Why Don't People Help Others, And Why Are The Poor Left To Die

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I have taken some quotes from another thread HERE  which is no doubt part of the frustrations that a lot of us face when seeing how Filipinos are just left to die. I have to wonder why hospitals and doctors seem to have no compassion for their fellow man or woman and would rather let them die if they have no money to pay for care. Shouldn't this issue be a top priority of the Philippine government to resolve?  and where has the compassion gone? One of our nephews baby died in a hospital and the hospital held the body for ransom until the bill was paid, so I have to wonder, if they did not help the baby and it died, why do they even feel they deserve to get paid? What happened to caring for their fellow man or woman? Why has money become the main driving force that seems to drive many Filipinos thoughts? Sorry but I get extremely frustrated when money becomes more important than a grieving families need to bury their baby or the care that would be needed to save a life, and it is bad enough that the baby and the young lady in the original thread died because of poor medical care, but to add insult to injury, by being uncaring is just terrible IMO.

Words can not describe my distaste for the catholic church and how they mismanage this country, the once pearl of asia.
Sorry to hear that also angry as she was obviously not fit enough to go home. Do you know what the cause of loss was? Its things like this that make me wonder why I stay here sometimes.
Tropical, that is the part that made me so angry. The said her liver, but they never ran ANY tests. The old saying here is, no money, you die. Well, that is exactly what happened to this sweet pinay. I was telling Lee the other day about a pinay I witnessed get run over by a slow moving multi cab while we were driving and stuck in traffic on the opposite side of the road. The girls leg was broke, compound, and I am sure had some other injuries internal. I hopped out of my car and ran over. Not ONE other person came to this pinays aid. Me, being still set in western standards did the entire lay down, check for shock, pulse, worried her neck could be broken, stop the bleeding and...call for an ambulance. I'm yelling dial 911 (usa number for help) but the driver just places her in the front seat with her friend. She was in so much pain, her leg mangled.....and I am thinking how is this girl going to pay for this? Will they turn her away? My GF said the driver has to pay, as did Lee. Well, not to get into the horror stories I have heard with expats and the private hospitals here in the PI, I could only imagine what a public place must be like.

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

Too true! That has baffled me also. Have seen families having to pawn belongings, furniture, etc. to pay for a family members' treatment...often not enough and the patient is discharged whilst still in a mess.Why would the government now decide to act...it hasn't for centuries. Only interested in looking after itself and living the high, selfish and often corrupt life.I was amazed on my last visit some months ago when the nephew of the president entered the bar with 5 bodyguards....ALL of them were obese and went on to down copious amounts of alcohol and feed their fat faces to even fuller!Sorry, but I find this self proclaimed 'lovely Christian nation' a hypocritical farce. The Catholic church mentioned above...huh? Never seen a priest or nun sleeping on the streets and in need of food whilst the flock teeters on starvation and desperation.Expats say they move to the Philippines to escape the rat race of the Western world....fair enough, you can support yourself in this poor country....but it's a bigger rat race for the nationals who can't. And that, perhaps, is why so many behave with rat like mentalities.Maybe we need a Mother Theresa to land.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

What can the Philippine government do when the poverty level is already at 36 million people and still growing with not enough free clinics to go around to every municipalities or barrios in the provinces? From behind the scenes, people are dying every day from filth and diseases! And with the annual calamities due to mother nature, it really puts a strain on the Philippine government's emergency funds! Maybe their new President will make a difference during his term! :cheers:23_11_59[1].gif

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted (edited)

But how did it ever get to that state in the first place. Long term greed and corruption by politicians who don't really give a damn! Emergency funds? For what? The 302nd pair of shoes? The replacement bowl of rice to keep the obesity level steady? The new bullets to knock off a contender?

Edited by roy2cebu

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

The main understanding why there are so many people in poverty is, corrupt government, especially under the Marcos' dictatorship for 20 years when the American military bases were still in operation and the other Presidents thereafter, where the wealth of the Philippines have been plundered over and over and nothing went into improving the lives of the poor Filipino people for years and of course, the undisciplined and uncontrollable population explosion in the past 40 years contributed to their present dilemma of high unemployment and poverty! Not much in agricultural or natural resources for export, all that the Philippine government can rely is with the OFW's remittances, high taxes, foreign investors, immigration fees and tourism! So, it's now time for a new honest and discipline government to make a difference!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I have taken some quotes from another thread HERE which is no doubt part of the frustrations that a lot of us face when seeing how Filipinos are just left to die. I have to wonder why hospitals and doctors seem to have no compassion for their fellow man or woman and would rather let them die if they have no money to pay for care. Shouldn't this issue be a top priority of the Philippine government to resolve? and where has the compassion gone? One of our nephews baby died in a hospital and the hospital held the body for ransom until the bill was paid, so I have to wonder, if they did not help the baby and it died, why do they even feel they deserve to get paid? What happened to caring for their fellow man or woman? Why has money become the main driving force that seems to drive many Filipinos thoughts? Sorry but I get extremely frustrated when money becomes more important than a grieving families need to bury their baby or the care that would be needed to save a life, and it is bad enough that the baby and the young lady in the original thread died because of poor medical care, but to add insult to injury, by being uncaring is just terrible IMO.
I don't think its anything about not caring but their hands are tied,if you ran a car work shop and your customers came to you to fix their cars but had no money to pay then you would have to turn them away.Hospitals,doctors or nurses cant foot the bill for patients so what else can they do?Yes the government really needs to work on health like may things that need money,maybe the new president that has vowed to catch tax cheats and to enforce every income earner to pay their share of tax will get some revenue where its needed most and not into some money hungry corrupt pocket.:(