Disaster Preparedness

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,In light of typhoon season hitting the Philippines, I'm a very curious on how some of you folks made it through your own nightmares, either in PI or home country. My good buddy Art located south of Manila taught me a lesson tonight about conserving battery power. His family is OK and home undamaged.Your suggestion and comments about survival skills and tool kits required during a typhoon/floodingdisaster would be most appreciated.Respectfully -- JakeCheck this out: http://preparedness.com/

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

President Aquino's meeting with PAGASA! President Benigno Aquino let it rip at the state weather service for not warning Manila's residents that Conson would hit the city. "This is not acceptable," Aquino told red-faced weather service officials at an emergency meeting of rescue agencies. "We rely on you to tell us where the potential problems are". "All the agencies have adequately met their responsibilities at this point in time but your information is sorely lacking. We have had this problem for quite a long time." The ill-equipped Philippine weather service came in for criticism in September last year when it failed to warn the residents of Manila about the threat from Tropical Storm Ketsana, which killed 464 people.Read the rest of the article here:http://ph.news.yahoo.com/afp/20100714/tap-philippines-typhoon-5cc1ef8.htmlAt least 20 dead as typhoon hits Philippines

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Since we live in Florida part of the year and Cebu the rest, when storms approach my wife and I will fill the bathtub and buckets with water to flush toilets, fill a lot of one gallon jugs with tap water to drink, stock up on items such as canned foods, noodles and cereals and in Florida we fill up our car with gasoline and fill up a bunch of 5 gallon cans with gasoline, and then get our generator prepped to use if it is needed. In our condo in Cebu we cannot have a generator so we just have lots of batteries, flashlights and battery powered radios in both places. I find that when we buy juice or ice tea in good jugs then if we put those jugs away for the problem times, then we can have plenty of water to drink, wash up with or even flush the toilets with. Best to always be prepared.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Since we live in Florida part of the year and Cebu the rest, when storms approach my wife and I will fill the bathtub and buckets with water to flush toilets, fill a lot of one gallon jugs with tap water to drink, stock up on items such as canned foods, noodles and cereals and in Florida we fill up our car with gasoline and fill up a bunch of 5 gallon cans with gasoline, and then get our generator prepped to use if it is needed. In our condo in Cebu we cannot have a generator so we just have lots of batteries, flashlights and battery powered radios in both places. I find that when we buy juice or ice tea in good jugs then if we put those jugs away for the problem times, then we can have plenty of water to drink, wash up with or even flush the toilets with. Best to always be prepared.
Is there a reason why you cant put a small generator on the balcony and enclose it in some sort of sound proofing material?

UZI
Posted
Posted

During todays black out here in Naga (about an hour) we had the chance to test our new 12" mains/battery rechargeable fan we bought in Do It Best.FANTASTIC...........black out............what black out and runs for 5 hours without recharge. Laptop plus Smart Bro dongle, DVD's and a tank of water from our well, we are covered I think.23_11_60[2].gif36_1_68[1].gifUzi

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Is there a reason why you cant put a small generator on the balcony and enclose it in some sort of sound proofing material?
I guess I could keep a small unit such as the tiny quiet Honda to just run small items but I would not wish to waste room on the patio to have one for the every now and then that power goes out, and I do not think they would like me bringing up gasoline and storing it in the unit and even   :th_thbarbaque:   in the unit is not allowed but the do have one down by the pool. Some things we just have to give up when living in a condo but Uzi's battery idea might work for us too.   :lol:  I will have to look into that when we get back to Cebu. Thank you Uzi for the idea. :541: