in our area of Northern Central Luzon in Sta. Rosa, Laguna! All is well with us and that of our other neighbors and close friends!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
We survived Typhoon Basyang! After having no power for 22 hours, it just has been restored a few minutes ago! I don't know how fast the winds were, but it was close to that of Typhoon Millennium of a few years back! Anyway, all is well in our area of Northern Central Luzon in Sta. Rosa, Laguna! All is well with us and that of our other neighbors and close friends!
Thank you Art, good to know you are all OK.  :th_thholysheep:

softail
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the update. My wifes family is in Los Banos and Bay Laguna I wonder how that they made out? I'll have to have her call them tonight.Doug and Sally

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Seems the typhoon did a lot of damage.   ‘Basyang’ leaves 20 dead, major damage The death toll from a typhoon that tore across the country rose to 20 yesterday, authorities said.At least 12 persons were crushed to death by trees, walls and other objects, while most of the others drowned and one was electrocuted, according to authorities.The deaths occurred in six provinces on the Philippines’ main island of Luzon, including on the outskirts of Manila.the rest of the story can be viewed here And then there is the economic toll of the storm Manila blackout to cost businesses P10B a day

post-40-12791224868998_thumb.png

softail
Posted
Posted

A couple of my wife’s sisters live in Bay Laguna, she called last night to see how they were. It seems that the whole street is flooded in front of there houses which are across from the river. They said the water is up to there waist in the street and that the water is up to the second step on the porch to there houses but at this point no one has water in there houses.One thing that I find amazing is that there were no whiners in the bunch, they were all asking how we are and what we have been doing even as the water is lapping at the steps to there house. Amazing people.Doug and Sally