Passports In Country

No name
Posted
Posted

Has anyone ever needed to pull out their passport in the Philippines for anything other than BI?What about air travel within the country? Do Ferry companies every ask for them? I've never been asked but seems like I was asked for one at a airport once for in country travel.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Has anyone ever needed to pull out their passport in the Philippines for anything other than BI?What about air travel within the country? Do Ferry companies every ask for them?  I've never been asked but seems like I was asked for one at a airport once for in country travel.
I have never been asked for my passport anywhere we traveled around within the Philippines and I only carry a copy, but I had been asked for copies when booking a flight at PAL and trying to use my air miles. So other than as a form of identification like when opening a bank account or when trying to cash travelers checks etc, it should not be needed, yet I can see the day in the future coming when people will be stopped to see their I cards or passports in any government type building or airport or maybe randomly in public places. Freedom is disappearing daily in the new world.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Has anyone ever needed to pull out their passport in the Philippines for anything other than BI?What about air travel within the country? Do Ferry companies every ask for them? I've never been asked but seems like I was asked for one at a airport once for in country travel.
I have never been asked for my passport anywhere we traveled around within the Philippines and I only carry a copy, but I had been asked for copies when booking a flight at PAL and trying to use my air miles. So other than as a form of identification like when opening a bank account or when trying to cash travelers checks etc, it should not be needed, yet I can see the day in the future coming when people will be stopped to see their I cards or passports in any government type building or airport or maybe randomly in public places. Freedom is disappearing daily in the new world.
I've always thought that it was a legal requirement for foreign visitors to carry their passports with them but I found a number of sites recommending to carry a copy and leave the passport in a safe place so I guess you're doing it the right way.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Has anyone ever needed to pull out their passport in the Philippines for anything other than BI?What about air travel within the country? Do Ferry companies every ask for them?  I've never been asked but seems like I was asked for one at a airport once for in country travel.
I've always thought that it was a legal requirement for foreign visitors to carry their passports with them but I found a number of sites recommending to carry a copy and leave the passport in a safe place so I guess you're doing it the right way.
Mike and others, as most of you know we live in Cebu part of the year and have a condo there, so therefore we have a place to keep our passports safe during our time in country, so if a person has a safe place to keep their passports, then I recommend doing so, but if not then each person has to decide which is the lessor of the two evils, carrying their passport and taking a chance of losing it, or leaving it in a hotel or hotel lock box and possibly taking a chance of it getting lost that way. So the choice will depend on each of our situations but no matter what a person decides to do, make sure to have copies in a few different places in case your passport were to get stolen or lost.  I scan mine into my computer and email myself a copy and save it to my email address in case I need to get another copy and all others have been lost.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted (edited)

You have to carry your ACR-I card. I don't usually carry my passport but have used it as ID for E-tickets for internal flights.Never ever needed a passport or any ID for a boat trip.Regards; Jim

Edited by Jim Sibbick