Who Is Holding The Country Back?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I wonder why it seems the Catholic church has more power in the Philippines than other countries. I don't want this to be a religion topic but it beats the shit out of me why a church holds a country back in my opinion. :Mad:123Philippine bishops ask Aquino to scrap mining lawMANILA July 16 (Reuters) - The Catholic Church in the Philippines, a powerful political and social force, has called on new President Benigno Aquino III to scrap a law that allows foreign investors to fully own local mining ventures. The Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP), in letter signed by Bishop Nerio Odchimar and released on Friday, said natural resources should be used for Filipinos. Aquino, who took office on June 30, has supported the Mining Act, saying foreign investment was essential to develop local industry, create jobs and lift the economy's growth rate. The country's mineral deposits are estimated to be worth $1 trillion. "We are calling for the abrogation of the Mining Act of 1995 that do not adequately protect the interest of our people and the country's natural resources," Odchimar wrote. "Furthermore, we call for a review of all anomalous and controversial mining contracts," he said, asking Aquino to make public all existing mining contracts and applications. The letter was released just over two weeks after the governor of South Cotabato, in her final days in office, banned open-pit mining in the province, putting at risk a $5.2 billion gold-copper prospect operated by Xstrata Plc. Aquino has said he wanted to find a compromise solution.Read full story http://af.reuters.co...lBrandChannel=0

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I wonder why it seems the Catholic church has more power in the Philippines than other countries. I don't want this to be a religion topic but it beats the sh&t out of me why a church holds a country back in my opinion. :Mad:123Philippine bishops ask Aquino to scrap mining lawMANILA July 16 (Reuters) - The Catholic Church in the Philippines, a powerful political and social force, has called on new President Benigno Aquino III to scrap a law that allows foreign investors to fully own local mining ventures.   The Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP), in letter signed by Bishop Nerio Odchimar and released on Friday, said natural resources should be used for Filipinos.   Aquino, who took office on June 30, has supported the Mining Act, saying foreign investment was essential to develop local industry, create jobs and lift the economy's growth rate. The country's mineral deposits are estimated to be worth $1 trillion.   "We are calling for the abrogation of the Mining Act of 1995 that do not adequately protect the interest of our people and the country's natural resources," Odchimar wrote.   "Furthermore, we call for a review of all anomalous and controversial mining contracts," he said, asking Aquino to make public all existing mining contracts and applications.   The letter was released just over two weeks after the governor of South Cotabato, in her final days in office, banned open-pit mining in the province, putting at risk a $5.2 billion gold-copper prospect operated by Xstrata Plc.   Aquino has said he wanted to find a compromise solution.Read full story http://af.reuters.co...lBrandChannel=0
The short answer (I know unusual for me :thumbsup: ) is Crab Mentality and from that article it appears the bishop is not exempt. 

Jake
Posted
Posted

This chronic issue about separation of state and church reminds me of a dog taking a dump, circles back and smells his own sh&t again, and again.....It's all about the potential voting base from each church group and to obligate their chosen one to return the favor once in office. In this particular case of mining operations, internal government controls likethe Ombudsman and Dept of Interior, should have taken the lead to investigate any abnormalities and NOT have the church get involved again. But the cycle continues........Respectfully -- Jake