I Guess These Dr's Never Checked Filipinos

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Many Filipinos do seem to shuffle their feet from what I have seen so maybe that accounts for them being able to better deal with flip-flops than some other people. Most non Filipinos I see in the Philippines seem to wear a form of sandals so I wonder if their feet, legs and ankles hurt? I wear imitation crocks a lot of the time around the house both while in the Philippines and in the states and they do not cause me any pain but flip-flops do cause me problems so they are not for me, what about you? Flip-flops aren't always easy on the feet   Podiatrists say people who have flat feet or other foot issues should wear a more structured shoe. That's because walking in flip-flops can be tough on the structure of the foot. According to a 2008 study from Auburn University, researchers found that wearing thong-style flip-flops resulted in pain in the ankles, legs and feet. The investigators found that flip-flop wearers took shorter steps and that their heels hit the ground with less vertical force than when the same walkers wore athletic shoes.

UZI
Posted
Posted
Many Filipinos do seem to shuffle their feet from what I have seen so maybe that accounts for them being able to better deal with flip-flops than some other people. Most non Filipinos I see in the Philippines seem to wear a form of sandals so I wonder if their feet, legs and ankles hurt? I wear imitation crocks a lot of the time around the house both while in the Philippines and in the states and they do not cause me any pain but flip-flops do cause me problems so they are not for me, what about you? Flip-flops aren't always easy on the feet Podiatrists say people who have flat feet or other foot issues should wear a more structured shoe. That's because walking in flip-flops can be tough on the structure of the foot. According to a 2008 study from Auburn University, researchers found that wearing thong-style flip-flops resulted in pain in the ankles, legs and feet. The investigators found that flip-flop wearers took shorter steps and that their heels hit the ground with less vertical force than when the same walkers wore athletic shoes.
Lee,On the subject of flat feet. I think Asians are built different starting at a very early age.Question - Who here can squat, soles of there feet flat on the ground. I for sure cannot. My heels are well off the ground but every Filipino can sit like that all day if needed.Uzi

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Many Filipinos do seem to shuffle their feet from what I have seen so maybe that accounts for them being able to better deal with flip-flops than some other people. Most non Filipinos I see in the Philippines seem to wear a form of sandals so I wonder if their feet, legs and ankles hurt? I wear imitation crocks a lot of the time around the house both while in the Philippines and in the states and they do not cause me any pain but flip-flops do cause me problems so they are not for me, what about you? Flip-flops aren't always easy on the feet  Podiatrists say people who have flat feet or other foot issues should wear a more structured shoe. That's because walking in flip-flops can be tough on the structure of the foot. According to a 2008 study from Auburn University, researchers found that wearing thong-style flip-flops resulted in pain in the ankles, legs and feet. The investigators found that flip-flop wearers took shorter steps and that their heels hit the ground with less vertical force than when the same walkers wore athletic shoes.
Lee,On the subject of flat feet. I think Asians are built different starting at a very early age.Question - Who here can squat, soles of there feet flat on the ground. I for sure cannot. My heels are well off the ground but every Filipino can sit like that all day if needed.Uzi
That may be one possible answer or it is just how they have been brought up and how they have used their feet and legs verses how we have used ours all our lives. I know that martial artists and many sports people can bend and twist in ways that most of us would never be able to do, and I used to be able to stand with legs spread far apart and almost down to the ground but the less I did it the less I could do it so muscles tend to tighten up if not continually stretched.  I wonder if Filipino born Americans such as Jake or Art can sit like that? I would bet probably not but it would be interesting to find out if it is how they are built or how they use what they were built with.  My guess is that it is more about conditioning than them being different from us.BTW, I fall over  :D when I try to squat like some of our family can and my heals come up too. 

Jake
Posted
Posted

I probably can only do the "Joe squat" no more than a couple minutes. By the way, this adaptationis common in any culture where there is no place to sit or a horizontal surface that is really dirty,like a dirt road while waiting for a jeepney.Jake

Mik
Posted
Posted

I read the article. I don't listen to doctors. After being a lifelong wearer of tennis shoes (and chronic athlete's foot), I've been wearing Islander flip flops everyday for nearly five years. (After the first year my athlete's foot problem went away permanently.) Flip flops are good for any activity, even walking, basketball, mowing the lawn (not advisable unless sober). No foot problems. I'm not a heavy guy so there's not much pressure on my feet. This kind of flip flop I wear has a ridge just back of my toe pads. My foot gets a grip even when the rubber is wet. Some other flip flops are smooth and if it gets wet or sweaty your foot will slip unless you adjust your stride.1020-isl-300x172.jpg.