Police Checkpoints, Are They Good Or Bad

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I can see how checkpoints can be a deterrent to some forms of crime and while they do not bother me because I am retired and rarely in a rush to get anywhere, I wonder if the 80% figure would be accurate when people were late for work or would that be acceptable in the scheme of life in the Philippines. 80% of Filipinos want police checkpoints back – survey

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I can see how checkpoints can be a deterrent to some forms of crime and while they do not bother me because I am retired and rarely in a rush to get anywhere, I wonder if the 80% figure would be accurate when people were late for work or would that be acceptable in the scheme of life in the Philippines. 80% of Filipinos want police checkpoints back – survey
I would say as the Country runs on "Philippines" time that being late for work would not be an issue,in my opinion check points would be a good idea as long as the locations were random.

Mik
Posted
Posted

Police checkpoints are bad. Setting up a checkpoint assumes everyone is guilty of something and the police are out to discover what that is. It's simply unconstitutional if that matters anymore..

Jake
Posted
Posted

I'm with the majority in favor of continuation of PNP checkpoints throughout the country.A significant amount of loose weapons (handguns and bladed weapons) have been taken.Whether or not that reduces criminal activities remains to be seen. There are still a smallnumber of soldiers and police officers that goes "moonlighting" to augment their meagersalary.My major concern is when approaching a checkpoint, one often wonders if the checkpoints are potential extortion/ambush sites with fake uniforms and badges. Respectfully -- Jake

BobNChe
Posted
Posted

There are lots of different types of checkpoints. Each has it's own particular target regarding what they are checking or searching for. I say as long as they are legit and not like the ones the police set up near Baguio after the storms, then so be it. They get guns and weapons off the streets, although a minor amount. Never even had a second look from one whether riding taxi, jeepney or walking!