Getting Visa Interview....

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

Everything went smoothly getting Charity's VISA until the packet reached Manila and it was time to set up her interview appointment.  I called today for the 3rd time to make her VISA interview.  The first time I called I had just received the letter that has the Manila case number on it, I was told that her info was not in the system yet and that I should call back in 2-4 weeks....fair enough...they had just gotten her packet.  So I call back 2 weeks later, and still they don't have her info in the system and cannot schedule her appointment.  I was told to give to call back in 1 more week and her case should be ready and I could schedule her appointment.  I called again this morning and was told, yes her info is in the system and that we are able to schedule her interview....except....they are upgrading their systems this week and won't be able to schedule any appointments till late in the week.I'm not sure whether to be totally frustrated or laugh about the whole thing...maybe laughing about it is the only thing that will keep me sane at the moment.  Either way I can't believe that they would shut down the entire systems for upgrade.  That tells me that no work is getting accomplished on visas at the Manila Embassy this week.  So if anyone else is waiting for a visa at the moment, expect a 1 week delay.  Anyway just thought I'd share my frustration for the day...hopefully I'll have better luck on Friday when I call (knock on wood).  

parksb2
Posted
Posted (edited)
Everything went smoothly getting Charity's VISA until the packet reached Manila and it was time to set up her interview appointment. I called today for the 3rd time to make her VISA interview. The first time I called I had just received the letter that has the Manila case number on it, I was told that her info was not in the system yet and that I should call back in 2-4 weeks....fair enough...they had just gotten her packet. So I call back 2 weeks later, and still they don't have her info in the system and cannot schedule her appointment. I was told to give to call back in 1 more week and her case should be ready and I could schedule her appointment. I called again this morning and was told, yes her info is in the system and that we are able to schedule her interview....except....they are upgrading their systems this week and won't be able to schedule any appointments till late in the week.I'm not sure whether to be totally frustrated or laugh about the whole thing...maybe laughing about it is the only thing that will keep me sane at the moment. Either way I can't believe that they would shut down the entire systems for upgrade. That tells me that no work is getting accomplished on visas at the Manila Embassy this week. So if anyone else is waiting for a visa at the moment, expect a 1 week delay. Anyway just thought I'd share my frustration for the day...hopefully I'll have better luck on Friday when I call (knock on wood).
Dude, know how you feel... We did the Canada thing and the first immigration lawyer we hired wasted 5 months of our time..Once you understand the process it's easy. The second immigration lawyer closed everything off in a matter of 4 months. If it's like Canada keep all documentation, hotel stays, dinners, IM chat logs everything !Even when frustrated stay calm, polite and focused, the people I know of who've gone ballistic seem to take a bit more thoroughness; http://dictionary.re...se/thoroughnessNote #3 as per the link "extremely attentive to accuracy and detail; painstaking: " Best of luck. Edited by parksb2

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Everything went smoothly getting Charity's VISA until the packet reached Manila and it was time to set up her interview appointment.  I called today for the 3rd time to make her VISA interview.  The first time I called I had just received the letter that has the Manila case number on it, I was told that her info was not in the system yet and that I should call back in 2-4 weeks....fair enough...they had just gotten her packet.  So I call back 2 weeks later, and still they don't have her info in the system and cannot schedule her appointment.  I was told to give to call back in 1 more week and her case should be ready and I could schedule her appointment.  I called again this morning and was told, yes her info is in the system and that we are able to schedule her interview....except....they are upgrading their systems this week and won't be able to schedule any appointments till late in the week.I'm not sure whether to be totally frustrated or laugh about the whole thing...maybe laughing about it is the only thing that will keep me sane at the moment.  Either way I can't believe that they would shut down the entire systems for upgrade.  That tells me that no work is getting accomplished on visas at the Manila Embassy this week.  So if anyone else is waiting for a visa at the moment, expect a 1 week delay.  Anyway just thought I'd share my frustration for the day...hopefully I'll have better luck on Friday when I call (knock on wood).  
As we all know, government has two speeds, slow and slower, so we just have to roll with them. You application was approved with record speed, so I guess now comes the waiting part. One comment that I would like to make to all who apply for visas is, in this day and age of computers, there is not too much that a government cannot find out about us if they dig deep enough or take the time to try. One story that comes to mind was when an elderly gentleman was trying to buy a gun and he put down that he had never been convicted of a felony to the questions "have you EVER been convicted of a felony," and was subsequently rejected when they found out that he had in fact been convicted of a felony when he was a teenager, and his reply was "but that happened over 60 years ago before computers." Lying on any government form can have many repercussions in the future including but not limited to a jail sentence or cancellation of the visa and then deportation for filing false information on the visa in the first place.  Oh and believe it or not, they arrested this elderly gentleman and charged him with lying on a federal form and for a convicted felon trying to buy a firearm.  The world is not always fair.added, I am of course not talking about Brett and Charity in any way with my comments

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello Brett and Charity,Congratulations on your upcoming visa interview! Just make sure you guys have somebreakfast before you spend at least a couple hours waiting to be called up. According to Marko's post on his recent visit to the US Embassy, you are allowed to bring your cell phone but must surrender it at the security desk. The problem is you may have to stand in line again just to retrieve it. The actual interview conducted by an American official was anticlimactic for Judy and me. It was short and sweet as long as you have your paper work in order, which I know you have already as a US Air Force puke. I'm sure you have researched all the preparations inleading up to the interview but for the benefit of other members, the following blog datedMarch 2008 details the whole process:http://blog.waywardp...-i-made-on.htmlAdditionally, I don't know if the Philippine DFA (Dept of Foreign Affairs) still requires an endorsement stamp on her passport after the visa approval. Also, please allow yourselves some flexibility about your departure. Open return tickets or sufficient time to offset any unforeseen delays is strongly advised.Respectfully -- Jake (a US Navy puke)

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

Right now I'm just trying to take it all in stride, letting in bother me too much won't do any good and we actually still have plenty of time.  (I may not be so calm if time was more pressing) As long as she gets her interview and receives the visa by November it will be all good, so we can move to the states together when I PCS mid-November.  Thanks for the tips Bruce, we should have all the documentation we need...airline tickets, bank statements, IM's, pictures, hotel receipts, and more.  I know the more the better so I've tried to collect as much "proof" of our relationship as possible.  Plus all the proof for support...tax return, W2s, LES (pay stub for you civilians :3_8_14[1]: )  and Proof of Service letter.  So hopefully that'll all the sufficient.Thanks for the link Jake!  That was definitely an interesting read.  :3_8_14[1]:  Charity enjoyed it too.  The guy was really detailed.  At least now we kinda know what to expect for the interview.